Has anyone tried to derail a buy-back?

PDA

Clipper
April 22, 2007, 02:49 PM
This Friday, April 27th, there's a gun buy-back at the Western Rd. fire station in Flint, MI. It's being funded by Patsy-Lou Williamson (Who, BTW is a state senate canidate and wife of the mayor of Flint, not to mention the supposedly largest G.M. dealer in the world), and run by FPD, most likely at the orders of her husband...

My question is this: Has anyone tried setting up next door or across the street and offered to buy those guns for more than the buy-back types? Have you been harrassed by the police for doing so?

If you enjoyed reading about "Has anyone tried to derail a buy-back?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ny32182
April 22, 2007, 04:31 PM
The thing about a "buyback" (I don't like that term, since they can't "buy back" what they never owned in the first place) is that they are offering like, what, $50 (or some other negligible amount) per gun "no questions asked", or whatnot. No legitimate owner with the slightest clue about their gun is going to let it go for $50. I would strongly suspect the only thing you are going to see at the "buyback" is complete junk that is not worth $50.

floridaboy
April 22, 2007, 05:00 PM
I HAVE asked our town police about this. I was told that they knew of no legal reason why I couldn't do it. But the nearest ones I've heard of have been in Orlando, their PD told me they would arrest me if I tried it.:mad:

The Amigo
April 22, 2007, 05:16 PM
Be careful if u end up buying a weapon that's been in a crime you re asking for trouble. Stick with the pawn shops ext..

bogie
April 22, 2007, 05:16 PM
I'd suggest that you see what you need to do about any local business permits first, including something to operate a "streetside" dealie.

Get a sign made that says "Federally Licensed Dealer - We Pay $100 for some guns"

Keep several other things in mind.

You _may_ find some interesting WWII sourvenirs, etc., but some may be illegal.

Some of them may be stolen - if you buy a nice Glock for $100, and then it turns out to be stolen, you just ate that $100.

tmajors
April 22, 2007, 05:39 PM
I would strongly suspect the only thing you are going to see at the "buyback" is complete junk that is not worth $50.

I'm waiting for a buyback in my area to unload two Jennings pistols that I got before I actually knew anything about pistols. Till then they collect dust cause I can't bring myself to actually destroy a working firearm no matter how crappy they are.

bogie
April 22, 2007, 05:56 PM
Idea:

Place an ad... "Gun Buy Back" in your local urban paper. Use the normal weasel words, and offer between $25 and $100 ("Up to $100!") and so on... Be prepared to have everything checked with the cops, and require an id of every piece.

You may get lucky, or you may lose money.

Guns R Tools
April 22, 2007, 05:58 PM
You don't have to actually buy from people on the spot.

Just tell them how much it would be worth down the street at the pawnshop or other FFL retailers.

I don't think they can arrest you for free appraisal.

AntiqueCollector
April 22, 2007, 06:08 PM
That's an idea, offer free "appraisals" for guns, may convince many not to sell it to the gun grabbers.

allmons
April 22, 2007, 06:20 PM
when municipalities began buy back programs. Believe it or not, there were Lever guns, old WWII .45's and lots of junk. We quietly worked the rear and sides of the line, offering people $50 so they wouldn't "have to wait in line".

We figured every gun we bought would be one less melted piece of history and the owners were going to give them away for nothing anyway.

Don't underestimate the number of widows who will bring ( or send a family member with ) her late husband's pistol/rifle/shotgun to the buy back site.

The police did not bother us, BUT - your municipality may be COMPLETELY different. You should note that most of us were off duty police / fire / ER Nurses / EMT's and paramedics WHO knew the policemen and women on duty.

One of the firemen bought a Luger with SS markings, I picked up a Winchester .30-.30 and many .380 and .32 autos were purchased. As you have probably guessed, most of the weapons were JUNK, with even illegal sawed off shotguns and zip guns being turned in for money. Lots of single shot shotguns and bolt .22's will be turned in, as well as Hi Point and older Iver Johnson .22 pistols.

WoofersInc
April 23, 2007, 01:32 AM
Had an old Mosin-Nagant that I had paid $69.00 for once. Gun was broken after a few years of use. Local PD here had a buyback program where they were offering $100.00 So I made money for using the gun for 4 years. It was mostly old rusting pieces of junk that I saw. Took the money and bought another surplus Nagant.

Avenger29
April 23, 2007, 10:42 AM
Had an old Mosin-Nagant that I had paid $69.00 for once. Gun was broken after a few years of use

How on earth did you break a Mosin?

I just can't turn in even the worst Jennings to get some cash. It just supports the anti's beliefs that their buybacks work.

