Possum Hollow Kwick Case Trimmer A+

PDA

Idano
April 19, 2007, 01:27 AM
Hello everyone, I just tried out my new Possum Hollow Kwick Case Trimmer this evening and all I can say is WOW! This $20 trimmer that trims off of the datum of the case's shoulder just like the Giraud or Gracey except you supply the motor. I chucked it into my drill press and I was off trimming cases as fast as I could grab them out of the bin. I checked every .223 case I trimmed and everyone measured 1.740 perfect for my X-Die. If the blade holds up on these trimmers I can't justify buying any other trimmer. Heck at $20 I can buy 18 Possum Hollow Kwick Case Trimmers for the price of one Gracey.

I have to thank 30Cal for the mentioning them in one of his posts, what a find!

If you enjoyed reading about "Possum Hollow Kwick Case Trimmer A+" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P0832177
April 19, 2007, 09:42 AM
Kwick Trim is a good way to trim, but I assure that nothing compares to a Giraud Trimmer! :p

crux
April 19, 2007, 09:48 PM
I've got both, Possum Hollow is no Giraud. I love my Giraud:)

Idano
April 19, 2007, 09:59 PM
Gentlemen you going to have to do a lot better job of convincing me of that since they all work on the exact same principles; They all trim off of the datum of the case's shoulder. The only difference I see is that you paid $325 dollars for a motor and I am chucking my $20 cutter into a $300 dollar drill press. So please enlighten me as to why either the Giraud or Gracey is better then the Possum Hollow Kwick Case Trimmer.

Zippy06
April 19, 2007, 10:09 PM
I thought case stretched in the middle.
Is this used with Full length sizing?
Or neck sizing?

Chris Rhines
April 19, 2007, 11:31 PM
It doesn't look like the Possum Hollow trimmer deburs the case mouth.

- Chris

Idano
April 20, 2007, 12:37 AM
Chris Rhines,

You are absolutely correct and may be why P0832177 and crux say it doesn't take the place of the Giraud or the Gracey since I see that both of them deburr at the same time. Okay so it may not be better but it certainly is more cost effective especially if you use X-dies and only have to trim your brass once over its entire life. Since I only shoot about a 1,500 rounds a year per rifle between my .223 and my 22-250 there is no way I can justify spending $400 for a case trimmer. That is unless I find a problem with the Possum Hollow Kwick Case Trimmer, which I hope I don't since I just ordered one tonight for my 30-06!

P0832177
April 20, 2007, 02:19 AM
Idano
You are just a babe in the woods! :eek: I do not have to convince you of diddly squat! Step up to the real world, loading 223 or 308 is just a lot easier with trimmed, deburred, and chamfer cases in one pass. This is especailly true of prepping brass for use on a progressive press. Do as you see fit, but once you have tried one out you will know.

Idano
April 20, 2007, 03:14 AM
I originally posted a reply to P0832177 last post but deleted because I decided it didn't warrant a reply.

mc223
April 20, 2007, 04:05 AM
I use a Possum Hollow also. So what if it doesnt chamfer. It is cheap, fast and accurate and doesnt give me an attitude. Load on!:neener:

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
April 20, 2007, 08:45 AM
"Idano
You are just a babe in the woods! I do not have to convince you of diddly squat! Step up to the real world, loading 223 or 308 is just a lot easier with trimmed, deburred, and chamfer cases in one pass. This is especailly true of prepping brass for use on a progressive press. Do as you see fit, but once you have tried one out you will know."

John,

If you're going to tout a product, you should be willing to explain solid, logical reasons WHY it's good. If not, you're actually doing the product harm and you're not helping those that might be interested in buying the product.

Attacking someone who asks you a question or challenges you certainly isn't showing why the product is better. I think you can do better. If not, then the other fella is right, the product isn't better as far as anyone can tell.

Dave

Walkalong
April 20, 2007, 10:56 AM
I am going to get one of these Possum Hollow trimmers. It looks like the cats meow for doing .223 for range shooting. Yea, the Giraud is a Porsche, but I can't afford a Porsche either. :)

If I was shooting a ton of brass in competition it may warrant the cost and convienence of the Giraud. :)

Idano
You are just a babe in the woods
Hello PO832177. I did not appreciate your verball assault on me in your PM. You need to learn to make your points without insulting and putting folks down. Have a nice day. AC :)

30Cal
April 20, 2007, 01:20 PM
The same holder that you drop the cutter into will allow you to spin a chamfer/debur tool.

You have to pay big $$$ to do all three (trim, chamfer & deburr) at once.

