NBC Airs Murderer's Message - Why?

PDA

Colt
April 19, 2007, 07:57 AM
Why air the message of this murderer? What's the point?

- The victims don't give a damn about what this nut has to say, and airing the footage is slap in the face.
- It gives the murderer what he had hoped to "earn" by killing all the victims - to have his screwed-up message heard.
- Other potential copy-cat murderers will learn how they, too, can "be heard."

Aside from greed, I can't think of why any network would air this tripe.

What am I missing?

If you enjoyed reading about "NBC Airs Murderer's Message - Why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Twitch
April 19, 2007, 08:01 AM
Probably because it means high ratings for NBC. The more shocking a news story, the better. It doesn't matter if more people are hurt in the process.

ingram
April 19, 2007, 08:16 AM
Well, they withheld the Columbine Basement tapes, Eric + Dylan's version of getting their message to the world, and still are to this day despite many calls even from victim's families for their release.... so I don't think you can say that whether or not these tapes come out determines whether or not someone like Cho will go on a rampage. If anything, it just told Cho that he should send his materials to the press instead of leaving them in his room. These killers with get the notoriety they want regardless... not releasing a few materials isn't going to curb copycat incidents. Now if you can get everybody in the whole world to turn their heads, and no media organizations to report on killings, then you will have an effective way of eliminating the glory factor that drives these killers. That obviously is something not feasible.

Understanding can only be achieved when the truth comes out, and that means everyone's side of the story, including Cho's. I'm not a victim, and neither are you, so it is pretty pretentious to assume that the people most effected by this don't want to hear what drove Cho to do this.

And yes, it is the job of news agencies to report the news. I don't think it was in bad taste for them to only show portions of what they recieved, but once gut reactions and high emotions from the massacre have cooled off a bit, it is my hope that the whole thing will be released. It is important for public closure and understanding.

There is still much confusion as to Eric and Dylan's motives in Columbine, with myths such as bullying being the biggest factor still being a widely held belief. Deep research into what has been released about Eric and Dylan shows that a large motive was a disgust for the erosion of human's survival instincts, ironically, something that has been balked about here concerning the victims of VT. There was also anger derived from feeling excluded, not bullied, but left out of "so many fun things," as Eric put it. Things like music, television, whatever, become scapegoats when what we really need to do is listen to what they have to say for themselves. Only from this can we interpret what really caused them to lash out. All the evidence needs to be presented, otherwise we can't draw any substantial conclusions as to what went wrong, and what really can be done to prevent similar occurances.

Now I don't necessarily agree with the manner they are releasing this, it would make sense to wait a while before presenting this information, because when people's emotions are running high they do not think rationally.

Colt
April 19, 2007, 08:24 AM
so it is pretty pretentious to assume that the people most effected by this don't want to hear what drove Cho to do this

I've already heard two interviews (one fellow student, and one family member) of those who knew the victims who are livid that NBC has seen fit to give this scum a national stage. The interviews were on the local Philly a.m. talk shows. (1060 and 1210)

El Tejon
April 19, 2007, 08:28 AM
NBC wishes to inspire copycats.

The media knows that they are encouraging copycats and needs to aid other murderers to obtain the gun control that they want.

ACP
April 19, 2007, 08:34 AM
Because it's newsworthy.

And El Tejon, I hope you don't seriously believe that. That's truly tinfoil hat territory.

ingram
April 19, 2007, 08:40 AM
Those who are most closely effected by this tragedy are not the ones who should be making the decisions as to what is proper right now. The very fact that they are so close to this, blinded by emotions, compromises their judgement when it comes to making a rational argument. There is no evidence to suggest that not airing his tapes will prevent similar incidents, and looking at it with some perspective, is quite ludicrous considering the attention they recieve regardless.

What they may feel is good for themselves is not equitable to what is good for the nation or grounded in common sense.

Also, you hear two interviews and that suddenly becomes the opinion for all the victims? Still pretentious.

