Help me pick a rifle.

Oleg Volk
April 24, 2007, 12:18 AM
I'd like to get a .223 rifle for self-defense. AR15, especially an SLR15, is my top choice -- except that the gas blowback make its use with a suppressor difficult. So I am looking at a .223 rifle that takes AR/STANAG magazines and has the following qualities:

- Iron sights that can be co-witnessed with an Aimpoint
- optic rail
- adjustable or short LOP stock
- some way to mount a flashlight and a forward grip (or doesn't need the grip)
- threaded muzzle

Conventional or bullpup layout, doesn't matter. Has to be available now, not next year. Please base the advice on rifles you've used, not on the spec sheets.

I disqualified SU16 for several reasons.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me pick a rifle." here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
April 24, 2007, 07:28 AM
Buy one of these :)

April 24, 2007, 08:15 AM
a robarm xcr seems to fit your criteria :)

April 24, 2007, 08:34 AM
oleg, assuming you're willing to put one together from the exact parts you're looking for, as opposed to buying a complete rifle from some place like bushmaster/RRA, here are a couple of threads discussing some choices.

note in the 2nd thread, rbernie, myself, bartholomew, and bozemanMT all selected almost identical components for our rifles. odds are good you'll be very pleased with a similar setup.

edit: btw, i'm a fairly short trip east of you and you're welcome to come shoot it this weekend.

April 24, 2007, 01:22 PM
Taliv, thanks for the links to those threads. They were helpful to me.

April 25, 2007, 12:37 PM
You're welcome. you also building now? if you do, post your choices.

April 25, 2007, 12:51 PM
out of the box, sounds like the xcr to me. spendy at about 1600.

Bartholomew Roberts
April 25, 2007, 01:59 PM
Hmmm, I don't know that I can suggest anything. AUG, AR180, piston AR or Daewoo? All of them have different flaws and to be honest, I think a lot of the gas blowback from a suppressed AR comes out of the ejection port (much like the MP5SD).

Of the rifles listed, I probably liked the AUG the next best because it is nice and compact and suprisingly ergonomic for a bullpup. The trigger doesn't win any prizes though. The AR180 is decent; but the olds ones tend to have wobbly folding stocks and the AR-180B doesn't handle sustained fire as nicely as an AR. Combine that with a proprietary mounting system and it would be low on my list. A piston AR has the nice ergonomics; but it is still going to blow gas through the ejection port, so I can't say if it will offer you relief during suppressed shooting.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me pick a rifle." here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!