Would you still reload?

PDA

357mag357
April 22, 2007, 08:40 PM
mistake

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you still reload?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ReloaderFred
April 22, 2007, 08:58 PM
Yes. I've been reloading since 1963, and I find it an enjoyable hobby. It enables me to produce a product I can be proud of, and provides the ammunition needed for my wife and I to go shooting together. I don't care much for television these days, and rarely have it on. I much prefer the time spent at my loading bench, producing something, rather than staring at the one-eyed monster, and having nothing to show for it.

Fred

BBQJOE
April 22, 2007, 09:09 PM
Yeah I'd still reload.
If money were no object, I'd still have the hundred mile round trip to town to buy bullets.
If I bought as many as I make, they'd probably alert somebody.

cdrt
April 22, 2007, 09:43 PM
Yep, since I started shooting Bullseye again three years ago, I've shot off over 20,000 rounds of .45 ACP and .38 Special. Don't think I could afford to buy that many factory rounds. My two Star presses have been getting a workout.

Navy Vet & SWIFT Boat OIC

Chris Rhines
April 22, 2007, 09:50 PM
No, of course not. I reload in order to be able to shoot more. If I could blow off the yearly cost of 30-40k of pistol ammo, plus carbine, precision rifle, and shotgun ammo, that's more time I could spend shooting and less time spent chained to the Dillon.

- Chris

nitesite
April 22, 2007, 09:59 PM
I voted YES.

I've got enough components to load a whole lot of 9mm, 10mm, .38/.357, .45ACP and .44/.44 Magnum. Plus enough shot and primers to load a buttload of 12-ga in STS hulls ( maybe 5,000 or more). And I've set aside over 2,000 primed .223 cases. Oh, and .243 and .30-06. Maybe not enough to last me the rest of my life but there is still powder and bullets and primers out there to resupply with.

I actually enjoy the handloading experience, much more than buying whatever is available at retail or online.

The-Fly
April 22, 2007, 10:21 PM
I voted no, but i still would reload for some stuff. Like Varmint loads, match loads, etc. For plinking, i'd only shoot factory if money didn't matter.

Since money DOES matter, I reload almost everything.

dcloco
April 22, 2007, 10:26 PM
I reload for accuracy AND the cost savings. Even with the cost of reloading components going up, I am still saving 40-50% over factory ammo.

In the complete truth, handloaded ammo, tailored to my individual weapons, would be considered premium grade, so the cost savings is in the 50-65% range.

Add in the cost of a prairie dog going to heaven (in pieces) at 613 yards.....PRICELESS!

CZ57
April 22, 2007, 11:00 PM
dcloco summed it up pretty nicely. Priorities, 1. Accuracy, 2. Economy so I can afford to shoot ammo that is more accurate than factory loads, including premium ammo, and shoot more often.

I see this come up with 9mm a lot and there are cases where some of the cheaper ammo causes someone to question the practicality of loading there own. See #1. When it comes to high performance loads in 9mm: Forgetaboutit. While many +P loads are great, manufacturers do not have the flexibility the handloader has in selecting the most suitable propellant!;)

Encoreman
April 22, 2007, 11:06 PM
I'm with Fred, I don't watch the boob tube, and I rather enjoy rolling my own!!

Mal H
April 22, 2007, 11:17 PM
Would you still reload?

mistake
Please explain.

taliv
April 22, 2007, 11:33 PM
i voted yes because my loads are better than factory ammo.

if i could get decent match or target or defensive ammo that was comparable quality, then i'd stop reloading, and spend more time shooting

MarshallDodge
April 22, 2007, 11:38 PM
I started reloading to save cost but quickly realized that the quality of my loads were better than factory.
Friends asked me why I still reload 9mm when it was $6 a box but get the answer when I outshot them at the range. My reloads are tailored to my gun and have always outperformed the factory ammo, cost is just a bonus.

Idano
April 22, 2007, 11:52 PM
Absolutely, Fred summed it up perfectly.

trickyasafox
April 23, 2007, 08:25 AM
i think its fun, though admittedly i have trouble imagining a scenerio where money is not a consideration.

qajaq59
April 23, 2007, 08:32 AM
I voted yes because I find reloading to be a quiet, relaxing hobby.

Walkalong
April 23, 2007, 08:58 AM
I would do both, but reloading would cover the majority of my shooting. :)

ReloaderFred
April 23, 2007, 12:31 PM
I'll add to my previous post. I shoot some calibers that you just can't walk into a store and buy off the shelf. I've never seen 9x21 or 9x23 ammunition for sale in any store, not to mention how difficult it is to find .38 Super or even 10mm. Then there's my 45-120 Sharps, and the 9x25 Dillon that I'm working on. I've never seen .41 AE for sale, and probably won't. I shoot all these calibers, and reloading is the only way I can do it. Even my 45-70 is hard to find ammunition for, especially for the quality that I make for it.