El Tejon
April 19, 2007, 08:49 AM
ACP, do you remember Patrick Purdy? Do you remember the TIME magazine article and how they detailed the shooting in hope of encouraging copycats.

Do you remember the Louisville shooting where the murderer was found with the TIME magazine article describing Purdy's attack?

Did you see Cho's video? Did you hear the references to Columbine?

No tinfoil, just fact.

Colt
April 19, 2007, 09:03 AM
Also, you hear two interviews and that suddenly becomes the opinion for all the victims? Still pretentious.

I hear 2 live interviews less than 12 hours after the tapes are released, and I'm "pretentious" to believe those related to the victims are not happy that the materials were aired? :rolleyes:

But you're right, who cares about the victims? Why should we show them any consideration? They're too emotionally involved to know what's right, so NBC executives should make the decisions.

What's most important now is that Mr. Nutso gets his message aired all across the nation. That's why he commited this crime, so let's go ahead and give him what he wanted.

30 cal slob
April 19, 2007, 09:05 AM
NBC and the rest of the lot are ratings whores.

I'm a strong believer in the First Amendment but I'm not sure what use airing all this crap was.

Cho got what he wanted - notoriety.

He should be allowed to fade into obscurity.

ingram
April 19, 2007, 09:18 AM
What's most important now is that Mr. Nutso gets his message aired all across the nation. That's why he commited this crime, so let's go ahead and give him what he wanted.

Well I'm done trying to argue my point. If you presume the power to know what drove someone you have never met to kill 32 people, then you are quite impermeable to rational argument.

Let the media bashing and conspiracy theories continue, as I am bowing out.

Colt
April 19, 2007, 09:19 AM
I'm a strong believer in the First Amendment but I'm not sure what use airing all this crap was.

Exactly, .30 cal. What was the point?

To me, airing this somewhat parallels shouting "fire" in a theater. The public risk here is copycats. NBC doesn't have a "right" or "obligation" to do that.

Colt
April 19, 2007, 09:32 AM
If you presume the power to know what drove someone you have never met to kill 32 people, then you are quite impermeable to rational argument.

He killed 32 people to get attention and be heard. This isn't some wild pet theory of mine. You don't need to "presume" any power to know this.

If he thought he could be heard without killing anyone, why not just send his package to NBC and call it a day? By airing his whacko materials, NBC is validating his voilent tactics to would-be copycats.

I submit that when you kill 32 innocent people, you forfeit your first amendment rights.

BigG
April 19, 2007, 10:11 AM
If it bleeds, it leads - old news media maxim.

See the movie "15 Minutes" if you want to see the prototype for this sort of c.r.a.p.

Whoever said they were ratings wh--es, was not wrong.

JohnRov
April 19, 2007, 10:18 AM
ACP, do you remember Patrick Purdy? Do you remember the TIME magazine article and how they detailed the shooting in hope of encouraging copycats.

Do you remember the Louisville shooting where the murderer was found with the TIME magazine article describing Purdy's attack?

Did you see Cho's video? Did you hear the references to Columbine?

No tinfoil, just fact.

To me, this is like blaming guns for gun crimes. It's always the INDIVIDUAL'S responsibility for their actions. It's not the media's, it's not video games, etc. This is newsworthy.

xd9fan
April 19, 2007, 10:30 AM
whatever dramatic crap the media says about the sadness of this crime.....they love it. They glorify it.....and they know it. Good job guys......the young are watching too....good job.

hnk45acp
April 19, 2007, 12:03 PM
And if the agrieved kids announced on a radio show they wished that the government would take away all the guns would you then be so quick to adhere to their wishes?

ingram is right. This is news. sensationalistic? yes. but news nonetheless

Deanimator
April 19, 2007, 12:06 PM
Pure unalloyed greed.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the networks hired actors to put on Cho's "plays" and broadcast them.