Ty

Idano
April 20, 2007, 01:39 PM
30Cal,

I really got to hand it to you that was a great find, if it hadn't been for your post I wouldn't have known about the trimmer. I have been using an old RCBS with 18V drill attached and the biggest pain with it was changing the trim length between calibers and the time it took to lock a shell in the collet. I hope the cutter holds up since that is the only thing I can imagine going wrong with them otherwise it appears to be the tool for me. If I was trimming thousands of rounds a month I probably would invest in a Giraud or Gracey because they do it all in one step which I hadn't realized until Chris Rhines pointed it out in his post, but where I doubt I trim over 1,000 casings a year because I use X-Dies I just can't justify that expense. Again a big thanks for the link 30Cal!

SSN Vet
April 20, 2007, 01:56 PM
:neener: :neener: :neener:

My XYZ is better than your XYZ, therefore I have demonstrated to the world that I am smarter, wiser, more cultured and sage than thou.

Don't you wish you were as cool as me?

:neener: :neener: :neener:

I really never did understand this type of thinking.

But, being a bonified tightwad myself, I always appreciate a good "cost effective tool tip".

SSN Vet
April 20, 2007, 01:59 PM
Hey,

when did this quick reply thing come along?

very nice.

now my BB is smarter, wiser, more cultured and sage than it use to be.

isn't that somethin'

GaryL
April 20, 2007, 08:14 PM
Can someone do me a favor and post a link to said tool? Sounds like a handy device.

You could accuse me of being too lazy to search (yes - I know how easy it is to search for something on Midway or Grafs or one of the other sites), but I prefer to see exactly the right thing without having to poke around making sure when someone else already knows.

RustyFN
April 20, 2007, 08:47 PM
Idano thanks for sharring this. I'll have to look into this. Thanks from another babe in the woods who doesn't believe in paying 20 times more than you have to.
Rusty

Chris Rhines
April 20, 2007, 09:13 PM
I use a Possum Hollow also. So what if it doesnt chamfer. I generally trim 1-2000 .223 cases per batch. If I have to chamfer seperately, that's two extra steps and more than three times as long.

- Chris

Walkalong
April 20, 2007, 09:42 PM
Can someone do me a favor and post a link to said tool (Can someone do me a favor and post a link to said tool?)?

I'll try it again:

http://www.possumhollowproducts.com/kwick-case-trimmers.html

mc223
April 20, 2007, 10:14 PM
I generally trim 1-2000 .223 cases per batch. If I have to chamfer seperately, that's two extra steps and more than three times as long.

Smaller batches will reduce the fatigue. Or buy an X-Die and trim, chamfer once. Time spent with ones brass is time well spent. Opportunity for good inspection prior to loading will save some headaches at the range or in the field.
Fast is good at Indy. Effecient is just plain smart.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
April 20, 2007, 11:10 PM
I think mc223 pretty much said it all on this one.

Dave

GaryL
April 20, 2007, 11:39 PM
Thanks Walkalong. Probably need to get one of those soon.

possum
April 20, 2007, 11:52 PM
i saw my screen name and i thought what are they talking about me for!:D
but i see now!

Walkalong
April 21, 2007, 08:22 AM
Shhh everybody. possums here.....:D

RustyFN
April 21, 2007, 09:58 AM
possum
i saw my screen name and i thought what are they talking about me for!
but i see now!
The impression I got was that you were going to trim all of our brass. Did I miss something here.:D
Rusty

Idaho Sharpshooter
May 1, 2007, 05:04 PM
I just checked, why don't they offer one for my 550 Gibbs?

Rich

texas2wheeler
December 25, 2011, 08:16 AM
Hi I'm looking to purchase 2 of these. Initially looking at one for .223 and another for , .308 & .243.

I especially hope some of you that have been using this for over 5 years that posted to this thread back in 2007 reply.

I have mainly 2 questions:

1. Since this thread is almost 5 years old, Curious how these trimmers have held up.

2. Also looking to trim .257 Weatherby mag and 300 Winchester mag - on the Possumhollow website product listing I don't see the .257 listed at all. For the 300 win mag I see the KT-5 says "7 and 300 magnum", but is that 300 the original 300 Winchester? What about the Weatherby 300 mag or the 300 WSM, 300 Norma or other ?

Thanks in advance for your replies and Merry Christmas!

-Texas2Wheeler

Walkalong
December 25, 2011, 09:42 AM
I have not had mine for quite 5 years yet, and have only trimmed a couple of K of cases, but it is still going strong. I also trim .222 Mag with my .223 trimmer. I just adjust the insert. Same with the one for .308, it will do .30-06. Cannot speak for .300 Win Mag etc. It would probably work though.

If I was doing thousands upon thousands of cases, the Giraud would be the way to go, but for what I do, the Possum Hollow works just fine. An F Class shooter here at the club borrowed mine for .308, and promptly ordered his own.

kelbro
December 25, 2011, 11:06 AM
Mine (223) has several thousand cases to its credit but it seems like they started making them out of unobtanium.

highlander 5
December 25, 2011, 11:35 AM
I've a Possum Hollow trimmer as well. Done 2 or 3 K cases with it and granted it doesn't deburr so trim a couple of hundred and then deburr. It does have some plastic inards that probanly wear as time goes on,but at $20 a piece who cares. The Giraud and Gracey machine are very nice multi function machines but not all of us can afford $400+ dollars for such a machine. I bought the trimmer and 2 adaptors from Possum Hollow and I think the grand total with postage was $50.

jcwit
December 25, 2011, 04:54 PM
Courious here, whats the advantage/disadvantage of Possum Hollows trimmers over Lee case trimers? I have neither as I use a Lyman trimmer. But I am wondering.

