Got my stuff...now ready to start!!!

PDA

Quoheleth
April 21, 2007, 03:19 PM
After a month of schwaffeling, I finally got my you-know-what in gear. I ordered a Lee hand press w/dies for my .357 Ruger GP 161. Thanks to a couple generous donors on this site, I am also on the way to being well-supplied with .38 spcl brass. I've been doing my homework, reading the manuals. This week or so, I'll stop at the local gun shop and pick up my components.

This might sound silly, but I'm wondering what my best bet would be for my first run of reloads, bullet-wise. I want to run a batch of target ammo using some of my .38 hulls.

Recommendations on bullets? Start with jacketed bullets - FMJs, probably, for cost factor - or go ahead and try hard cast lead - WC or SWC. The shop has a whole slough of jacketed stuff, but only Hornady lead. The Hornady stuff is a *little* cheaper, but since I'm a rookie, I am also looking for simplicity.

Preacher Man

If you enjoyed reading about "Got my stuff...now ready to start!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CZ57
April 21, 2007, 08:49 PM
PM: You'll get around to all of them eventually. As far as simplicity with your first loads, 125 gr. jacketed bullets will probably be the way to go. Not as much flare will be needed vs a lead bullet and you'll have a more generous width for your roll crimp. Load data is plentiful. If you think you might like the lower weight, 110 grainers also, and 140s won't be much different from loading 125s. I order Rem. SJHPs in bulk and that will save you $ down the road. I like the jacket design and they shoot as well as any for me.;)

LAH
April 21, 2007, 09:32 PM
PM load the jacketed stuff if you want but those 38 Hornady's are normally very good shooters. My first loads were 38's also. I used cast WC's with
700X powder but the J word bullets will do fine.........Creeker

If you enjoyed reading about "Got my stuff...now ready to start!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!