Selling Out of State

PDA

vintage68
April 20, 2007, 09:36 AM
If I live in Colorado and travel to Nevada, would I legally be able to sell a gun in Nevada? Or would I need residency first?

Or if I'm a Colorado resident, travel to Nevada, would I be able to do a FFL transfer to another state?

If you enjoyed reading about "Selling Out of State" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
deadin
April 20, 2007, 10:39 AM
You didn't clarify long gun or hand gun.
For handguns you can sell to an FFL in another State, just not to a private party without going through a FFL. (Also, the private party in the other State would be breaking the law by buying from you directly.)

Second question. You would be able to buy from a Nevada FFL and he would have to send it to a Colorado FFL for you to pick it up. For a private party to private party transfer, the Nevada private party would need "dispose" of the gun through a Nevada FFL and then you would need to receive it from a Colorado FFL.

For long guns, it will depend on the individual State laws on sale/purchase out of State. They vary.....

vintage68
April 20, 2007, 10:54 AM
Sorry, yes, this would be to sell a handgun ( and a darn nice one at that!!).

Thanks.

deadin
April 20, 2007, 05:18 PM
Actually, I was a little wrong on the "buying from a private party out of state"
The Nevada resident could dispose of the gun directly to your Colorado FFL and then you would have to pick it up from him. The only problem you might run into is that some FFLs won't accept shipments from non-FFls. This is strictly at the discretion of the individual FFL.

Risasi
April 20, 2007, 05:49 PM
Yep, selling out of state to someone without an FFL, without shipping it to an FFL as a go between = bad!

Interstate commerce, and all that...

If you enjoyed reading about "Selling Out of State" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!