They're giving him EVERYTHING he wanted, namely unlimited attention.

That'll sure deter others from doing the same thing... :rolleyes:

Tokugawa
April 19, 2007, 12:14 PM
They should have tossed the creeps manifesto on the fire., refused to identify him by name, and bury him in unknown grave. Erase him.

critter
April 19, 2007, 12:20 PM
On ABC's Good Morning America this am, Robyn Roberts interviewed a psychologist, psychiatrist or some such (whose name I do not remember). He said as much. DO NOT show the video because it offers the POS the aggrandizement and attention he wanted. This is the exact same type of stuff that the suide bombers in the mid east are doing and for the same reason. He also said the video was not 'him' as in real life he was a loner, a loser and a nobody. Do not let your kids see it. Do not remember his name. Let him rot forever in oblivion! I liked what he said. The video also is fodder for the copycats. Leave it alone!

Ms. Roberts also commented on the fact that we should quit blaming anybody and everybody EXCEPT the POS shooter! I agree with that too!

Kentak
April 19, 2007, 12:24 PM
Sorry. I would be mad as hell if they didn't show it. Everybody wants to know what was going on in this guy's head. This helps. It is certainly more "hard" news than a lot of the crappy commentary and speculation that was bandied about before.

K

Colt
April 19, 2007, 12:25 PM
And if the agrieved kids announced on a radio show they wished that the government would take away all the guns would you then be so quick to adhere to their wishes?

Nice argument. Yes, of course, I would agree that everyone should be disarmed at the victim's request. Nice comparison.:rolleyes:

What you're defending here, just so you know, is a murderer's "right" to have his propoganda aired on national TV, after murdering 32 people. I think the victim's families should have been shown better consideration.

Will you still support airing murderer's manifestos if is there is a copycat incident next week?

tulsamal
April 19, 2007, 12:26 PM
The media HAD been doing better about stuff like this. Spree killers after Columbine have gotten less personal press. I don't know the name and/or face of the guy who killed the kids in the Amish school, for instance. Or that guy in Atlanta who killed people in their offices. It felt like the media had finally realized that these types of killings were driven, at least in part, by a desperate desire to "be somebody" and gain some attention.

This story is just so big that it seems to have made them forget this. I especially didn't like all the photos of him posing with the guns. How many borderline teens are going to be copying those for their desktop pictures?

Gregg

Kentak
April 19, 2007, 12:26 PM
They should have tossed the creeps manifesto on the fire., refused to identify him by name, and bury him in unknown grave. Erase him.

Sure, we'll learn a lot that way. You're letting emotion get in the way of logic.

K

WayneConrad
April 19, 2007, 12:31 PM
It's tasteless vulturism. Gotta make a buck before the body's cold.

Tragic? Yes. Thought provoking? It ought to be. But an event deserving of non-stop "coverage" day after day? No.

Way to go, media. Let's make sure that people with "a message" know how to get the best press that murder can buy.

Kentak
April 19, 2007, 12:32 PM
What you're defending here, just so you know, is a murderer's "right" to have his propoganda aired on national TV, after murdering 32 people. I think the victim's families should have been shown better consideration.

Propaganda? As if his rantings are going to gather any sympathy for him? It exposes his sick and twisted mind. Behavioral, criminal, and psychological experts will dissect this guy's words, writings, and prior life with a microscope. Chances are that will add to a knowledge base that may help identify potential killers and help prevent other tragedies. Notice, I said "may" and "help."

K

hnk45acp
April 19, 2007, 12:32 PM
Will you still support airing murderer's manifestos if is there is a copycat incident next week?
Yes of course because as we all know,
video tapes kill people,
Playstation games kill people,
Marilyn Manson kills people
just like guns kill people.

