Ak47 bullet hollow point.

PDA

DWTL4EVER
April 23, 2007, 05:25 AM
"Inexpensive imported 7.62x39mm ammunition is also widely available, though much of it is of the non-expanding type that may be illegal to use for hunting in some US states. However, both some imported Russian ammunition like Wolf brand and American civilian manufacturers which produce both hollow-point and soft-point rounds, are suitable and legal for hunting."

How effective is the hollowpoint 7.62x39mm for hunting big game?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=OVLDURIIM15Y0CWQNWRSCOYK0BW0IIWE?id=0022899215188a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=0350101&cm_ite=0022899215188a&_requestid=787

If you enjoyed reading about "Ak47 bullet hollow point." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mike U.
April 23, 2007, 05:40 AM
Wolf hollowpoints have spotty mushrooming from what I've read and the same case with their soft points.

Best to stick with the big name ammo makers for 7.62x39 hunting ammo. Deer sized game is usually the largest game recommended for this cartridge.

DWTL4EVER
April 23, 2007, 05:59 AM
big name ammo makers?

Mike U.
April 23, 2007, 06:22 AM
Hornady, Winchester, Federal and Remington just to name a few.

Dr.Rob
April 23, 2007, 06:39 AM
Soft points are designed for hunting, MANY hollowpoints in this caliber (like those from Wolf) are not 'expanding' bullets in the traditional sense, rather the 'hollowpoint' is a result of a manufacturing process which leaves a small air cavity in the nose.

DWTL4EVER
April 23, 2007, 07:03 AM
Well call me crazy but I was thinking about going hunting with my ak-47.

Is there some kind of info/chart/pics of soft point vs hollow point 7.62?

doubleg
April 23, 2007, 10:26 AM
Last time I shot an ak was with wolf ammo. Well anyways I was trying to cut this tree down by shooting at it and when I was done I dug some of the bullets out of the wood. The FMJ and Hollow Points did pretty much the same thing. They just got pressed down on the sides there was no expansion at all.

MechAg94
April 23, 2007, 10:30 AM
Well, I don't know if wood is a good indicator of performance in flesh. :) Soft points are designed for hunting. I see them advertised quite a bit and at gun shows.

DWTL4EVER
April 23, 2007, 10:34 AM
So soft point is better than hollow point for hunting eh? I don't want to use this term but soft point has more "stopping power", Am i correct?

benEzra
April 23, 2007, 11:10 AM
For hunting with 7.62x39mm, I'd recommend the 150- to 154-grain softpoints. Brown Bear (Russian brand) makes some, as does Wolf and Cor-Bon.

The caliber is actually a decent short-range deer cartridge (Ruger makes the Mini Thirty in that caliber and advertises it as a short-range deer rifle), but it lacks the power to humanely kill a deer beyond 125 yards or so. Keep the shots at 100 yards or less, and it should be fine.

Mike U.
April 23, 2007, 02:16 PM
Make sure you check your local laws about legality of hunting with an AK. if it's okay, you'll likely need to get a 5 round magazine for your AK.
Wildlife officers tend to frown on folks hunting deer with a 30 round mag in their rifles. ;)

Nomad, 2nd
April 23, 2007, 02:17 PM
HP's... arn't.

the SP's are good though.

THere are 5 round mags avalable... use them to avoid legal troubles.

DWTL4EVER
April 23, 2007, 05:01 PM
How good is the SP at taking down a deer? What are the vital parts to aim for?

P.S (Imagine hunting with full auto LOL)

doubleg
April 23, 2007, 05:08 PM
Aim near the front of its torso right along its front legs. This where the heart and other vitals are located. Soft point is good for taking deer but more important is your accuracy. If you have good shot placement a HP will work as good as a Soft Point.

Cosmoline
April 23, 2007, 05:20 PM
123 grain HP's are not for hunting, as noted. They're not really designed to expand. The 123 grain SP's are OK, but on the light side. I'd go with the 150 grain Cor-Bons. They're the hottest factory ammo available for the 7.62x39 and are at the maximum range of what handloading can do as well. For woods ranges inside 125 yards they should be fine for deer.