So, in addition to the pure enjoyment of this hobby, there is also the necessity. The experimentation is also fun. A friend couldn't find bullets for his .40-65 Winchester, so I sized some .410 bullets to .406 for him and he's now happily shooting his old rifle.

So again, yes, I would continue to reload, no matter what.

Fred

Deanimator
April 23, 2007, 01:56 PM
For the most part, I can't get the ammo I need, loaded the way I want it.

If there's a place in the Cleveland area that has 148gr. .38 Special wadcutters loaded for my .38 Special M1911, I don't know of one. One place did once tell me I couldn't shoot my lead wadcutter reloads on their range. They tried to sell me 125gr. +Ps to shoot out of my Giles. I just packed my stuff and went someplace else.

It's doubtful that any gunstore in the Cleveland area has .308 loaded with the Sierra 175gr. Matchking BTHP and Vihta Vuori N150. I doubt I'll find any .30-06 loaded with the Sierra 200gr. Matchking BTHP and IMR4350 either. I GUARANTEE I won't find ANY factory ammunition ANYWHERE that's loaded to just touch the lands using a Stoney Point gauge set to MY rifles.

If you just want ammo, you go to the store.

If you want GOOD ammo, you handload.

stevekl
April 23, 2007, 02:04 PM
I like reloading. As in, I actually enjoy it. It's not a chore for me.

I don't shoot rimfire anymore because I can't reload the cases.

ECLIPSE45ACP
April 23, 2007, 02:06 PM
I would much rather reload then buy now that I do it, it is a very fun and addictive hobby. I don't know whether I reload to shoot, or shoot to reload!!

cmidkiff
April 23, 2007, 02:15 PM
I reload for accuracy in my bolt guns, and for desired energy levels with my revolvers. I don't reload for auto-loaders for 3 reasons:
1) My autoloaders are iron sighted battle accurate firearms, not tack drivers. Factory ammo is sufficiently accurate.
2) If you load autoloaders down in power, you reduce the reliability of the firearm.
3) I _hate_ scrounging brass off the ground.

I don't see that time and/or money would have any affect on my reloading or ammo purchasing habits.

scout26
April 23, 2007, 10:35 PM
youbetcha

scrat
April 23, 2007, 10:57 PM
sounds like you have not reloaded.

reloading opens up a whole new world of what you are capable of doing. Only way to go.

dakotasin
April 24, 2007, 02:27 AM
i load for accuracy, and only accuracy. i do not care about the cost, only accuracy. as soon as i find factory ammo that shoots more accurately than my handloads, i'll stop loading.

Art Eatman
April 24, 2007, 10:17 AM
Yup. But I'm a doityourselfer on everything else, also...

:), Art

Steve 48
April 24, 2007, 03:54 PM
My reloads are more accurate than factory ammo. Steve48

Sistema1927
April 24, 2007, 04:20 PM
Cranking out ammo is fairly decent therapy.

Shooting it is even better therapy.

pac-man-10
April 26, 2007, 02:25 AM
If money and time weren't a concern I'd spend more time shooting and less time picking up brass and loading. Although I'm sure someone would "report" me since I would shoot at least 100,000 rounds a year of 9mm,.40,.45 and .223 (I'm not joking, I really would). Actually come to think of it I'd probably shoot a thousand rounds a day which would be 365,000 rounds a year. Imagine how good you could get!!!!

Sunray
April 26, 2007, 02:32 AM
"...load for accuracy and only accuracy..." Exactly.
"...down in power, you reduce the reliability..." Nonsense. My semi-auto's(M-1, M-1 carbine, semi'd M-14, Inglis BHP and a Colt Government .45) have seen nothing but my handloads since they came to me. Never had a reliability issue a bath didn't fix. Factory ammo doesn't cut it for accuracy either.

happy old sailor
April 26, 2007, 04:10 AM
Reloaderfred offered my opinions except for the different calibers he ejoys. i am more into the buck and roar of more modern magnums. lightening killed my TV and saved me a bullet.

last evening we had a dandy rainstorm that the weather guesser said was five inches. it was a great time being in the reloading room. if i did not shoot, i think i would reload anyway, it is a great hobby and i encourage any one that shoots to do it as it goes hand in hand.

in answer to the original question, YES

wolfe28
April 26, 2007, 08:45 AM
Absolutely! I get one hole 5-shot groups at 100 yards out of my 22 Hornet with a 40gr VMax. Factory stuff can't come close to that. Besides, it's just fun.
D

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you still reload?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!