best Mini-14 magazine

PDA

roscoe
April 20, 2007, 01:12 PM
Hey folks,

My dad just moved from California and he wants to get some 20 or 30-round magazines for his Mini. Here in Phoenix we have Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse, and assorted smaller stores where he can browse.

The question is - what is the most reliable magazine for the Mini 14 and where can it be found? Obviously Ruger factory mags are not available, but someone must be making something decent.

Thanks

Oh, and, yes, I know, sell the mini 14, etc. But since he won't . . .

If you enjoyed reading about "best Mini-14 magazine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kurac
April 20, 2007, 01:14 PM
The Ruger OEM magazines were/are the best, good luck finding one and be prepaired to cough up some dough

jthuang
April 20, 2007, 01:35 PM
Ruger factory are best but I think they are more available now. Of course, Ruger will not sell hicaps to mere civilians. However, you can buy their LE-stamped mags from dealers (CDNN sometimes has them).

Second place would go to PMI (Precision Manufacturing Industries). They are out of business but you can find their mags floating around.

I have five of the pre-ban PMI 30rd mags for my Mini and they work great. Got them for $10/mag during the ban, from Ammoman (of all places).

jeff-10
April 20, 2007, 04:39 PM
I've had luck with Thermold magazines.

El Tejon
April 20, 2007, 04:44 PM
Ruger mags not available???:uhoh: I just saw a whole stack of them at the little gun show we have here in Lafayette.

Check SGN, many people carry Ruger factory 20 rounders. IIRC $40 a pop is the going rate. Have seen them cheaper at police dealers like Kiesler's. J&G out there does not carry them???

Art Eatman
April 20, 2007, 05:46 PM
I've had 20-, 30-, and even 40-round mags for Minis. I still think the overall best is the factory ten-round magazine. It protrudes very little, and carrying the rifle at the balance point is quite easy.

Unless the main point is that of rapidly turning money into noise, of course...

:D, Art

TT
April 20, 2007, 06:20 PM
Does Ruger make a 10 round mag? Iíve only seen 5s and 20s. :confused:

MSGT9410
April 20, 2007, 06:53 PM
I have 2 factory 20 rounders, and they work great with no problems whatsoever.

4fingermick
April 20, 2007, 07:48 PM
Used mini 14s at work for 20 years before they replaced them :(. The only trouble we ever had was non original magazines. All got scrapped and since using Ruger only, the department never had any more trouble. We used to load 10 rounds in each 20 round mag. Mick.

Glockfan.45
April 20, 2007, 08:00 PM
I never found an aftermarket mag that worked in my mini. Factory Ruger 20 round mags are out there, but they will cost you. I bought a few at a local gunshow a few years ago for $30 a piece. They cost more but I would rather spend more on mags that work, than spend less on junk that fails. Plus I got a premium selling them off later when i sold my mini ;) . I had enough $ from selling to buy alot of AR mags.

22LongRifle
April 20, 2007, 08:25 PM
Rugers all the way!

Jerry

Titan6
April 20, 2007, 09:31 PM
I also see plenty of 20 rounders at the shows for $30-40. But, I buy the Ramline 30 rounders for $10-15 new or good condition used. I have either been very lucky (according to some) or maybe they are not as bad as everyone says, because despite 1000s of rounds I have never had a jam.

MachIVshooter
April 20, 2007, 09:41 PM
I've had no trouble with my 30 rounders. IIRC, they're USA brand.

DWARREN123
April 20, 2007, 09:49 PM
Ruger mags work best, after that I like Pro Mag but only have them in 10 rounders so I do not know about their higher cap models.

funfaler
April 20, 2007, 10:19 PM
Black Warrior mags by John Masen http://www.johnmasen.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=J&Category_Code=RMA

I have yet to get or try them, but they come highly recommended, on par with the PMI mags, some say as good or better than Ruger. Give them a try, and let us know back here what you think. Not a bad price either, may do better at a different source, shop the internet first, seems I saw them for 12-13 each for 30 rounds. Not sure if he makes 20 rounds, but he has 10 rounds on the site

Good luck

longeyes
April 20, 2007, 10:46 PM
Factory, without doubt.

And this is one of the key issues with the Mini-14.

