Deadliest school mass murder happened in 1927 not last week

PDA

joab
April 20, 2007, 12:12 PM
And no guns were used despite their easy accessablility

The Bath School disaster is the name given to three bombings in Bath Township, Michigan, USA, on May 18, 1927, which killed 45 people and injured 58. Most of the victims were children in second to sixth grades attending the Bath Consolidated School. Their deaths constitute the deadliest act of mass murder in a school in U.S. history. The perpetrator was school board member Andrew Kehoe, who was upset by a property tax that had been levied to fund the construction of the school building. He blamed the additional tax for financial hardships which led to foreclosure proceedings against his farm. These events apparently provoked Kehoe to plan his attack.

On the morning of May 18, Kehoe first killed his wife and then set his farm buildings on fire. As fire fighters arrived at the farm, an explosion devastated the north wing of the school building, killing many of the people inside. Kehoe used a detonator to ignite dynamite and hundreds of pounds of pyrotol which he had secretly planted inside the school over the course of many months. As rescuers started gathering at the school, Kehoe drove up, stopped, and detonated a bomb inside his shrapnel-filled vehicle, killing himself and the school superintendent, and killing and injuring several others. During the rescue efforts, searchers discovered an additional 500 pounds (230 kg) of unexploded dynamite and pyrotol planted throughout the basement of the (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster)

If you enjoyed reading about "Deadliest school mass murder happened in 1927 not last week" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
quatin
April 20, 2007, 12:14 PM
deadliest school shooting. I've noticed this too.

Guzzizzit
April 20, 2007, 12:14 PM
Yup, Coas-To-coast AM had a segment about that a few days ago.

MudPuppy
April 20, 2007, 12:20 PM
I'd think the 9/11 hijackings were the deadliest mass murder events?

travis87
April 20, 2007, 12:23 PM
The point is simply SCHOOL MASS MURDERS. Yes, 9/11 is the biggest mass murder event in US history, but it wasn't a school. Yes VT was the worst school shooting in US history, but not the worst school mass murder (mass murder by any means) in US history.

I just found this out in my history class this morning.

Jorg Nysgerrig
April 20, 2007, 12:26 PM
And? I don't get it. Many people on this and other boards have pointed to that bombing to show that more schoolkids have been killed before this act. Why do you people keep posting this? Do you want us to start a letter writing campaign to the media to make sure they mention it was the deadliest shooting instead of the massacre? Are you trying to convince that the media doesn't have all their facts straight all the time? Are you trying to say, "Look, you don't need guns to kill a lot of people?" Do you just want to show off your vast knowledge of history? I just don't see how the fact the guy chose to use bombs over guns makes any difference in today's discussions. Are you trying to say that if they outlaw guns everyone will switch to bombs? That school shootings have less victims then school bombings and we should be thankful for them? Why does this keep getting posted over and over?

On Monday, 32 people were killed by a crazy guy using guns on a college campus. This is what is going on right now. The 1927 bombing is only a footnote in reviewing the history of school violence. Constant repeating of it does nothing to address the current topics of mental health care, gun control, the right to defend oneself, or failures of the legal system.

Oh, and don't whip out the "doomed to repeat it" cliche. That's always the fallback of those who want to impress us with their knowledge of trivial historical events.

I just can't understand why so many people are so hot to point out this wasn't the worst case of school violence. Worst or not, it was pretty damn bad no matter how you look at it and definately the worst involving guns by a long shot.

travis87
April 20, 2007, 01:16 PM
It shows that you can't just blame guns. It shows that guns aren't any more evil than anything else and that its truly the person behind the attack that is responsible....

I am not trying to justify the shooting or sympathizing with the perpetrator, just stating facts.

longeyes
April 20, 2007, 01:40 PM
Ah, the good ol' days of labor unrest in the US of A...

Why does this sound eerily familiar?

SDC
April 20, 2007, 03:53 PM
AND, this happened when you could buy a machinegun through the mail, no licence or registration required.

joab
April 20, 2007, 09:19 PM
Sorry if you're offended Jorg
But if you can't see why this is of interest then I can't help you anymore than Travis and SDC have

Ten years from now the VT shooting will be a barely remembered footnote also, should all the lessons learned be set aside then.

Evil people do evil things with or without guns and they do it while mingling amongst us.

If everybody at Bath was armed that day they could not have stopped that incident. One armed person may have been able to lesson the tragedy at VT, as they did at Appalachia.

History teaches us things,living only for now teaches us nothing

Oh, and don't whip out the "doomed to repeat it" clicheComments like that usually indicate that the speaker has no real defense against the argument so he tries to demean them before they are made, either that or he is trying to goad you into that line of debate because he has an equally cliche defense against it, usually disguised as something witty

If you enjoyed reading about "Deadliest school mass murder happened in 1927 not last week" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!