ATW525
April 19, 2007, 12:38 PM
I, for one, am glad they released the videos. With all the talk from students and faculty about how much fear this guy caused, it's good to see for ourselves what this man was actually about. The first thing that came to mind when I saw him reading his little rants was, "Wow... what a pathetic little man." There's nothing scary about this guy at all... he's just a loser who saw an opportunity to take advantage of a policy that left people helpless. It's my opinion that these videos and pictures made that abundantly clear. They let the world see that isn't the work of some anti-christ, but rather an emotionally disturbed little boy.

45Frank
April 19, 2007, 12:42 PM
El Tejon
I agree with you, NBC would have an orgazime to be at the center of enother shooting.:uhoh: Do you not beleive that all the Brady groups don't love dead kids they are salivating over this.

Why not lets all contact the networts and have them do a 15 minute piece on each of all the poor dead students, I'm tired of seeing this fricken kids face on TV. Why! Why! Why?:cuss:

rev214
April 19, 2007, 12:47 PM
from Drudge:

RATINGS BLOWOUT FOR NBC NEWS...
7.4 RATING/15 SHARE FOR BRIAN WILLIAMS AND CHO TAPES, NIELSEN OVERNIGHTS SHOW...
6.2/12 FOR ABC 'WORLD NEWS'...
CBS COURIC AT 4.2/8...

:mad: :fire:

Shovelhead
April 19, 2007, 12:52 PM
Just posted on our local news website.

Effective immediately, WJLA-TV and NewsChannel 8 will discontinue broadcasting images and videotapes provided to the media by Virginia Tech mass murderer Cho Seung-Hui. The images are very disturbing to many of our viewers and we see no positive value in continuing to broadcast them. We believe this decision serves the best interests of our community. We will continue to broadcast the yearbook style photos of Cho Seung-Hui that aired prior to the images he sent to the media.

Bill Lord
Vice President, News
WJLA-TV / NewsChannel 8

http://www.wjla.com/

it's about time..............

Deanimator
April 19, 2007, 01:33 PM
Propaganda? As if his rantings are going to gather any sympathy for him?
They already have. There's one teenaged girl with a Facebook or Myspace account devoted to sympathy for Cho. She was quoted as saying that she didn't think people should "vilify" Cho...

rev214
April 19, 2007, 01:42 PM
They already have. There's one teenaged girl with a Facebook or Myspace account devoted to sympathy for Cho. She was quoted as saying that she didn't think people should "vilify" Cho...

That sounds to me more like the touch-feely college/university indoctrination system in this country...
where there's no right or wrong/good or evil anymore...

you know its coming:
"Cho had feelings like the rest of us...he was hurting...he was crying out...society failed HIM..."
:banghead:

ATW525
April 19, 2007, 01:45 PM

I can't believe it, but it seems you're right. There are actually people out there blogging about how they feel sorry him and how it's not entirely his fault because of his mental health issues.

However, I guess if some people could actually like Sanjaya Malakar, it's not so much of a stretch to imagine there's people out there who like, or at least feel sympathy for, Cho Seung-Hui.

atomd
April 19, 2007, 02:58 PM
The news also airs audio and video tapes put out by Bin Laden and other terrorists including segments of video from executions. They also showed hours and hours of 9/11 footage and audio recordings from 9/11. They published parts of the Unibomber's manifesto. All horrible stuff. I have mixed feelings about it. I think it's wrong that a murderer gets his message across and pretty much gets the last word. The victims don't have that opportunity.

On the other hand, it also lets people see just how crazy these people really are. When I saw that footage I saw someone who was just gone....mentally ill. It sent chills down my spine. I'd like to know how people can look at the tape of that kid and say that movies, video games, or guns had anything to do with the condition he was in. The tape somewhat explains things. I think it also shows exactly where the blame lies...with him and him alone. It's hard for me to say which outcome is better. I can't put myself in the shoes of a victim's family. If it means better ratings, I'm sure we will end up seeing it on the air. This whole thing just sickens me.

obxned
April 19, 2007, 03:32 PM
Poor taste and high ratings seem to go hand-in-hand.

