Remington 770: Any Better Than 710?

PDA

kcmarine
April 22, 2007, 03:05 PM
Heard anything about these? Keep the model 770 in mind, not the 710.

I'm not really interested in buying one, just wanted to hear if they've gotten any better.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 770: Any Better Than 710?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chawbaccer
April 22, 2007, 04:00 PM
It features the same great action and barrel as our Model 710

From Remington's web site.

PotatoJudge
April 22, 2007, 04:04 PM
The 770 is uglier, but I doubt there are any substantial differences. Likely just going for the hype of a new model and trying to ditch the reputation of the 710.

Now if it at least had their new X-Mark trigger, that'd be a good start.

Gewehr98
April 22, 2007, 07:03 PM
Maybe the 770 is an effort by them to use up the 710's leftover barreled actions, and trick uneducated consumers into thinking it's a totally different gun until the stock is depleted. :D

Avenger29
April 22, 2007, 09:34 PM
Maybe the 770 is an effort by them to use up the 710's leftover barreled actions, and trick uneducated consumers into thinking it's a totally different gun until the stock is depleted.

Well, they tried to pawn off the 710 as a good rifle because of the Remington name. They could have just used the money they spent on tooling and such for the 710 and produced more 700 ADL's.

Frog48
April 22, 2007, 09:46 PM
At least its black, not that awful gray color of the 710.

armysniper
October 20, 2007, 11:10 PM
From what I understand, one of the things they changed on rifle from the 710 the mag release. Instead of being made of plastic it is now made of metal.

rangerruck
October 21, 2007, 12:29 AM
I have fired both, and recently just fired a 770 , that was in a scope package, and stainless, in 30.06 , it was disgustingly satisfying, and accurate.
but truth be told, if I could get a late made 710, with the good changes made to the bolt/action, ( no nylon or plastic parts) I would get it. the 770 has an ergonomic stock, with a decent recoil pad, but man , it is fug-ugly!!!
the 710 actually has a nicely texured stock, just begging to be put in a digital paint job.

maverickkillsx
November 4, 2007, 05:33 PM
listen...i dont know what you guys are talking about. the 770 is perfect (besides the bolt action which could be a little smoother.) other than that its not ugly..the stock was made to give the gun a tactical look instead of your grandpa's old beat up wood stock. plus the gun is lighter more accurate than most guns right out of the box. i bought it for under 300$ bucks at walmart (cause im a bargain shopper) and i got it in the .300 win mag. With the recoil pad on there the kick wasnt bad at all. plus i put all three rounds in a tight group and the second clip i did i shot really fast to test the action of the bolt and i still got them within 1 inch...which is the best i have ever shot. so in my opinion the 770 is a great investment IF you can find it on sale and IF you dont want to go through the hastle of sighting in the scope since the bore sighting is pretty much dead on.:)

gimposaurus
November 4, 2007, 06:40 PM
It's ****.

It's ****.

It's ****.

It's ****.

Have I made my point yet? If not:

It's ****. (and so are the rings and scope that come with it)

Ash
November 4, 2007, 07:07 PM
Yeah, and when you burn the barrel out, all you can do is throw it away...

Should have bought the Stevens that was $50 less (or the Mossberg).

Ash

Ash
November 4, 2007, 07:08 PM
But in any case, I am glad you like you Remington 770. You could have gotten better for less money, but as long as you are satisfied with your choice.

Ash

jpwilly
November 4, 2007, 07:25 PM
I saw a combo on sale at Wally World for $299. I didn't think it looked ugly at all and the bbl seemed to be pretty thick too and it does have a removable mag. Be that as it may I have already purchased a Mossberg ATR for my "Cheap" hunting rifle in 30-06. Even with all the "bad press" the 710 and 770 have I think that they serve a very good purpose and offer a decent return on investment.

rangerruck
November 5, 2007, 12:25 AM
I agree, it is just fine for a workhorse type job, "Chef reccommends"...

armysniper
March 11, 2008, 06:21 PM
For the price the rifle cannot be beat. I bought the 770 in 300 win mag. I also have a 710 in .270. Put simply these rifles are excellent for my use, hunting. Im not using these for competition. So a super smooth action is not needed. I look at it in economics....Cheap in price rifle puts just as much meat in my freezer as a expensive rifle would. The rifle is made well and I have never had any problems with the hundreds of rounds I put through my 710. You cant beat buying a 300 win mag for $329 at Wal Mart.

kcmarine
March 11, 2008, 06:45 PM
Who found this thing? :P I forgot all about this. Eh. I have a Saiga now. Forget the 770.

foggy246
December 1, 2009, 04:19 PM
does the model 770 in a 270 kick more than the model 710 in 270???

igotmeone
December 9, 2009, 04:36 PM
Okay ive been hearing enough bad stuff about a rifle that got 3 kills this year. I own a model 770 300 win mag. I have never missed a shot with it yet and performs beautifully at the range. I use Hornady Custom 165gr sst. I get Moa accuracy at 100 yards. Now that ive said that, the furthest shot i made this year was about 350 and the deer i shot didnt take two steps. Now im not saying i am a excellent marksman or anything like that, but this rifle doesnt deserve the bad rap its getting. Yes there are alot of plastic parts on it but nothing has broke on me and thats with about 120 rounds put through it so far. So if you are on a tight budget like me i would say buy a 770 its a good model and will serve you well. The only negative thing i have to say about mine is the scope it came with. I replaced it with a leupold marksman 4x12. Other than that great rifle in my opinion.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 770: Any Better Than 710?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!