DWTL4EVER
April 26, 2007, 02:49 AM
This is soft point?

https://www.dakotaammo.net/shop/product_info.php?products_id=126&osCsid=7970d99ff3c531f783e4bef342c5f36a

Am I correct?

tnieto2004
April 26, 2007, 03:18 AM
ya thats them but OUCH!!! $28.83 for 20 rounds of 7.62x39?!?! Thats crazy .. Here is soft points for a lil over $3 a box...

http://cheaperthandirt.com/AMM647-56007-257.html

An AK will drop a deer or hog pretty easily .. I have taken quite a few with my SKS .. Same round ..

Plink
April 26, 2007, 03:33 AM
There's nothing wrong with hunting with the 7.62x39. In fact it's a fine round for game within reasonable limits. The steel jacketed soft points don't always expand either though. Often the lead tip just mushrooms over and breaks off. It's worth spending a few extra bucks for high quality ammo if you're only going to use a few rounds for hunting.

ugaarguy
April 26, 2007, 03:39 AM
How good is the SP at taking down a deer?
The heavy end of 7.62x39 rounds and light end of 30-30 rounds converge in the 140 to 150 grain range. Looking at ballistic tables the two rounds are very similar in trajectory and energy in like bullet weights. From accounts related to me by folks who've hunted with their SKS rifles using the heavy for 7.62x39 soft points, the rounds indeed appear to perform much like the 30-30 on game. Given the wide range of game animals that have been taken by the old 30-30 I'd not hesitate to hunt medium game with a 7.62x39 soft point.

DWTL4EVER
April 26, 2007, 03:49 AM
You guys see any contradictions here? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_point_bullet

The-Fly
April 26, 2007, 03:49 AM
I've done wet pack testing with the wolf JHP's. They don't expand at all. Hardly even deform. Definitely stick with SP's if your gonna hunt using wolf ammo.

HGUNHNTR
April 26, 2007, 03:50 AM
The 154 SP will have about the same effectiveness on deer sized game as the 30-30. A quick reference is checking out muzzle energy tables available on most ammo manufacturers websites. Compare the unknown caliber with one you are familiar with. Don't confuse the velocity (fps) tables, with Muzzle energy (Energy/ME/ftlbs) tables though.

DWTL4EVER
April 26, 2007, 03:51 AM
"There's nothing wrong with hunting with the 7.62x39. In fact it's a fine round for game within reasonable limits. The steel jacketed soft points don't always expand either though. Often the lead tip just mushrooms over and breaks off. It's worth spending a few extra bucks for high quality ammo if you're only going to use a few rounds for hunting."

What do you recomend?

DWTL4EVER
April 26, 2007, 04:17 AM
Check this out.

read what it says for SP then read for HP. It sasy the HP expands more. ***??

http://matrix.dumpshock.com/raygun/basics/bullets.html

Oohrah
April 26, 2007, 03:50 PM
I would rather use the HP for two legged targets then FMJ.
However, any round in the proper place kills. I would use
nothing less then a SOFT POINT bullet. The import HPs are
not reliable expanding bullets, even though I have heard of
successful stories. I hear tales of comparisons to 30-30;
however, only the velocities are simular as the bullet weights
of the 30-30 is 150 to 170, compared to 125 gr, bullet energy
isn't near the same.
If it were me, find a source to load or load my own with
bullets at 150 gr. Velocity will be down, but weight, and
energy might make the difference between a kill and a chase
that hopefully someone else will tag.:D

Plink
April 26, 2007, 04:20 PM
DWTL4EVER,

I've used the 150 grain Cor-Bons and 125 grain American ammo (I don't remember which brand offhand, probably Federal) for deer and hogs both. They both worked perfectly. I'd say try a few American brands and see which shoots best for you. The Cor-Bon stuff is very pricey, but it was also quite accurate in the SKS I used for hunting. On deer the performance of both loads seemed identical. On hogs the 150 grainer did better. Both dropped hogs, but the 125's didn't always penetrate very well and required more precise placement.

I'd sure like to see some realistic tests of Wolf's 154 grain soft point. I generally go hog hunting a lot in the summer, so I might take some out to try this year. It looks like a great compromise between cost and performance if it expands reliably.