Turkey Creek
April 19, 2007, 03:34 PM
Ratings = dollars, and that's all they're intrested in

Soybomb
April 19, 2007, 03:42 PM
Because its news.

I'm certainly interested in looking at it. Maybe it would give some insight into what drives a person to turn this far from sanity and feel like they have no option but to do such terrible things. What better way to understand someones motivation than through their own words? Would you destory the works of hitler and the unabomber too?

Kentak
April 19, 2007, 03:57 PM
Poor taste and high ratings seem to go hand-in-hand.

So, a mass murderer kills 32 and hearing his own words as to the reasons isn't newsworthy?

But, let a favored team lose the Superbowl and we'll hear it analyzed to death, right?

K

Art Eatman
April 19, 2007, 04:11 PM
As to why, NBC wants the ratings and the advertising sales.

As for the utility of the tapes, their usefulness for understanding the how and the why, it would be far better to wait until all the stories are collected and assessed. The tapes are part of a much larger whole. There's no societal reason for airing them now; it's only for the advertising revenues they produce.

Art

ACP
April 19, 2007, 04:16 PM
By most of your definitions, then, television and newspapers should not report ANY crime because it might encourage more rapes, robberies, murders, arsons, bomb threats, white powder in the mail, etc.

Get rid of "CSI" -- they just show you how to get away with it.

Get rid of "Law & Order" -- it just gives crimials ideas on how to defend themselves in court.

Get rid of TV news video of bomb blasts near Humvees, patrols under fire, and still photos from Walter Reed-- it just reminds the American public that we're at war, and that the day's death toll from VT is less than 1 percent of the American soldiers killed in Iraq since the start of the war.

Get rid of "The High Road" -- criminals just use it as a proving ground for the best bullets and calibers, the most reliable weapons, and to cull information for how to spot someone who is carrying and what their method of defense might be.

Make sense? Of course not.

The news value of the video -- NOT THE RATINGS, WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT COME -- was reason enough to air SOME of it. This is the worst mass killing in American history. It involved someone who even his roommates knew very little about. His parents have been incommunicado. The guy was even a "foreigner" (i.e. not white, black, or Hispanic, like most U.S. citizens, hence, even more of a riddle). Any shred of information is of interest to the American public --INCLUDING THE NUMEROUS THREADS AND POSTS HERE ON THE HIGH ROAD.

People like to put faces and philosophies to killers so they can know that they are not like them.

Whether or not there is a "copycat" will have very little to do with whether or not NBC ran part of a video. The kid's face, his anger, and the horror of his deeds had spread around the world well before any video was aired. That, if anything, will spur a copycat. The piece of NBC video is irrelevant at this point (and BTW, the NBC affiliate noted in a previous post is a Virginia station. Of course they won't air it. Out of respect to their viewers? Fear of loss of ad revenue? Be as cynical as you like...)

And if anyone here still believes that "the media" or the Brady organziation wishes for and actively plans for people to be murdered with handguns in order to make their "anti-gun" case, you truly, truly truly need serious psychological counseling. It is paranoid, psychotic thinking like that that gives firearms owners a horrible reputation, and I won't be a part of it or stand for it.

Kentak
April 19, 2007, 04:27 PM
"We shouldn't give people access to this kind of information because a few people will misuse it to create sympathy for the perp or do a copycat."

"We shouldn't give people access to firearms because a few people will misuse them to commit crimes and kill people."

If you don't see the fallacy in both statements, well, it's The High Road, so I won't say it.

K

geronimotwo
April 19, 2007, 04:32 PM
back to the original question.... why would they air it? because i want to see it.

Jacka L Ope
April 19, 2007, 04:34 PM
I'm in favor of the media showing these videos if for no other reason than the public can see that a deranged human being, who was known about for ~ 2 years, did these heinous crimes and not an inanimate object.

my .02 centavos...

