Another "black rifle" question/decision

PDA

paddling_man
April 23, 2007, 03:05 PM
I would like to get a battle rifle... well... just because. ;) I've got pretty much every other niche filled and want to spend a little money.

Budget is low. $500-600. I've seen a couple I wish I had bought but hindsight, well, you know the story.

I'm not a big fan of 5.56 but I've not completely ruled it out. 7.62x39 would be fine but .308 would be great.

1 - Wasr-10. I've looked at a few and all have had really sloppy mag fit due to the Century dremel job. I expect them to be relatively reliable but sure is ugly. $300-$350.

2 - M70AB2 - Wow! This one looked really nice and when comparing it next to a WASR the difference was night and day. Really, really tight rifle. No points for or against the underfolder... I'm a big guy and it fit me fine. $499 local.

3 - CMMG Barrel AR. I was at a show in St. Louis a few months ago and CMMG had a booth set up. They had "barrel rifles." Yep, rifles in a barrel. Maybe 15 - 20 ARs (5.56) with a non-CMMG receiver. They had headspaced, testfired, and equipped the guns with their furniture including a collapsible stock. $500

4 - FAL. Man, I would love to have an FAL. I just like these and am a fan of .308. I was at the DSA booth during the Knob Creek shoot weekend before last. Their new guns are beautiful but, at $1800, out of my budget range for now. Though... at the Indy 1500 back in late October, I did meet "a guy" who had a metric FAL that was built. $550. Again, hindsight I would have bought it.

So... budget FALs and ARs can be found but they take time. No worries there barring HR1022. The WASR I might be able to wrap myself around but it didn't leave me with feel-good vibes. The Yugo/Century M70AB2 was actually surprisingly nice though, if I had a line on a domestic assembled FAL for the same price, it would be no contest - I would buy the FAL.

Opinions, please?

Thanks in advance!

If you enjoyed reading about "Another "black rifle" question/decision" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BigSoundRacing
April 23, 2007, 03:14 PM
I emptied my safe late last year and started researching a good strong rifle - everything I could read or get my hands on had FAL at the top of the list. So I now have a DSA SA58 FAL and I'll buy another as soon as I have the funds - no regrets.

You might want to keep an eye on the Marketplace of FALFILES.com. Good luck with your decision.

Be safe, BSR

possum
April 23, 2007, 03:34 PM
2 - M70AB2 - Wow! This one looked really nice and when comparing it next to a WASR the difference was night and day. Really, really tight rifle. No points for or against the underfolder... I'm a big guy and it fit me fine. $499 local.

there you go that is my choice and by far my favorite ak that i have shot and have experience with. they are all around great rifles great fit and finish, small, compact, low recoil, just plain fun to shoot, plus they are underfolders!:D they even have night sights, yeah they are dead by now but heck at least they have em and that adds to the coolness factor!;)

Nomad, 2nd
April 23, 2007, 04:35 PM
You can still find a FAL parts kit for low $200's.

You can have it built up... set up for under $600.

WASR10's that work can be found... and you'll have less than $400 in it.

Arsonal AK's...

Underfolders SUCK!

cmidkiff
April 23, 2007, 04:55 PM
There's lots of AK style rifles in 7.62x39 that would fit your budget.

A Saiga .308 might well fit your requirements, and your budget.

Spending $500-$600 _now_ on a rifle you won't be happy with later isn't a financially sound idea. If what you really want is a good quality FAL, save up some more money and get one!

rkh
April 23, 2007, 05:15 PM
If you plan on reloading, seriously consider an AR in 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel.

Both are superior to the 5.56 and either AK round. Rifle and magazine prices are about the same among calibers, and with the current cost of .223, ammo expenses shouldn't be much of a deterrent.

Its a lot easier to pick up a new caliber if you aren't married to the one its eclipsing--just ask the Army. The 223 is good. It does its job, but the newer chamberings do it better.

'food for thought.

Plain Old Bill
April 23, 2007, 05:29 PM
AR 180B. Built in mount, piston gas system like the AK, .223, light, reliable. The gun the Army should have purchased.

nwilliams
April 23, 2007, 05:58 PM
Underfolders SUCK!
I have to agree underfolder AK's suck!

IMO they have poor sight alignment, its uncomfortable to rest your cheek on them and fire and if you shoot them on a hot summer day make sure you don't leave it in the sun, that metal stock can get a tad hot:uhoh: The final thing I hate about them is the fact that the reciever is designed to accommodate the underfolder rig, so it limits you from using different stock options. Get an AK with wood or synthetic stocks and you then have the option of easily changing out the furniture whenever you want. Personally I like the add-on folders much more than the underfolder.

I bought an L1A1 a few months ago at a gunshow for $400 and it was in great condition. I wanted to put a pistol grip on it so I had to spend a little more money to buy 922r compliant parts but in the end the total cost still came to less than $500. However I went to a huge gunshow this weekend and I saw lots of them (most in worse cond than the one I bought) for a lot more money and many still had the thumbhole stocks. I would save up a little more money and get a DSA FAL, unless I could find a decent Century model for $450 or less.

If I were you I'd either save up a couple hundred more and get a decent AR or FAL, or go for a Yugo AK (just not the underfolder). The Romanian AKs are ok for the price, but I like the Yugos more.

rangerruck
April 24, 2007, 01:01 AM
Saiga, or Saiga, one of those two. they come in all your favorite cals as well.

RockyMtnTactical
April 24, 2007, 03:27 AM
Not any real black rifles listed there... however, I would suggest a Saiga, going with your budget.

If you enjoyed reading about "Another "black rifle" question/decision" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!