AR Aluminum handguards

PDA

ShelleyB.
April 21, 2007, 08:31 PM
I want to replace the handguard on my AR HBAR. Weight IS an issue and I've looked at countless aluminum tactical rail handguards on more websites than I can remember (I want to add a flashlight and forward grip handle), but NONE give their weights.

Can anyone recommend the lightest weight good quality 7" aluminum tactical hand guard?

If you enjoyed reading about "AR Aluminum handguards" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Onmilo
April 21, 2007, 08:41 PM
I am going to use Yankee Hill Machine and Tool two piece Tactical handguards on an upcoming 20" rifle build.
Weight is about 13 ounces for these and the carbine version should be about 4 ounces lighter give or take an ounce.

ShelleyB.
April 21, 2007, 08:55 PM
Thanks! I've read good opinions of the YHMT handguards so I'll investigate further on the carbine version weight.

Rattlesnake
April 21, 2007, 09:16 PM
Yankee Hill one piece free-float quad-rail 14.3oz. two-piece quad-rail not free-float 9.9oz. Daniel Defense free-float quad-rail 8.5oz. From Brownells Mil/le catalog.

ShelleyB.
April 21, 2007, 10:18 PM
Great! Thanks for the weights. Facilitates getting this all figured out before I order anything.

Zeke Menuar
April 22, 2007, 02:15 AM
If you don't plan on hanging a bunch of tacticool stuff off your AR, consider carbon fiber.

Easy to install if you have the right tools. Weight is six ounces soaking wet.

This is a Clark custom tube. Mine was bought at Brownells for $85. If you buy from Clark Custom directly they will install for a price.
There are no provisions for a rail but I think I can install one pretty easily.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/ZekeMenuar1/FFtube.jpg

ZM

If you enjoyed reading about "AR Aluminum handguards" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!