Cosmoline
As a Korean, the more attention that gets brought on this guy's actions and the more his video gets played, the more shame adheres to his family. So it does serve some purpose.

Derek Zeanah
I'm glad they did. It silenced the "he was a Jihadi!!!!!!" discussions and got us back on point by explaining what he was: a nutjob.

Odd Job
April 19, 2007, 04:52 PM
Indeed, it is necessary to know the man's motives and state of mind. I'm all for having them air it if it focusses attention on the man instead of the firearms. I'm not saying that is the media's intent, but that is the result.

dave_pro2a
April 19, 2007, 05:09 PM
Airing that crap, or publishing it in papers/magazines, is deplorable.

They are CREATING a situation/atmosphere where copycats will occur.

Spreading F.U.D. (fear, uncertintaty and doubt) and making $, that's all they care about.

I heard one NBC reporter refer to the "multi-media presentation" as the murderers "legacy" :: puke::

Kentak
April 19, 2007, 05:19 PM
As a Korean, the more attention that gets brought on this guy's actions and the more his video gets played, the more shame adheres to his family. So it does serve some purpose.

Yeah, make the family suffer even more than they are. That will show 'em.

Care to explain?

K

helpless
April 19, 2007, 05:20 PM
I think it's newsworthy when A guy goes on a killing spree, and make a press release.

I am glad they aired it. Or should we all just keep our head in the sand and pretend that people are not nuts.

I like to think that the videos reaffirm to everyone that there is nothing you can do to stop some people from doing things. Some people are just broken.

Yeha it's sick to watch, but I think it is good for people to understand how "crazy" works.

ACP
April 19, 2007, 05:39 PM
"I heard one NBC reporter refer to the "multi-media presentation" as the murderers "legacy" :: puke::"

The killer thought it was his legacy, not the reporter. And it's not a "legacy" in the good sense of the word, either (obviously).

And it was a "multi-media" presentation, whether you like it or not. Still photos, video, and printed statements are "multi media."

It's 2007, not 1957. We're not looking for a diary under lock and key hidden in a sock drawer to fathom some psycopath's motive. Nowadays, they take digital pictures, make homemade videos, post stuff on the Internet, send e-mails, join in chat rooms, and leave lots of electronic evidence. Who knows, 50 years from now they might be leaving laser-generated 3-D images that pop out of a device the size of your high school ring. No one said murderers couldn't be up to speed on technology. They're just dangerous sociopaths that need to be protected against and executed when caught.

Durruti
April 19, 2007, 06:25 PM
What I'm hearing is that companies have no business putting profits ahead of social responsibilities.

I'm amazed at how many anti-capitalists we have here. ;)

Durruti
(a socialist myself, of the anti-government sort)

Cosmoline
April 19, 2007, 06:35 PM
Yeah, make the family suffer even more than they are. That will show 'em. Care to explain?

I didn't say it was a *nice* purpose, but it is a purpose. The fellow should never have been allowed out into public, and to the extent his family helped him out of legal problems and kept him in the game they do bear some of the fault here.

Richmond
April 19, 2007, 06:43 PM
Of course, it would not be sensitive or politically correct to admit it, but media executives are no doubt gleeful at the ratings boost they received, first from the non-stop coverage of the event and then, just as that started to slow, the box of media materials from the killer. That they were playing a role in the twisted plan of someone who had just killed 2 innocents, and was dropping the box in the mail on his way to slaughter 30 more is an unfortunate truth – so they act appropriately sanctimonious, then get on with business and get the stuff on television. Cho certainly was successful in orchestrating the, so far, two day wall to wall media campaign devoted to him, the atrocity he committed and the twisted way he "thought".

The media solemnly tells us that they air this stuff to “inform” us and help us “understand”. They are really giving the killer what he wanted – worldwide attention and power. They are eagerly doing what is necessary to fill their pockets.