N3HCP
April 23, 2007, 12:51 PM
I've seen several buy backs in my area...I even unloaded an old, virtually worthless .22 revolver a few years ago. I really have no problem with them. Mostly they get old, rusty shotguns and the like. They may actually get a few unwanted handguns out of inner city homes where they aren't wanted, aren't properly stored, and are apt to be stolen and end up on in the hands of the bad guys.

Now don't get me wrong...I'm as in favor of keeping and bearing arms as the next guy, but if there is a gun in a home where it's no longer wanted, I'd sooner see it going to a buy back then to the local gang bangers.

All things considered, buy-backs have no negative impact on me or other legal gun owners and may actually help keep a few guns off the street.

cmidkiff
April 23, 2007, 01:12 PM
My neighbor asked me yesterday what he should do with the Lorcin 9mm his son had lost a spring from. If we had 'buyback' programs around here, that would have been my recommendation.

I told him to render it permanently inoperable... with a hammer... and ask the local PD how he should dispose of it.

SomeKid
April 23, 2007, 06:49 PM
I sometimes wish for a buy-back around here, as I would definitely show up to see what I could buy for myself.

If the cops don't like an honest citizen walking around looking, and buying stuff, TFB, it is still a somewhat free country.

tanksoldier
April 24, 2007, 02:11 AM
Huh. I wonder what the charge would have been?

<<I HAVE asked our town police about this. I was told that they knew of no legal reason why I couldn't do it. But the nearest ones I've heard of have been in Orlando, their PD told me they would arrest me if I tried it.>>

skud_dusty
April 24, 2007, 04:00 AM
I think it really depends on how you approach the situation. If you tell them you're a collector/hobbyist and tell them what you're looking for, I can see them being quite a bit nicer to you then if you simply said "hey, I don't like what you're doing. Is it illegal for me to try and screw up your buyback?"

bowfin
April 24, 2007, 05:53 PM
I just can't turn in even the worst Jennings to get some cash. It just supports the anti's beliefs that their buybacks work.

Well, let them think that. if you put that cash towards a nice firearm, then the gun dealers win, the gun manufacturers win, you win.... and the antis feel like they are winning, even though they have $50-$100 less to bankroll candidates and buy ad time, because they gave it to you who gave it to a gun dealer who gave it to Smith & Wesson or Remington.

6_gunner
April 24, 2007, 06:53 PM
Man, this almost makes me with there were enough rabid antis in my area to hold a "buy-back." I wouldn't mind gettin' me one of those $50 Lugers :evil:

Wordsmith
April 26, 2007, 01:48 PM
I know a few people who have turned in crappy guns from their early shooting days. In most cases, they had learned the hard way that Jennings and Lorcin didn't make good guns.

Most of the people I know who took their guns to the buyback put the money they earned toward a new Glock or S&W or something else of quality.

I don't have much of an opinion on buybacks, but one of the people I know who went to one said that the police were overpaying for most of the guns turned in. :)

CypherNinja
May 1, 2007, 10:54 AM
I've been waiting for a buy-back in my area so I can show up with a pile of $5 zip-guns. :D :D :D

Sean85746
May 1, 2007, 11:20 AM
I love buy backs!

I went to one in Tucson that was giving $100.00 CASH for every gun you turned in.

Now, I had 8 POS non working junk guns in my safe....single shot rifle, an old K Mart 410 that I had paid $35.00 for, that kind of thing.

I took them, sold them, and bought a new Glock.

:evil:

WeThePeople
May 2, 2007, 03:28 PM
I like the idea but really doubt that you'd end up with too much of any value! I do recall a recent "buy-back" sponsored by the Rev. Louis Coleman in Louisville about which the news showed mostly junk guns, but a couple looked like antiques that were probably worth much more than the 50 bucks or so that they were sold for. Interestingly, despite his claims that he has helped save lives with his "buy-backs," the murder rate just seems to keep climbing.

kellyj00
May 2, 2007, 05:53 PM
just walk around in the parking lot and offer to folks who have something that looks interesting. Don't even try to convince women that what you're doing is legal, just let them give it up...but be sure to tell them that it's worth about $400 at ANY pawn shop before they do so. If nothing else, it'll make them think before they give it up for some football tickets.

If you see any fellas going into a buy back with a gun, it's usually garbage as I've found out. I knew a guy who gave up a Lorinco .22 that fired in full-auto after the firing pin got 'bent' (his words, not mine) he said the gun cost him about $40 at the pawn shop so he was getting $10 ahead on the deal.

good work guys! Get those .22 shorts off the streets! You're saving possibly dozens of dollars in wasted steel.

