So What Is Wrong With The Standard Aimpont 30mm Ring?

PDA

cslinger
April 18, 2007, 01:54 AM
Everybody seems to dump big bucks into Aimpoint mounts. What is wrong with the stock 30mm ring?

Thanks
Chris

If you enjoyed reading about "So What Is Wrong With The Standard Aimpont 30mm Ring?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Titus
April 18, 2007, 02:03 AM
I think a lot of folks are concerned about that big screw coming loose, but I haven't had a problem with them.

Nightcrawler
April 18, 2007, 02:11 AM
Mine wobbled loose once, but it tightened back up and gave me no more problem through hundreds of rounds (on my FAL, which tends to be hard on scopes).

Personally, I love it. I got it for free with my Aimpoint, so it's hard to beat that!

sharkhunter2018
April 18, 2007, 02:36 AM
Mine came loose a few times. I put a bit of Loctite on it, and havent had a problem since. I may have to Loctite the ring screws, but that all depends on what it does. Im happy with it though.

Bartholomew Roberts
April 18, 2007, 12:34 PM
Well, I can't speak for others; but I am always swapping optics or playing with irons, so I like mounts that return to zero reliably and go on and off easy. Basically Larue or ARMS.

rbernie
April 18, 2007, 02:01 PM
I have two of 'em that are collecting dust in a drawer, if anyone wants one really cheap....

Omnivore
April 18, 2007, 02:19 PM
There was the vertically split version that used two Allen screws on top and one on the bottom-- those weren't too great. The current ones with the "thumb screw" are just fine. The problem people are having is that the "thumb screw" fools you into thinking its actually a thumb screw, which it isn't. Use something (a quarter dollar is too small in my opinion) as a lever to get it good and tight and you won't need Loctite or anything else. I have a house key with a nice flat side on the handle portion, which gives a good 2-inch lever and that works great. I've used these rings in thousands of rounds of in-house product testing at UltiMAK, and I trust them completely. There's nothing in their design that's significantly different from most other rail squeezers.

If you enjoyed reading about "So What Is Wrong With The Standard Aimpont 30mm Ring?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!