45LC Blanks

PDA

robctwo
April 16, 2007, 11:51 PM
I just started working up a load for blanks for my 45LC. Using 5.5 gr titegroup, enough Cream of Wheat to fill the case up to about 3/8" below the rim, and hot glue to fill the case and seal it. I've tried some with a bit of a tamping, and some without. I've tried up to 7.5 gr and like the 5.5 best. Seems like I'm getting complete powder burn.

If you enjoyed reading about "45LC Blanks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
April 17, 2007, 09:29 AM
Instead of hot glue, try this.

Chamfer a case and make the case mouth sharp. Use it to cut out plastic pieces from milk tops or similar items and use them to seal the case mouth. Crimp over them. Works great in .44 Spl. for shot loads. :)

robctwo
April 17, 2007, 10:01 AM
What die do you use to crimp? Lee FCD?

Walkalong
April 17, 2007, 11:22 AM
Standard crimp die with my RCBS set. Same as a Lee standard crimp.

The shell needs to be full so the powder/shot/filler gives good resistance to the plastic seal to crimp properly. I have done this with .38 and .44 Spl. With powder/cardboard wad/shot/ it works well.

The Cream of Wheat may compact to easily and not give enough resistence. You may have to carefully "compress" it a little. :)

robctwo
April 18, 2007, 12:22 AM
Made a couple up with the plastic disk. Might need something between the filler and the disc that is more compressible than the cream of wheat. I like the plastic and the crimp better than the hot glue.

BigJakeJ1s
April 18, 2007, 09:41 PM
Hornady makes star crimp dies for pistol blanks. Brass probably does not last too long with them though... I think RCBS makes them too?

Andy

Navy_Guns
April 19, 2007, 08:06 AM
Interesting - anyone know if any loading manuals have a recipe for making .45LC shot shells? Any threads on this topic in the forum? I tried the "search" feature and didn't find much.

Jim Watson
April 19, 2007, 08:56 AM
Most shot loads these days are with the Speer plastic capsules, the old stack of gas check, shot, and wad is a lot of work for what you get.
Mike Venturino did an article in a recent Handloader Magazine. He said that the main thing, if snakes are the target, is to find a bag of no 12 shot; the no 9s in the factory loads are too large for a good pattern out of a pistol.

Walkalong
April 19, 2007, 06:03 PM
I bought a 1/4 lb of #12 shot at a gun show way back when and still have some. I have some rat shot loaded with my homemade wads and plastic "keepers?" and also with Speer's shot capsules. Both work well. I was too cheap to buy some capsules untill I found some at a show for cheap. :)

robctwo
May 4, 2007, 12:42 AM
I tried some .410 cardboard spacers with a bit of hot glue. Works good. Also went with some Pyrodex. Dirty, but very impressive smoke and flame. One of my friends shot a few the other day and got a real kick out of them. I think I'll load up a couple hundred to have on hand for the 4th of July.

RexDart
May 4, 2007, 10:48 AM
Interesting - anyone know if any loading manuals have a recipe for making .45LC shot shells?

Firearms Reflections (successor to SurplusRifle.com) has an article on making shotshells for wheelguns (http://www.firearmreflections.com/articles2006/hippocketsnakegun.asp). Though the wheelgun in question is a S&W chambered for .45ACP, the discussion of technique is discussed in detail, and should be adaptable to other calibers.

Walkalong
May 4, 2007, 11:10 AM
I tried some cylinder length brass for my .44 Spl. using cut down .444 Marlin brass, but, as with some bottlenecked revolver rounds, it would back out and lock up the cylinder with a stout charge. I used home cut cardboard wads and plastic keepers because I was too cheap to buy the nice felt wads. :)

I cut the case walls of the very thick .44 case. If I had left it thick and trimmed/sized to fit the cylinder it could have taken a stouter charge without backing out. It would be a fun project to try again. It would hold a LOT of shot.

The Speer capsules work great though. :)

JollyWhiteGiant
May 4, 2007, 02:14 PM
Why not just use parafin wax for the top rather than glue?

snuffy
May 4, 2007, 02:24 PM
I tried some .410 cardboard spacers with a bit of hot glue. Works good. Also went with some Pyrodex. Dirty, but very impressive smoke and flame. One of my friends shot a few the other day and got a real kick out of them. I think I'll load up a couple hundred to have on hand for the 4th of July.

Of course you know that pyrodex is extremely corrosive!? And pyrodex is ONLY disolved by a solvent containing water? Whatever gun you fired those blanks in will need to be completly stripped and cleaned with a water based cleaner.

If you enjoyed reading about "45LC Blanks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!