Tom Plate commentary sickens me

PDA

THE DRILL INSTRUCTOR
April 21, 2007, 04:40 AM
I found an article here (http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/18/commentary.plate/index.html) that truly sickens me. It shows what sheep americans have become. Well, most of us.

Last month, I was robbed at 10 in the evening in the alley behind my home. As I was carrying groceries inside, a man with a gun approached me where my car was parked. The gun he carried featured one of those red-dot laser beams, which he pointed right at my head.

Because I'm anything but a James Bond type, I quickly complied with all of his requests. Perhaps because of my rapid response (it is called surrender), he chose not to shoot me; but he just as easily could have. What was to stop him?
This occurred in Beverly Hills, a low-crime area dotted with upscale boutiques, restaurants and businesses -- a city best known perhaps for its glamour and celebrity sightings.

Oh, and police tell me the armed robber definitely was not Korean. Not that I would have known one way or the other: Basically the only thing I saw or can remember was the gun, with the red dot, pointed right at my head.

A near-death experience does focus the mind. We need to get rid of our guns.

What strikes me as hilarious is how this fool can see a laser sight pointed at his forehead. Real life isn't the movies, you can't see the beam of a red laser under normal conditions; and you can't see your own forehead.:banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Tom Plate commentary sickens me" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Waywatcher
April 21, 2007, 07:59 AM
From personal experience, lasers 'wobble' quite a bit and it's real easy to tell when they're pointed at your eyes, even if only for a split second.

The real problem is that the author thinks if the robber didn't have a gun, the crime couldnt have happened. :rolleyes:

Armed robbery doesn't necesitate a gun, and I think a candy bar in a jacket pocket would have been enough to take this guy's valuables.

Bluehawk
April 21, 2007, 08:58 AM
Lasers are visible under the right night time conditions such as high humidity, smoke or fog...etc.
I read that article too and the guy is sadly misguided!

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

ptmmatssc
April 21, 2007, 12:00 PM
I sent a response . We'll see if they post it .

Jimmie
April 21, 2007, 12:04 PM
Anybody else not surprised that he's a sheep?
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2007/US/04/18/commentary.plate/vert.plate2.jpg

Waywatcher
April 21, 2007, 12:17 PM
He is completely delusional to think the situation would have been any less lethal if the robber had a big knife instead.

The robber's choice of arm means nothing if you are caught off guard and willingly surrender. :rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "Tom Plate commentary sickens me" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!