SIG 556 Follow-Up Range Report

PDA

cslinger
April 22, 2007, 07:10 PM
Well I have now begun to get the gun set up the way I want and have had the chance to put a couple hundred more rounds through it. I thought I would update my last post/report that can be found here. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=269635

The gun is now set up as in the following picture with an Aimpoint on top. I am basically building the gun to be a 50 yards or less CQB type carbine. The gun as it stands right now can be seen below. Samson front iron and GG&G rear BUIS should be received and mounted this week.

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/123163-big.JPG

So I have a few changes to make to the previous review. As always out of 10 rounds with 10 being the best.

RELIABILITY - 10 ROUNDS - As I said previously I didn't clean all that thick white coppertone smelling preservative gunk out of the gun and off the oprod. Even with all that gunk I only had 4 failures out of the first hundred or so rounds. Once cleaned out the gun ran flawlessly with everything from light weight to heavy weight ammo, hollowpoints and FMJ. The gun runs smooth as silk now. So chalk up my first outing to user error. Remember to clean your new guns throroughly.

ACCURACY - 6 ROUNDS - At this point I would say the gun is a 4-4.5 MOA shooter. Now I have only put $5.00 a box 55 grain cheap UMC/Remington ammo through it. The 1 in 7 twist wants heavier ammo and I believe will do better with better ammo. I did run some 62 grain surplus on the first day but I wasn't testing for accuracy. So with 55 grain cheap ammo and an Aimpoint with a 4 MOA dot was was able to easily keep the rounds in a standard shoot and see target at 100 yards. Precision it was not but I was happy with the speed and ability to keep rounds in that target with a non magnified optic. I am only giving the gun 7 rounds because I still stand by the fact that a good AR15 will be inherently more accurate. I hope to eventually try some better ammo but for what I am building this gun for 50 yards and under I am happy enough with what cheap arse ammo will do.

OPTICS - 10 ROUNDS - Special mention goes to the Aimpoint. What a fine optic. Easy to sight in, super fast on target, great battery life, no wash out in the sun and seems very robust. I am using a standard Aimpoint ring and it does not budge. It is extremely robust. After numerous rounds it did not loosen at all.

OVERALL - 7 ROUNDS - I am going to bump this up a notch because with the Aimpoint and with some more shooting I am really getting in tune with the rifle. I still think it is heinous to not ship with some form of irons but I am getting over it. All in all it will make a dandy zombie CQB house gun. :D

Chris

If you enjoyed reading about "SIG 556 Follow-Up Range Report" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
April 22, 2007, 07:18 PM
Are you going to do anything about that dreadful grip? It's so horrible; further evidence that those that design them don't shoot them.:uhoh:

atblis
April 22, 2007, 07:18 PM
It's gotta be better than 4 MOA. My SKS we'll do 4MOA.

cslinger
April 22, 2007, 07:22 PM
Grip doesn't bother me at all.

With me behind the gun at 100 yards and an AIMPOINT I was only able to muster around 4 MOA with the mentioned ammo. That being said it was extremely cheap ammo and the dot on the Aimpoint is 4 MOA so its tough to do any precision work with those tools. At least for my meager skills.

El Tejon
April 22, 2007, 07:45 PM
How many rounds do you shoot at a time?

Seems to me that the ZIG556 would put a horrible wound on your finger, worse than an unmodified AR, if you took it to class and shot it a lot.

cslinger
April 22, 2007, 07:47 PM
I have shot 140 rounds in one sitting and not noticed any wear or discomfort on my hands at all. I do have small hands though.

Chris

possum
April 22, 2007, 07:51 PM
thanks for the follow up, from what i read i am not very impressed.

MarshallDodge
April 22, 2007, 08:33 PM
Nice review.

You should be able to get better than 4 MOA out of the gun. I was very excited about the gun when I heard what Sig was doing but after handling it and seeing the price I was disappointed. The gas system still intrigues me. Hopefully the price will come down but I can't justify the $1250 my local gun shop is asking.

cslinger
April 22, 2007, 08:37 PM
I believe I will be able to get better accuracy with better ammunition. Remember I was using some really cheap fodder type ammo.

My next range outing will see me use some better quality ammo.

Chris

cslinger
April 22, 2007, 09:48 PM
Scratch the 4-4.5 inches I said before. I am looking at the targets I was using and the hits are more like 2.5 to 3 inches at 100 yards. Again not great but not bad for the cheap ammo. I was using a VisiShot target and all rounds are within the 3 ring or closer.

atblis
April 22, 2007, 09:50 PM
I would expect it to be a 2 inch gun. 4MOA dot doesn't help.

If you want a gas piston AR, I'd look around for a Daewoo.

Bartholomew Roberts
April 22, 2007, 09:58 PM
I have a Lilja barrelled AR15 that will do sub-MOA 5rd groups with match ammo. Feed it cheap 55gr though, and it prints 3-4" groups usually...especially if you use larger group sizes. So I wouldn't write off the SIG on accuracy terms just yet. I think it will probably do much better with good ammo.

MassMark
April 22, 2007, 09:58 PM
Nice write-up - I have to say I like the looks of that rifle a lot and am looking forward to more range reports as she gets broken in....Shoot some good ammo for God's sake... :D

What are you using for a light and what's in the Bushnell bag??? Inquiring minds want to know.. ;)

cslinger
April 22, 2007, 10:14 PM
Shoot some good ammo for God's sake...

Geez, man I got like $1800 in the gun, optics, mounts and light. Give a brotha a couple weeks to recoup his ammo budget. :D

Light is a Streamlight TLR-1 and is a darn fine light.

Bushnell is just a mid priced spotting scope.

10-Ring
April 22, 2007, 10:57 PM
If your shooting to the capability of your optics, I'd think you're doing okay. I'd be interested in seeing what that thing will do w/ a 1 MOA Eotech or a standard scope and a rest.

bluto
April 22, 2007, 11:13 PM
10-Ring is on the money. You need better optics, a rest, and some quality ammo before you'll know anything about the real accuracy of your 556.

My Colt HBAR will shoot considerably better with Federal 69gr match ammo and an old cheapo 4X12 scope than it does if I use generic 55 gr. The difference is night and day.

cslinger
April 22, 2007, 11:36 PM
As for better optics, remember I am building this to be a 50 yards and less fast engaging gun. So the optics on board suit my needs.

I am going to run some better ammo in the near future though.

Chris

MassMark
April 23, 2007, 12:09 AM
Chris,

I know Aimpoints/Eotechs are all the rage and I've tested both and liked both. However, if you get the chance to toss a Trijicon Tripower on deck up there, I think you'll see your groups shrink. The chevron recticle is a thing of beauty. Precision at the tip of the triangle - cover for battlesight zero. It was just the ticket on my SOCOM. If you lived closer, I'd let you give my Tripower a whirl - it's really something.

Anyway, enjoy your rifle - I think it's an interesting design and hope it works out well for you! We'll take up a collection to get you some better ammo..... :)

If you enjoyed reading about "SIG 556 Follow-Up Range Report" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!