Marley .38?

PDA

icecorps
April 17, 2007, 02:23 PM
Anyone familiar with a revolver with Manufacturer or Model name "Marley?" Archie Goodwin is supposed to carry one in the Nero Wolfe detective stories, but I have found no info so far.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marley .38?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
April 17, 2007, 04:51 PM
A fictional brand.
N. Wolfe kept a Heron automobile for Archie to drive him on his infrequent outings, and there is no such car as that, either.

Jim March
April 17, 2007, 05:06 PM
To get a Marley 38, take a normal 38 case, add 3gr Bullseye, stuff the rest of the shell with a certain herb...

sadsackmac
October 2, 2009, 02:42 AM
I only just found this, but I've been wanting to know about Archie's Marley .38 for a long time. I think Rex Stout was pretty good at inventing fake brands, the Heron sedan and roadster and Celerex camera, as I remember.

For trivia, Archie does mention that he lost "my favorite Colt," in one of the novels; to the police, i think.

Jim K
October 2, 2009, 05:51 PM
At one time, manufacturers were inclined to sue fiction writers whom they saw as bringing their brand name into disrepute, hence the trend to using fictional brand names for cars, locks, guns and so on. Most makers today have given up since courts often ruled that the trade names were in the common vocabulary and could be used in fiction. Plus the makers realized, like Hollywood stars, that any publicity was good publicity as long as the name was spelled right.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Marley .38?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!