Federal law prohibiting regulation of air guns

PDA

LAR-15
April 19, 2007, 10:24 AM
I read there is a Federal law/statute that make it illegal for the BATFE to regulate air guns.

Is this true and can someone tell me where to find it?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Federal law prohibiting regulation of air guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fletcher
April 19, 2007, 11:01 AM
I don't think so - why do you ask?

SDC
April 19, 2007, 11:47 AM
I think it's more a matter of the definition of a firearm under US law; since air guns aren't DEFINED as "guns" under US law, they're out of the purview of ATFE. In Canada, OTOH, ANY "barrelled weapon" that can fire a projectile at greater than 500 fps is considered a "firearm".

LAR-15
April 19, 2007, 01:36 PM
Thanks

I read on a site (can't remember which) that the BATFE is prohibited by law from regulating air guns.

Risasi
April 19, 2007, 02:38 PM
SDC,

I wonder what they would do with a railgun? :scrutiny:

Duncan223
April 19, 2007, 04:03 PM
Risasi:

SDC,

I wonder what they would do with a railgun?

How about MetalStorm!!!

No shells, no gunpowder, no explosion, no firing pin... just a big-ole tube with electrical pulses causing a lot of chunks of stuff to come flying out at high velocity.

http://i15.tinypic.com/4g6mpmq.jpg

SDC
April 19, 2007, 04:40 PM
I'm sure they would write something new to catch the railgun if a portable version came to fruition, but the Metalstorm is already caught by virtue of the fact that it has barrels.

obxned
April 20, 2007, 12:03 AM
Regulations on air guns is an interesting question. Air guns were actually used in war in Europe until outlawed. Too quiet, not sporting. They have also killed elk size animals. I wonder what sort of super-bb gun you could build in your garage????

mp510
April 20, 2007, 12:51 AM
One is the law that prevents local or state governments from regulating the sale of airguns or paintball guns, except to prohibit sales to minors. I'll get the citation later.

BigO01
April 20, 2007, 01:00 AM
Interesting , now if somebody would just make an air version of a Galil with 308 ballistics .

LAR-15
April 20, 2007, 09:36 AM
Thanks

CleverNickname
April 20, 2007, 09:37 AM
the Metalstorm is already caught by virtue of the fact that it has barrels

What? No. Just because something has a metal tube doesn't mean the BATFE has anything to do with it.

brickeyee
April 20, 2007, 09:38 AM
"How about MetalStorm!!!

No shells, no gunpowder, no explosion, no firing pin,..."

Better check again, you only have 2 of 4 correct.
It uses gunpowder and "explosions" (actually deflagration) to propel the bullets.
It is a pre-loaded tube and does use electric ignition.

ccarnel
April 20, 2007, 09:47 AM
I'm acutally about to buy an "air force" condor pellet rifle. I think this is the ultimate SHTF tool. Uses a hand pump, fires .22 lead pellets at 1200fps, and when the JBT's come... it isn't a firearm

You can actually get a .50 caliber air rifle. It's a single shot but you can take a deer with it from what i've heard.

Risasi
April 20, 2007, 09:49 AM
In a sense air rifles are an even more ancient technology. I believe I read one time the swiss were making then even as far back as the 1400's.

brerrabbit
April 20, 2007, 09:50 AM
IIRC, a few military grade air rifles were made in the past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_rifle

Not toys, and yes I would like one chambered in .50 cal. Just a dream until I get my workshop up.

MudPuppy
April 20, 2007, 12:30 PM
when the JBT's come... it isn't a firearm

Until its redefined as one and banned with the others...like has happened in every other place that gun control insanity has won out.

But agree that it seems like a very useful SHTF option.

mike101
April 20, 2007, 03:25 PM
"One is the law that prevents local or state governments from regulating the sale of airguns or paintball guns,"

I'd be interested tio see that. In NJ, you need permits for airguns, too. :barf:

If you enjoyed reading about "Federal law prohibiting regulation of air guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!