Modified RCBS Hand Primer Good or Bad?

PDA

Timothy
January 7, 2003, 03:47 PM
For what it’s worth:

When I started reloading several years ago I used an RCBS hand primer and have used it ever since.
Being new then and overcautious, as I guess it is good to be, I was uneasy about seating primers too deep (actually about adding pressure after the primer had traveled as far as it could). I don’t know if it could happen or not, but I had this fear of one exploding.
What I did was seat a primer properly and then I measured the travel the handle had remaining before it stopped against the body of the hand primer. I converted this measurement into an equal number of ¼” flat washers. Then I placed the stack of flat washers on the safety blade between the handle and the body. Now I just squeeze the handle until it will go no further and “presto” they are all seated uniformly. Given the existence of un-uniform primer pockets it seems like it shouldn’t work 100% of the time but so far it has.

Good idea or not?

If you enjoyed reading about "Modified RCBS Hand Primer Good or Bad?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nero Steptoe
January 7, 2003, 04:12 PM
Not, for the reason that you provided.

Mal H
January 7, 2003, 06:46 PM
I don't think your engineering change is necessary. I've used the RCBS hand tool for a long time also and just squeeze the handle until the projection touches the tool body. I've not had a problem with any type of primer or cartridge, and no primer has ever gone off.

I am a graduate of the Lee Hand Loader, so I have had primers go off when "seating" them (read: banging on them with a hammer until they go in !! ). Folks, it ain't the end of the world. Sure it's loud, but with the proper precautions, you won't be hurt. I use the same precautions with a hand priming tool now as I did then, namely always wear safety glasses and always point the cartridge away from you when seating a primer.

If you enjoyed reading about "Modified RCBS Hand Primer Good or Bad?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!