repriming 7.62x54R

PDA

judaspriest
April 15, 2007, 10:43 PM
Hi all,

I am a reloading newbie and have a naive question.

I have a bunch of corrosive 7.62x54R hungarian (here are the specs (http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo007.htm)) and I saw a post on THR about reloading berdan primers. Would it be feasible to replace the corrosive primers with non-corrosive ones (having removed the bullet and the charge first, of course)? Ideally, I'd like not to have to detonate the primers before removing them (to avoid having to clean the salts from the cases). Is it possible?

Thanks for any tips!

If you enjoyed reading about "repriming 7.62x54R" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
armoredman
April 15, 2007, 11:57 PM
Really a PITA. Steel cases are no good for reloading, anyway. Get some Grafs brass, and start fresh. Shoot up your surplus, and have fun with it, or save it for a "rainy" day.
I use Grafs with Hornady 150gr .312 303 bullets with H-4895, good stuff.

NuJudge
April 16, 2007, 08:02 PM
I believe the Hungarian uses .254" Berdan primers.

RWS still markets .254" and a lot of other sizes in Europe, and I read recently that a specialty ammunition maker in Australia catering to filmmakers there got a shipment of many thousands, but has not shipped any here in a very long time. The last importer of .254" Berdan primers to the US was Old Western Scrounger, and before the business was closed and sold, he told me he had been trying for years to get more, being told by RWS that RWS was out of them and might never make more.

Before about 1990, it was hard to find 7.62x54R brass, except for expensive Norma. I reloaded a lot of brass-cased berdan primed Chinese 7.62x54R, that came from who knows where, to shoot in a Tokarev I hate field-stripping.

Some types of 7.62x54R was made with the more available .217" primer, Albanian for example. PMC imported two batches of .217" Berdan primers to the US, and sold out awhile ago. I have a lot of the .217" berdan primers, and once I empty some more Albanian brass I will try reloading a batch.

CDD

Jim Watson
April 16, 2007, 08:30 PM
I can't imagine how to decap an unfired Berdan primer, except maybe hydraulically.

Read up on cleaning after chlorate primers and go shooting with your Windex.

mek42
April 17, 2007, 01:49 AM
I have heard that WD-40 deactivates primers. Do your own research on this and don't try to track me down if this isn't true and you lose a hand.

I have a 20 pack of Boxer primed Wolf brass cased ammunition for 7.62x54R (Wolf Gold, fwiw), but this isn't listed on their website - maybe it is no longer made.

jeepmor
April 17, 2007, 06:12 AM
I've pressed out a couple of live primers before, slow and easy is the key. It takes the sudden strike to ignite, not a slow press, they will deform and come out of the primer pocket. Granted, that's been on boxer primers.

On berdans, I did decap one at one time by mistake, my decapping pin wiggled just a little bit and punched the primer out just fine. I noticed it as odd, inspected it, and culled out that particular case. Then I watched my brass a little more closely because I don't want to break my decapping pin.

On that note, I have about 10 or more of these in military brass that I just tumbled all nice and shiny in hopes of parting with them to reloaders with this rifle. I then I noticed they were berdan primers and put them back into my recycle brass bucket.

If interested, PM me and I can arrange to ship them to you.

jeepmor

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
April 17, 2007, 06:22 AM
With several folks selling both brass and reloadable ammo for the 7.62 X 54, I wouldn't advise anyone bother trying to reload berdan primed ammo, especially stuff that's originally been loaded and fired with corrosive primers.

Buy yourself some Graf's brass or some Privi Partisan or Wolf Gold ammo. Then you'll be money, marbles, time and effort ahead.

Regards,

Dave

Davo
April 17, 2007, 02:36 PM
The cheapest way I have found is to pull the components, and reload them in brass cases with modern boxer primers. Ive used a lee loader and gotten 10 firings out of SB brass through a 91-30. You will also get improved accuracy. Surplus ammo uses poor bullets, and inconsistant powder charges.

Afy
April 17, 2007, 02:41 PM
Shoot the ammo.. clean the gun... toss the brass.

Get Boxer primed brass next time... :evil:

FieroCDSP
April 17, 2007, 03:41 PM
I have a question on cleaning the mil-surp ammo. I have 880 rnds of Hungarian 50's run, (plus I shoot some 7.62x39 in my SKS), which I'm pretty sure is corrosive. Are ammonia based cleaners the only thing that kills the corrosives, or will warm-soapy water do it also.? This may seem ignorant coming from someone who's done so many posts, but I'd rather ask and make sure than find a barrel full of red-fuzz later.

EricTheBarbarian
April 17, 2007, 04:15 PM
warm soapy water will work. some people use windex and warm soapy water. clean the bolt face real good and the barrel with warm soapy water. dry completely and then lightly oil and you will be fine. i havent had a barrel rust up on me yet.

EricTheBarbarian
April 17, 2007, 04:17 PM
warm soapy water will work. the corrosive salts are water soluble. some people use windex and warm soapy water. clean the bolt face real good and the barrel with warm soapy water. most aks except for yugos have chrome lined barrels to help prevent corrosion from corrosive ammo. you will want to clean the gas system real good with the ak as well. dry completely and then lightly oil and you will be fine. i havent had a barrel rust up on me yet.

FieroCDSP
April 17, 2007, 04:26 PM
Okay, that's what I thought. I've got an M44 that I scrubbed the barrel on, and am going to have to do again. Surplus is a crap-shoot sometimes. I used oil and steel-wool on it and got a lot of the crap out. I'll have to try that with the SKS. Thanks Eric. I hit it with the soapy water as soon as I return from the range and then clean immediately.

Matt Dillon
April 17, 2007, 04:57 PM
I would not use steel wool in your bore - have you tried using an electronic bore cleaner? I believe that someone on surplusrifle.com had a good article on creating a cheap electronic bore cleaner. That and some bore paste, along with some elbow grease with good brushes and patches will be better for your bore than steel wool!:what:

Sam Adams
April 18, 2007, 02:32 PM
I use Grafs with Hornady 150gr .312 303 bullets with H-4895, good stuff.

What rifle? How much powder, what OAL? Most importantly, what results?

Me and my M-39 want to know.

Sam Adams
April 18, 2007, 02:34 PM
Shoot the ammo.. clean the gun... toss the brass.

...take the cannolis. http://www.moviesounds.com/godfathr/canoli.wav

If you enjoyed reading about "repriming 7.62x54R" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!