Question on CCI Blazer aluminum cartridges

PDA

gregma
April 17, 2007, 12:06 AM
Please forgive me if this is the wrong forum, I couldn't find a general "ammo" forum.

I have seen this CCI Blazer ammo. It states that it's aluminum? How safe is that? I've never had experience with anything except brass.

Thanks!
Greg

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on CCI Blazer aluminum cartridges" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
April 17, 2007, 12:13 AM
As safe as any... one time; which is why they are made with Berdan primers to discourage reloading. I have shot a fair number of them and know people who shoot nothing else with no mangled bodies to show for it.

Sunray
April 17, 2007, 01:27 AM
CCI Blazer isn't great ammo, but it's perfectly safe to shoot. Not all Al is the same either. Engine blocks are made out of Al too.

heypete
April 17, 2007, 03:24 AM
My experience with several hundred rounds of CCI Blazer Aluminum in different calibers (9mm and .45 ACP) has led me to believe that it's excellent ammunition for everyday practice.

If you don't reload and just leave your cases at the range (as is common at indoor ranges), it's a little bit cheaper than brass-cased ammo (about $0.50/box less).

According to my Class III dealer and friend, using aluminum cased ammo in open-bolt automatic firearms like an Uzi can cause the cases to rupture. He advises one sticks with brass-cased ammo for such guns. I have no personal experience with such rupturing, as I lack an Uzi (for now).

jmorris
April 17, 2007, 10:44 AM
In my experience, it lacks sufficient case neck tension to keep the bullet from moving around, in some firearms. I have a marlin camp 9 that “blew up” using blazer. Further investigation showed that the ramp was steep enough to further seat the bullet during chambering, causing pressures to skyrocket. I also had a Springfield 9mm 1911 that had the firing pin stop burned out while using blazer (10,000+ rounds later). FWIW I’ve never seen or heard of any problems with Glocks and blazer.

gregma
April 17, 2007, 12:08 PM
Thanks for all the replies! It seems the prevailing opinion is that it is perfectly safe for simple range shooting where you are not going to police your brass. Looks like I'll buy a thousand or so!

Thanks!
Greg

cdrt
April 17, 2007, 12:14 PM
You might want to save the cases and recycle them. I just got 35 cents a pound for a bunch of Blazer cases at the scrap yard.

Navy Vet

Smallwood
June 21, 2007, 01:53 AM
I still have my first box of 9MM blazer CCI,I loaded it in two guns a S@W model 459 and a walther P-1 9MM niether one of these guns would shoot it ,I had just a few rounds fire and the rest all were miss fires .I saved them all except the fired rounds ,the primers were all hit hard as any gun ,so that wasent the problem ,hey only thing i can think of was a bad batch of CCI ammo or the primers were bad ,this ammo is a few years old now as I never tried to shoot it again ,as there is something about misfireing ammo that scares me ,Delayed fire spooks me pretty bad,have any of you all heard anything like this in the pat on CCI 9mm ammo ,or anytype of a recall,Or am I just the lucky owner of a box of defective ammo,thank you ,Smal

The-Fly
June 21, 2007, 02:06 AM
before i started reloading, i shot off several thousand rounds of the cci aluminum 9mm in my glocks and beretta. All of it went bang, and its also pretty clean burning to boot.

heypete
June 21, 2007, 02:55 AM
Smalpecker -- Even though it's been a while, I'd email CCI and give them the lot number of the ammo and describe the problem. At the very least, they'd enter it into their records of issues with that lot.

glockman19
June 21, 2007, 03:21 AM
I shoot lots of CCI ammo I prefer the Blazer Brass. However, I shoot the aluminum in .45 & 357.

EddieCoyle
June 21, 2007, 08:39 AM
Just don't try to reload it (even if you can deal with the Berdan primers). Aluminum work hardens very easily. After one firing, you'd be lucky to be able to reload a case without it splitting. Even if you could get it reloaded, it would almost certainly split or rupture upon firing.

JNewell
June 21, 2007, 09:04 PM
If there was any kind of risk in normal use, believe me, in today's sue-'em-all society, the Blazer line would have been shut down long ago. Some of it is actually not just good but excellent ammo. The .44 Special load with 200 gr Gold Dots gives me superb accuracy in .44M and .44Spec revolvers.

MinnMooney
June 22, 2007, 02:08 AM
I've used an awful lot of CCI aluminum pistol ammo (9mm Luger, .40S&W, .38Spec./.357Mag and .44Mag) and never had a problem with it. Now, however, I reload so if I ever by factory ammo, it's always brass so I can reload the casings.

strat81
June 22, 2007, 04:41 PM
My Glock 26 will occasionally fail to extract a Blazer case, maybe 1 in 100 rounds. Other than that, it's perfectly fine. I usually have a few boxes on hand if I decide to shoot and not collect my brass. However, it is not very accurate. I find WWB, UMC, Am. Eagle, and S&B to be more accurate and less dirty and they are only cost fractionally more and you get brass out of the deal.

Odnar
June 22, 2007, 04:49 PM
Out of approximately 500 rounds in various calibers, never had any problems with it. Seemed just as good as brass cased ammo to me, but I mostly used it for plinking. I don't buy it anymore simply because I want brass to reload.

xsquidgator
June 22, 2007, 05:37 PM
I like the Blazer Brass a lot. Here in FLA 9mm Blazer Brass is maybe up to a buck cheaper per 100 than the WWB, and the blazer brass cases reload very well just like the winchester cases.

I guess it'd be ok to save another 50 cents a box to shoot the Al cases, but even when I wasn't reloading part of me just cringes at the thought of throwing away perfectly good cases!

Smallwood
August 1, 2007, 03:20 AM
I guess Ill send that info to CCI, Usually ammo will last a long time ,so im not sure what the deal with this box is ,I think I will buy another box and try fireing it just to make sure,But I think I have a bad box,it could be anything ,Primer,powder or guns ,Ill let you know.

caz223
August 1, 2007, 08:11 AM
Out of maybe 5k of blazer 9mm, I got 2 case splits.
They were in the top of the case, from the mouth to about 1/2 way down, spit hot powder at me.
If I wasn't wearing my shooting glasses......well, it wouldn't have been good.
No blood, no foul.
I shot many, many blazer 10mm rounds, I have a couple guns that chew my brass up before they spit it out. No sense wasting all my good starline.
Never a problem.
I shot blazer 357SIG by the case, and never had a problem with it, it's discontinued now, something about setback problems...
Shot a few thousand .45 acp blazer ammo, it was great, never a problem, accurate as all get out, but I had to pick the cases up anyway, since I usually shot that gun at the farm.
Shot it in .45 colt, .38 spl, .357 magnum, etc, never a problem.
Never shot any .40 blazer, no opinion on that.
The only problem I had was in 9mm.....

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on CCI Blazer aluminum cartridges" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!