I would have more respect if they just told us the truth – they are running the stuff to feed off our perverse curiosity. Telling us otherwise is like running porn but claiming it is a biology lesson.

Soybomb
April 19, 2007, 09:17 PM
I would have more respect if they just told us the truth – they are running the stuff to feed off our perverse curiosity.
Isn't showing his original material the very meaning of showing us the truth behind the event? I don't want an interpretation of that material, I want to see it.

obxned
April 19, 2007, 11:43 PM
Sure makes you wonder why people aren't screaming for sensible laws limiting the 1st Amendment. After all, the Founding Fathers were actually thinking in terms of quill pens and hand presses.

davec
April 20, 2007, 12:07 AM
I think it's better we exist in the realm of rumor, innuendo, lies, and political agenda pontificating when it comes to this guys actions. It's much better as a society that we guess at it, or take some government officials word for it, rather then examine the evidence he left behind, and come to our own conclusions.

Because we as a society must be protected from ourselves, our own free thought, and our own intellectual abilities.

These things must be limited or restricted in the name of public safety, and sympathy for the victims.

toivo
April 20, 2007, 01:28 AM
Why air the message of this murderer? What's the point?

- The victims don't give a damn about what this nut has to say, and airing the footage is slap in the face.
- It gives the murderer what he had hoped to "earn" by killing all the victims - to have his screwed-up message heard.
- Other potential copy-cat murderers will learn how they, too, can "be heard."

Aside from greed, I can't think of why any network would air this tripe.

What am I missing?
Nothing, as far as I can see. You pretty much nailed it.

NBC got their "scoop." The killer got his wish: worldwide notoriety. The victims' families get to suffer even more from seeing the murderer of their loved ones glaring at them from TV screens and newsstands everywhere they go. Sick copycats get inspiration and some new ideas for their own exploits.

Way to go, NBC.

Soybomb
April 20, 2007, 05:26 AM
The victims' families get to suffer even more from seeing the murderer of their loved ones glaring at them from TV screens
Not to seem insensitive but why in the world are the grieving people watching the nightly news?

Autolycus
April 20, 2007, 05:49 AM
Exactly, .30 cal. What was the point?

To me, airing this somewhat parallels shouting "fire" in a theater. The public risk here is copycats. NBC doesn't have a "right" or "obligation" to do that.
Can you prove that it will cause copy cat shootings?

Autolycus
April 20, 2007, 05:51 AM
Do you know who is also a victim but I have not heard about. What about the parents of the shooter? I wonder how they feel? I feel sorry for them. I was thinking about this as the media just sensationalizes everything and everyone.

But in the end I have to send some thoughts to Cho's parents as well.

Colt
April 20, 2007, 08:07 AM
NEW YORK — With a backlash developing against the media for airing sickening pictures from Virginia Tech shooter Cho Seung-Hui, Fox News Channel said Thursday it would stop and other networks said they would severely limit their use.

Family members of victims canceled plans to appear on NBC's "Today" show Thursday because they "were very upset" with the network for showing the pictures, "Today" host Meredith Vieira said.

Ingram wrote:
...so it is pretty pretentious to assume that the people most effected by this don't want to hear what drove Cho to do this.

Am I still being pretentious? Just checking.

Someone who kills 32 people doesn't have "a right to be heard." NBC doesn't have "a right to profit" from it, capitalism or not. They received evidence in the mail, not a cash cow.

While I admit that airing the footage helped to demonstrate how this twisted individual's dementia killed the victims, and not a gun, the same result could have been reached by having authorities/experts evaluate the material offline and then filing a report. There was no reason to let this nutbag spew his hate first-person on national television.

JohnRov
April 20, 2007, 09:07 AM
Look, we all complain when the media gives half the truth about guns, I don't want them filtering this either. I am an adult, I can come to my own conclusions, as was stated above.

If you enjoyed reading about "NBC Airs Murderer's Message - Why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!