CMV
December 25, 2011, 07:27 PM
I have both the Lee & the Possum Hollow for .223 & they both seem like good tools that do what they're supposed to. Both are pretty much foolproof & will only cut as deep as they're set.

The PH is much faster. For that one, you chuck it in your drill and the cutter head spins. The Lee trimmer is backwards (from a speed standpoint). For it, you put the chuck in the drill and then chuck/remove each piece of brass. You spend as much time changing pieces of brass as you do cutting.

But then to chamfer & deburr, it's faster with the case chucked in the drill. Using either the Lee or the RCBS tool, you just kiss each end to the spinning mouth & it's done. With the PH, you need spinning chamfer/deburr tools as well since the case isn't spinning.

Of course if you're only doing a few at a time it's no big deal. Large batches & my hands really start to hurt doing the chamfer/deburr ops by hand.

They each use a different datum. The Lee uses the base of the holder so it's going to give you a the same OAL from base to mouth every time. The PH uses the shoulder as a datum and will give you the same neck length every time. Which is better/preferable, I have no idea.

What I've noticed as far as overall finished length is that the Lee seems to hold +.002/-.0005 and the PH seems to be +/-.0025 so there is more variation in overall length from the PH. If that has any significance I don't know either.

As far as cutting, the PH cuts much cleaner and isn't as sensitive to tool pressure. The Lee will slightly open up the mouth if too much pressure is applied. They both clean up the same after chamfer/deburr, but there's less chatter & a cleaner cut with the PH. This could be my technique & not the tool's fault. The PH is heavier so it spins a little slower so I might need to slow down the lighter Lee cutter to get a cleaner cut. It's not bad and neither needs noticeably more/less effort to clean up.

They both need the chips cleaned out frequently - about every 10 cases or so depending on how much cutting there is. That's to be expected. To look at them you'd think the Lee would need cleaned out less because the PH has everything captured, but in use the PH does a good job of throwing its chips out of the hole. The Lee's chips build up and get caught. Just a couple quick taps on a hard surface cleans out either one.

Lastly, I did a very Bubba setup to use the PH cutter and still have a quick chamfer & deburr. The RCBS tool can be chucked by the deburr end (barely) so I have a spinning chamfer tool. The Lee chamfer/deburr tool can't be chucked (in any drill I have) so I used an old #2 size screwdriver bit ground and pressure fit through the slot on the nose. I put a little epoxy there to keep it in place. So I can mount 3 drills in a row, have them all spinning, and hold a case and go from cut, to chamfer, to deburr very fast. It's a little quicker than chucking in piece into/out of the Lee case holder.

http://cmv.zftp.com/CL1.JPG

http://cmv.zftp.com/CL2.JPG

http://cmv.zftp.com/CL3.JPG

http://cmv.zftp.com/CL4.JPG

http://cmv.zftp.com/CL5.JPG

Yes this is VERY BUBBA - it works :D

http://cmv.zftp.com/CL7.JPG

jcwit
December 25, 2011, 07:58 PM
Thanks a bunch CMV.

twohightech
December 26, 2011, 01:10 AM
Yes I just got one and love it and have a set up like CVM but i laid my motor set up where they are all in a line. Works great very happy with it. Now 2000 case's are waiting for there turn

CMV
December 26, 2011, 02:24 AM
Yeah I''d like them all pointed down at a 45 angle like the 1/2" corded drill but the two cordless won't do it unless I fab something up to hold them that will still let me clamp the triggers. Laying them on their sides puts the tool heads closer to each other but I worry about blocking airflow. It's probably not good to leave the triggers clamped for long periods as it is - even at 1/2 speed & with barely any load.

That downward angle helps the tools clear their chips & shavings a lot better. The 2 cordless are at about the worst angle for clearing their debris on their own.

I should just break down & buy a case prep station but I've already spent a lot more on this stuff than I thought I would.

Oh- I did forget a negative about the PH tool. It uses some microscopic allen head set screws. Of course it was the one missing from my set & it's so small I didn't have any other bit sets or anything else with one that tiny. I had to cheat it with a #8 torx. Anyway, they should have included one since it's such a small one. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of guys get the tool & then have to run out to get a tiny allen wrench to set it up.

jfremder
December 26, 2011, 09:47 AM
http://cmv.zftp.com/CL7.JPGYour setup matches mine exactly :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Possum Hollow Kwick Case Trimmer A+" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!