Preliminary Range Report: First Handloads

PDA

the pistolero
April 22, 2007, 02:57 PM
As detailed before, I made my first 10mm rounds early last week, and I worked up some more yesterday, using the same components & load. What I took:

Bullet: 155-gr. Hornady XTP
Powder: Accurate Arms No. 9
Load: Minimum, 14.3 grains
Primer: CCI Large Pistol (not magnum)
OAL: 1.250"

Firearm: Kimber Stainless Target II

I took about 35 rounds with me this morning. And it might sound weird, but I was more than a bit nervous. What if I have a misfire? What if I put too much powder in one or seated it too deep? Granted, I made certain that I measured both the powder charge and OAL several times before I hit the door with my homemade ammo, but I was still a bit nervous. So I got to the range, set up my target, put a couple rounds in the mag, racked the slide,took aim...BAM! Dead center, right where I aimed, and the gun was still in one piece. Yeee-haaa. :D And so it went, on through what I took, no misfires, no FTFs, no jams. This was just more preliminary more than anything else, I was not testing for accuracy so much yet, just wanted to see how the gun would eat them. What I found interesting, though, was the chrony results. Keep in mind, I worked up with the minimum load, which is rated at 1244 fps according to Accurate data. But I chronoed just a few shots at random, and this what I got:

I don't know how much was affected by the light, but I know the chronograph was level, and I was about 6 ft. or so from it, so a couple of shots might have been affected by the muzzle blast. Error messages also came up on a couple of shots, but it took most of them. I thought that data was interesting, specifically the high and low and the fact that it chronoed so much faster than what Accurate rated it for. Comments, anyone? I'd especially like to hear from the 10mm and/or Accurate powder fans. All in all, though, I feel a tremendous sense of pride and accomplishment. Am I hooked? Dang skippy. :D :D :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Preliminary Range Report: First Handloads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
April 22, 2007, 08:56 PM
Am I hooked? Dang skippy. :D :D :D

Another one bites the dust.

Good job pistolero. Velocities seem a bit high though. Lets hear from the 10MM pro's :)

CZ57
April 22, 2007, 08:57 PM
Pistolero. What distance does your chrono instructions recommend? Typical is 10 - 12' from the muzzle and may be why you were getting error messages and higher than typical velocity for the load. I would consider the 1337 FPS velocity an anomaly, particularly if it was the first shot fired. Discounting it, you have a low of 1435 and a high of 1530 with an extreme spread of 95 FPS. Unless your manufacturer recommends 6', I think you'll see better results at 10 - 12'.;)

the pistolero
April 22, 2007, 09:07 PM
What distance does your chrono instructions recommend?
I have a Shooting Chrony F-1 (the green one). The instructions say, "Chronographs should be at least 10 feet from the muzzle of a high-powered rifle, but can be closer to guns with a lesser blast." I was thinking I'd do fine between 6 and 8 feet, but maybe not. Maybe a tripod would be good...

scrat
April 22, 2007, 09:12 PM
All i can say is awesome. welcome to the world of reloading. Shooting will never be the same.

CZ57
April 23, 2007, 12:21 AM
Tripod? Mucho Gusto!;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Preliminary Range Report: First Handloads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!