Looking for info on a Marlin Model 81 I just bought.

PDA

Surecatch
April 23, 2007, 12:53 PM
Hi folks, I'm new to the board...I found it because I'm looking for a little info on a .22 Marlin I just bought. It's a model 81 with no serial number on it and combing the web has told me that this is how they were built and that it was built in 1937-1940. I was shocked that my gun is that old as it is in extremely good condition. What I am wondering about is how it works. I wanted a .22 with a tube load which this one has. But this gun also has a bolt action which contradicts info that I have scraped up on the net that describes it as having "automatic ejection." Now in picking the brain of a friend of mind who knows guns well (in email...he has not seen the gun) he tells me that it is possible that there is an inner bolt that can be adjusted to work as an autoloader once the first round is racked. After hearing that, I did a closer inspection and found that their IS an inner bolt that can be adjusted between two positions at the bock of the bolt assembly. One position lets the bolt rack and engage (pull down)...the other position does not allow the bolt to rack all the way. My email buddy says that this might be how it allows auto ejection but I still don't see how. There is no way for it to eject shells out the bottom or side...it would have to come right out the top and I just don't see it.

Does anyone have any specific information on this gun that can be of help to me? Any information is greatly appreciated. I wanted a semi-auto (ejection) but even if it's not....this gun is so fine looking It won't matter. I haven't had a chance to shoot yet either.

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for info on a Marlin Model 81 I just bought." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
eliphalet
April 23, 2007, 01:31 PM
If i were you I would go over to Rimfirecentral.com there is special marlin section there.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for info on a Marlin Model 81 I just bought." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!