Woo hoo, my first ammo off the press.

PDA

saltysquid
April 21, 2007, 05:35 PM
Well, I made my first 10mm ammo and I'm ready to test it. I can't wait to fire ammo that I made myself, kind of kid like I guess since I'm an old guy, but stoked nonetheless.

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/5126/10mmmh6.jpg

The 550b went smooth in all aspects on this small amount to start off with, I set the powder to throw 9.2 AA7 and it was dead nuts on the 10 times I dumped and weighed it before doing these.

The starting stats are:

Precision 185 to 1.25 oal
Winchester primers
AA#7 9.2
Lee factory crimp

If you enjoyed reading about "Woo hoo, my first ammo off the press." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
scrat
April 21, 2007, 06:08 PM
nice very very nice.

congratulations

Idano
April 21, 2007, 06:34 PM
Outstanding, sounds like your hooked.

CZ57
April 21, 2007, 07:04 PM
Congratulations Salty! Very good powder choice. AA#7 has been recommended for accuracy in 10mm since data started appearing about 20 years ago! Hope they shoot well for you!;)

BBQJOE
April 21, 2007, 07:21 PM
Yup. There's something quite satisfying about making your own bullets.
Not sure if it's the fact that you can, or the money you save.
Probably both.

saltysquid
April 21, 2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks guys. Yes I'm hooked, I have seen a lot of people using the #7 so I thought I would go with it. I may try the power pistol also at some point also since I see a number of people using it and I believe it's both Joe. In the case of 10mm the money being saved is nothing small, it's expensive off the shelf.

SASS#23149
April 21, 2007, 08:19 PM
I felt the same way after my first reloads hit the catch bin.:)

LAH
April 21, 2007, 08:27 PM
And another one is hooked..........Creeker

the pistolero
April 21, 2007, 09:41 PM
Congratulations! I'll be going out in the morning with my first 10mm ammo. (See this thread (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=270276).) I can't wait. My chrony got here day before yesterday. :cool: What will you be shooting it out of?

saltysquid
April 21, 2007, 09:50 PM
I have a DW Cbob for carry right now and hopefully in a short time i will have a G29 for a toss around carry gun. I also plan on having a DW Razorback at some point. You?

Nevermind, I saw Kimber Stainless Target II in your thread.

Congratulations to you too.

GaryL
April 22, 2007, 12:20 AM
And another one is hooked..........CreekerShoot, another guy driving up the price of components.....

Oh, yeah, THR, congrats. :)

Lotta fun isn't it?

I had a wedding to go to at noon, but managed to crank out 100 rnds of 9mm before leaving the house.

saltysquid
April 22, 2007, 12:27 AM
Yep, this could get real addicting.

the pistolero
April 22, 2007, 07:53 AM
hopefully in a short time i will have a G29 for a toss around carry gun.

While I am not the biggest fan of the Glock, I must say that would make a dandy carry gun -- though I wouldn't mind having one of those CBOBs either. So many guns, so little money. :D

saltysquid
April 22, 2007, 12:54 PM
The glock is pretty much it in a lightweight 10mm and from what I have seen peole that have them really like them. The Cbob will still be my favorite carry gun, I absolutely love it, but sometimes a lightweight comes in handy especially during the summer with shorts, etc.

I wish they made a 10mm XD, I had a couple of them and like the ergonomics better than glocks, but they don't so that's moot.

fish1
April 22, 2007, 01:01 PM
You sound the way I felt a few months ago after loading my first batch of .45 with my 650. Nothing quite like it. After a couple of weeks I bought the tool heads and dies for 9mm and .40. Also plan to to load .38 Super and 10mm.

What do you mean this can be addicting?

fish1
April 22, 2007, 01:03 PM
Anyone know why I have been posting since 4/2005 and every so often I am listed as a new member with 1 post?

Soon I will be the oldest member ever with 1 post.

bigger jon
April 22, 2007, 01:21 PM
Welcome to the club:)
Just so you know, the carefree days of shooting are OVER! your now going to spend more time on you knees rather than shooting looking for those last 2 pieces of brass that allways seem to get lost? And spend countless time on the phone and online looking for the best deal on powder or bullets, Hevan help you if you ever star to cast your own:p
Now for some helpfull hints from a old guy who`s been loading for 30 years now,, Keep a record of all your load data, this helps a whole lot in the years to come,Write a date on all your loading supplys,they last a lond time but it`s nice to know.call RCBS Dillon or what ever you got in the way of gear and tell them you broke a decapping pin in your die keep these on hand befor it realy dose break on you late at night when everyone colsed..
Best of luck and enjoy,

The Bushmaster
April 22, 2007, 02:21 PM
Well.....Do they go "BANG"? Or "ppphhhtttsss"?:D

koja48
April 22, 2007, 03:36 PM
Congratulations! Welcome to the addiction, err, disease, I mean the next most enjoyable hobby after shooting . . .

saltysquid
April 22, 2007, 05:01 PM
Thanks guys and I will test the "bangability" this week.

RustyFN
April 22, 2007, 06:51 PM
Remember, your first loads you are supposed to shoot weak hand or have a friend shoot them.:D Congratulations and welcome.
Rusty

If you enjoyed reading about "Woo hoo, my first ammo off the press." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!