MudPuppy
April 26, 2007, 04:40 PM
I've taken a couple of deer with wolf sp--they were at about 50 yards.

In the future, I'm thinking of going with Cor-Bons.

As for legality, it varies greatly from state to state.

Matt Dillon
April 26, 2007, 09:14 PM
The Hornady VMAX ballistic tip 123 grain 3.10 bullet worked fine on the last white tail my son took!

benEzra
April 27, 2007, 10:09 AM
Check this out.

read what it says for SP then read for HP. It sasy the HP expands more. ***??
The Wolf hollowpoints are an exception to that rule. Most HP's are designed to be fragile, but the Wolf HP is basically just a non-expanding FMJ with the tip of the jacket cut off, probably for either manufacturing or marketing reasons. (Some match ammunition is hollowpoint but is not designed to expand, the hollowpoint is for manufacturing reasons.)

The Cor-Bon hollowpoints would expand more quickly than the softpoints, and as a result would not penetrate as deeply. However, 7.62x39mm is a relatively weak caliber, and the lightweight hollowpoints might be too fragile to humanely kill a deer, particularly from an angle (the bullet might not reach the deer's vital organs). Hence the recommendation to use heavier (150 to 154 grain) softpoints instead of the lightweight hollowpoints.

MHBushmaster
April 27, 2007, 05:50 PM
First off, Wolf brand ammo is not all the same
Wolf HP 7.62x39 Poly Performance (black box) is made at the Tula Arsenal
Wolf HP 7.62x39 Military Classic (camo box) is made at the Uly Arsenal

These two are two entirely different animals. All those that have said Wolf HP does not act differently from FMJ, I bet dollars to donuts you were using Wolf Poly Performance (black box) due to its HP being more of a result of the bullet making process.
The Wolf Mil Classic in the camo box does fragment inside of tissue, their have been some posts about this on other forums. Basically Wolf Mil Classic performs along the same lines as 55gr M-193 out of a 20" AR15, it hits tissue, it yaws 180 degrees in the first few inches of tissue, and as a result of this yaw, the 124gr .30cal bullet fragments into many smaller pieces and causes more permanent wounds than just the temporary wound cavitation.
Wolf Mil Classic HP is ideal for hogs, varmints and 2 legged looters.
Wolf Poly Performance HP is to be considered FMJ for terminal effects on the target.
That being said, you SP x39 ammo if you can find it, failing that, Mil Classic HP will work better than FMJ.
Happy hunting.

MudPuppy
April 28, 2007, 02:43 AM
I didn't know the difference--and my experience with the wolf hp was indeed the black box (and it appeard to behave like fmj).

I'll definitely pick up some classic HP and run some into some soft stuff to see how it works.

Mike U.
April 28, 2007, 09:26 PM
MHBushmaster wrote:

First off, Wolf brand ammo is not all the same
Wolf HP 7.62x39 Poly Performance (black box) is made at the Tula Arsenal
Wolf HP 7.62x39 Military Classic (camo box) is made at the Uly Arsenal

These two are two entirely different animals. All those that have said Wolf HP does not act differently from FMJ, I bet dollars to donuts you were using Wolf Poly Performance (black box) due to its HP being more of a result of the bullet making process.
The Wolf Mil Classic in the camo box does fragment inside of tissue, their have been some posts about this on other forums. Basically Wolf Mil Classic performs along the same lines as 55gr M-193 out of a 20" AR15, it hits tissue, it yaws 180 degrees in the first few inches of tissue, and as a result of this yaw, the 124gr .30cal bullet fragments into many smaller pieces and causes more permanent wounds than just the temporary wound cavitation.
Wolf Mil Classic HP is ideal for hogs, varmints and 2 legged looters.
Wolf Poly Performance HP is to be considered FMJ for terminal effects on the target.
That being said, you SP x39 ammo if you can find it, failing that, Mil Classic HP will work better than FMJ.
Happy hunting.

This is very interesting information. I appreciate your posting it as I had been curious as to what the difference was between these two rounds.

If you don't mind my asking, where did you come across the info?

Also, thanks for sharing it!

If you enjoyed reading about "Ak47 bullet hollow point." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!