powder measure bore too big for 223!

PDA

mek42
April 17, 2007, 03:17 AM
My powder measure is a Herter that I purchased well loved from one of the gentlemen at my rifle club. I have been using it to reload 308, 44 and 45 without issue. However, when I tried to reload 223 recently, I learned that the powder dispensing part is too big (bore ID 0.302"). This part is threaded to screw into the powder measure itself with a thread OD of about 0.62". Is this a common thread size for such parts? Will it be worth my time to go looking for an appropriately bored part that will accommodate 223 or will I be better off asking a friend to machine me a replacement part?

For that matter, would a simply machined part be to start with an appropriately sized and threaded bolt, bore it through with a 5/32" (0.15625" - just in case I ever decide to buy and reload for a .17 centerfire) drill bit and use a chamfer bit to open the threaded end to the same dimension as the existing part and the non-threaded end to a little bigger than 1/2"? I could probably do this on my drill press without involving my friend with a lathe.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "powder measure bore too big for 223!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ReloaderFred
April 17, 2007, 03:23 AM
Watch yard sales and gunshows and you can probably pick up a good powder measure that will do what you need for about $10 or $15. I've got 7 powder measures in my shop and some of them were pretty cheap.

Hope this helps.

Fred

ClarkEMyers
April 17, 2007, 12:48 PM
Use a funnel -

Art Eatman
April 17, 2007, 01:52 PM
Clark, you're unsanitary! You took the words right out of my mouth!

Sorta slows things down a tad, but using the funnel solved that same problem for me. :)

Art

griz
April 17, 2007, 02:02 PM
It sounds like a 5/8 inch thread. A good hardware store should carry bolts in that size if you want to try a homemade piece. If you can carry the threaded part to the store it will help when they ask "fine or coarse?"

If you enjoyed reading about "powder measure bore too big for 223!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!