Hoppy590
May 2, 2007, 06:39 PM
i think Free apraisal is a good option.

say little old granma brings in her late husbands GI .45 or captured luger.

you tell her, ma'am this is worth 500$. i can give you the phone number of a dealer who may be interested. or i can give you 250 right now.

chances are grandma doesnt wanna go to a gun shop to sell the gun. you give her a decent price compared to 50$. get a nice gun, and keep the numbers low on buy backs!

The Deer Hunter
May 2, 2007, 09:42 PM
Just set up a booth with a big sign:"$100 for your guns" or any denomination like $25 more that the cops have it. Then just tell them their gun is worth more that $50. Or you could just buy one.

JP1954
June 2, 2007, 04:08 AM
We had buy backs here some years ago when the Clinton administartion gave our local cops OUR tax money (grants) for the buyback....I worked it to my advantage....I unloaded two non-op non-salvageable guns for I believe $ 75 each and used the money to buy an operable gun:p:D

coat4gun
July 26, 2007, 12:18 PM
One of the problems with Government funded "buybacks" is that it is really your money they are using to "buyback" the guns. They are using your money and then destroying what they just bought. In my opinion that is wrong.

3fgburner
July 26, 2007, 01:49 PM
Or swords, for that matter. However, my Savage .22 semi is named "Buyback". I had a 40-year-old .22 pistol that my father had tried to field-strip while drunk. It was missing a striker spring, and no way to get a replacement (It was Italian). I tried several potential springs, and couldn't get more than 2 rounds out of it.

The cop that took it in, in exchange for a $100 savings bond, field-stripped it to make sure it was empty. Took one look inside the slide, saw the wreckage, and cracked up laughing. I told the local TV news crew, straight up, that I'd turned in junk and was going to buy a shooter. They didn't show that segment, of course.

We also had a couple of guys with FFLs working the lines. They scored a few. There were also some vaguely gun-shaped lumps of rust turned in...

The Deer Hunter
July 26, 2007, 05:47 PM
Walk up and down the line with a blue book of gun values book and tell people how much their guns are worth.

sojournerhome
July 26, 2007, 06:24 PM
I like the Blue Book idea.

But then, if people are stupid enough to sell them back without trying to sell them first...do you want them owning a firearm?

Ranger 40
July 26, 2007, 10:16 PM
With the way things are going they will have a Pit Bull Buy Back program. And who will clean up after that one.:uhoh:

armoredman
July 26, 2007, 10:56 PM
Sean, when was there a buy-from in Tucson? Lived here 40 years, never saw one advertised, had a buddy with a junk US Revolver .32 he's been holding all these years for a buy-from.
Stop using their terminology, ladies and gentlemen. If we let them frame the debate, we lose. It is never a buy-back, as that presupposes the government owned it from the get go. It's a buy-from, or more appropriately, a criminal empowerment zone, as they get to dispose of crime guns no questions asked, and unaware citizens throw away thier only defense for a pair of Nikes.

IA_farmboy
July 27, 2007, 12:19 AM
I think gun buyouts derail themselves over time. The police find out they are spending good money on bad guns (pieces of junk that are marginal or non-functional), and that the people that bring in these guns are likely to use that money towards a new gun.

People will realize after the next armed robbery that the buyout did nothing to protect them from such acts. An armed robber is very likely to get more money in one "hit" than they could have gotten by selling the gun... and they still have the gun. Should someone turn in a firearm that was once used in a crime and then that person is charged with a crime (as someone pointed in another thread did happened at least once) is seriously going to put a damper on any future buyouts. Are you absolutely sure your secondhand firearm was not used in a crime and the serial number traced?

I don't like gun buyouts. It's a waste of MY money since my tax dollars are funding a project that has no hope of achieving its stated goals. It is also done in such a way that infringes on my rights, and I'm not just talking about those rights enumerated in the Second Amendment.

kellyj00
July 27, 2007, 08:45 AM
check out the thread about "A BEST BUY IN CHICAGOLAND" that tells you all you ever wanted to know about buybacks or derailing them.

I'll stay home, thanks.

LotI
July 28, 2007, 04:55 PM
check out the thread about "A BEST BUY IN CHICAGOLAND" that tells you all you ever wanted to know about buybacks or derailing them.

This one? (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=291523&highlight=buy+in+chicagoland)

Kentak
August 5, 2007, 03:04 PM
If you're going to advertise a "buy-back," you're going to have to buy any gun that is offered, just like the real ones. Otherwise, what's the point? You could be setting yourself up to be shafted if people use it just to get rid of junk. On the other hand, Widow Jones just might bring in that trunk-full of German Lugers and Broomhandle Mausers that her hubby had stashed away in the attic.

K

If you enjoyed reading about "Has anyone tried to derail a buy-back?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!