Mark Whiteman
April 21, 2007, 12:28 AM
Ruger factory #1. When the AWB lifted, several outlets had them under $25/ea.
Others were available at even lower prices. ProMag polymer 20s were around $8.
As soon as the AWB was reintroduced, all that ceased. I've seen Ruger factory 20s anywhere from $40-$75/ea. There haven't been any Ruger factory 10s on the market since the first year or so of production, that I know of. They fetch $80 and up on auction sites. Want a mag and no problems? Ruger. Don't mind having to tweak to smooth out any problems? PMI are good, Promag poly 20s and steel 30s have had some good feedback. For gobs of detailed mini-14 magazine info, try here (http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=105).

MustangHowie
April 21, 2007, 09:29 AM
$12.99 @ CDNN for Black Warrior.

MechAg94
April 21, 2007, 10:04 AM
I don't own a mini, but my Dad had one since I was a little kid. I don't remember him ever having any problems. He had a stack of Ruger 20 round mags that still work fine.

If this is anything like AR15 mags, you can buy cheap mags that are not as good, but you will buy 5 mags and hope 2 or 3 will work well. You might get lucky, but you might not. I have 2 40-round USA mags that work fine in my AR. I have other USA mags that are crap.

Loggerlee
March 1, 2009, 11:19 PM
I've got couple of Eagle mags 30 round mags,they work great,and a Factory 10 rounder,it's the best,and of course the 5 rounder that came with the rifle

I've also had a couple of cheap pieces of crap,they wont work,no matter how much tweeking I do,I get tired of clearing FTFs,if you can't fix it with a couple of tweeks just toss it on the ground and give it a couple of good stomps,that will keep it from accidentally ending up back in the shooting bag.

Mark Whiteman
March 2, 2009, 12:11 AM
Howdy, Loggerlee. Can I ask how long you've had the 10, and how much you had to give for it? I finally found a second one, but they're scarce.

Ignition Override
March 2, 2009, 03:30 AM
Ruger has been selling their factory 20-rounders to non LEO civilians since the election, for about $30.
This was the first time, ever.
They then increased the price about $10 dollars or more due to the overwhelming sales, and might still be available on back-order.

Last spring bought a polymer 30-rd. Promag for my old 14, and although it fits with a wobble and has been loaded to only 10-20 rounds (less ammo consumption), it has never had a misfeed.

There is a magazine forum at "Perfectunion", due to problems with the so many Mini 14 and 30 aftermarket mags. On the main page click on 'Mini 14' and on that next page, it is near the top of the list.

pgeleven
March 2, 2009, 03:44 AM
Eagle mags.... much less failures than any other mag ive tried

http://taylorgunsmithing.com/Store/images/Ruger_mini_14_30_round_magazine.jpg

http://taylorgunsmithing.com/Store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6

PAULREVERE
March 2, 2009, 06:01 AM
I bought 3 John Masen Masen 30 round mags a year ago. None of them worked 100%. Stick with Factory.

Myles
March 2, 2009, 10:54 AM
Factory 30 rounders have never failed me. I've seen USA mags that would not lock into place because the welded "block" was almost an inch out of place.

I have had good luck with the old Ram-line transluscent magazines, however the spring can be a bit weak when more than 28 rounds are loaded.

husker
March 2, 2009, 11:22 AM
FACTORY 20 rounders

Victor Romen
March 2, 2009, 11:49 AM
Ruger has been selling their factory 20-rounders to non LEO civilians since the election, for about $30.
This was the first time, ever.
They then increased the price about $10 dollars or more due to the overwhelming sales, and might still be available on back-order.

As I understood it, they were on sale for $30 from Election Day until Inauguration Day. Original price was always $40.
http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2008/11/07/ruger-mini-14-magazine-sale-the-inaugural-special/

jeff-10
March 2, 2009, 03:27 PM
Word on the street is Ruger is once again manufacturing 30 round magazines. However they are not selling them thru their web site as it is believed they want people to go through their distributors. Here is a link to a closed auction for 30 rounders. As you can see they are in the new package not the old white boxes.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=123224359

greyeyezz
March 2, 2009, 03:52 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/greyeyezz/P1010854.jpg

HOME DEPOT GEORGE
March 2, 2009, 07:45 PM
PMI 30 rounders are excellent but are not made anymore but can be found here http://www.franksgunstuff.com/wvss/index.php?cPath=27_105&osCsid=733d771a5a9bd3e7bc8445d7486d0c2c

The Deer Hunter
March 2, 2009, 07:59 PM
Unless the main point is that of rapidly turning money into noise, of course...

Haha where would the fun be?

If you enjoyed reading about "best Mini-14 magazine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!