Shoot or call 911?

PDA

Oleg Volk
April 24, 2007, 02:29 AM
http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/19066-2/whatwould9946.jpg

Hi-res (http://olegvolk.net/gallery/technology/arms/whatwould9946.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1)

PS: Which THR members are these?

If you enjoyed reading about "Shoot or call 911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TheDisturbed1
April 24, 2007, 02:32 AM
I love his expression :D

Good message nonetheless ;)

Frenchie Pete
April 24, 2007, 03:02 AM
In France, you before have to be killed, then you can shoot or call the police.
:D

bogie
April 24, 2007, 03:05 AM
What the heck is he holding?

Tacticool boomsticks are okay, but IMHO, they make for lousy public-consumption posters.

The-Fly
April 24, 2007, 03:19 AM
No idea who the members are. Your picture reminds me of the old Democrat vs Republican vs Libertarian joke.

The Democrat ponders why the the bad guy is threatening him, did he have a bad child hood, etc. The Republican goes "BANG". And the Libertarian goes "RATTA TATTA TATTA TATTA BANG" :)

Oleg Volk
April 24, 2007, 03:21 AM
He's holding the center post from my tripod. She's holding a 9mm AR.

AFAIK, the person holding the AR is a Democrat, also a very effective RKBA activist.

p2000sk
April 24, 2007, 03:26 AM
Sight seen, I'd say it is safer to pick choice A.

Run&Shoot
April 24, 2007, 03:33 AM
I think he wants her to call 911 :D

I think she plans to go bang! before calling 911 :cool:

TheDisturbed1
April 24, 2007, 03:34 AM
definately choice A.

and is that AR Full Auto?? :D
and was the perp photoshopped in? (to go with the gun rule of not to aim at fellow patrons unless...)

Tinmancr
April 24, 2007, 03:37 AM
who wanders there house with a heavily modified ar?
9mm is an interesting choice.
a good one in a house, don't want to kill the neighbors after all.
How good are those point and shoots in the dark?
I've never used one, usually just my 3 dot, irons or peeps.

Oleg Volk
April 24, 2007, 03:37 AM
The AR is not automatic, it is an SBR with an AAC silencer. It was made safe for the photo. I used it specifically to make the choice of weapon seem immaterial compared to the benefits of its use. I also have a version with a .410 SxS shotgun.

sm
April 24, 2007, 03:43 AM
I know who the lady is...;)

jeepmor
April 24, 2007, 03:46 AM
Call 911, ask for ambulance, tell them to there's no rush....:uhoh:

chris in va
April 24, 2007, 05:06 AM
Eh, not very realistic. Give the lady a shotgun, have a small child cowering behind her and have the guy come at her with a large knife. Or bat.

His shirt doesn't jive either. ;)

Like the slogan though.

Oleg Volk
April 24, 2007, 05:09 AM
I have a shotgun version. Didn't have a kid handy. Seems to me that disparity of force is illustrated well enough as is.

chris in va
April 24, 2007, 05:26 AM
You're up early!

bogie
April 24, 2007, 10:58 AM
That poor man is being held at gunpoint by the bad person with a gun - I hope someone called the police.

Seancass
April 24, 2007, 11:20 AM
i hope i'm allowed to laugh at the expression. good stuff

Dionysusigma
April 24, 2007, 12:12 PM
Not digging the tricked-out 9mm AR... it looks like a toy or a paintball gun. BG's shirt (and watch, for that matter) is too nice-looking... stained undershirt might be more in line. Also, the BG's weapon is... well, kinda strange. If it was a chain, knife, or crowbar, it'd fit better. See if you can talk the guy into not shaving for a couple of days, too... ;)

(sorry if any of the above sounds strange... I've not slept in 35 hours... )

The message (and his expression) are priceless, though. :)

Red Tornado
April 24, 2007, 12:16 PM
Okay, 19 posts later I still don't know who the members are. Steve knows, but he's not gunna tell!
RT

MD_Willington
April 24, 2007, 12:17 PM
lol.. I'm sorry but the bad guy reminds me of Shrek...

sorry..

lol

98C5
April 24, 2007, 12:19 PM
Hmmm, wouldn't that be considered excessive force?

:confused:

BOONER
April 24, 2007, 12:21 PM
Hey i dont look like shrek.......(do I )

BOONER
April 24, 2007, 12:26 PM
No it wouldnt...... i would only beat her to death a little......... I am 6 5 295 pounds have a a serious background i would have rathered she had 308. alos it could have been a domestic situation as well. so looks of clothes are not an problem

the supressed 9mm is a good choice low noise low recoil very fast follow up shots and a great ablity to be use strong or support hand only due to its weight and size..... g-17 9mm or sbr 9mm humm caliber is caliber and dead is dead

foghornl
April 24, 2007, 12:28 PM
Don't know the members name (Lady holding the AR), but I beleive she is the same member Oleg featured in his recent "Cops arrive in time to draw chalk outlines" poster

MD_Willington
Well that's not a bad thing, my kids like Shrek, like I said sorry.. lol

Watch Shrek 2... You'll see what I mean.

tinygnat219
The Tricked out AR should go. Replace it with a handgun, or shotgun or something.

Thanks!

GEM
April 24, 2007, 12:29 PM
He should have been a ........... Zombie!!

:D

Seriously, why not the ever popular big kitchen knife? I just don't get that much of a threatening vibe from the pole. Obviously, I know it is lethal but just talking first impression.

BOONER
April 24, 2007, 12:48 PM
if you guys new Barb......... you wouldnt make the little handgun comments she is a very acomplished ar/garand shooter, the gun fits her and her attiude.... to the letter beside she doesnt own a wheel gun.

bogie
April 24, 2007, 12:50 PM
Yeah, there's so much stuff bolted onto the poor thing that it looks like a Mattel toy... (sigh... what goes around gunkarma comes around I guess...).

If you do a reshoot around the theme, put him in a wifebeater that you used to clean your car with. Have her looking scared with his back to the camera, and shoot over the shoulder, under the armpit, whatever at her (that way you don't have to worry about his bad acting - sorry, dude...). Give her a .38 or something identfiable...

Seancass
April 24, 2007, 12:56 PM
ok, you dont look like shrek, but i can see why he says that. and i'm sorry, but if some guy ever walked towards me with that expression on his face i'd deff. shoot him.

edit: not to say any of us are better looking, we just try hard not to let pictures like that surface on the internet.

BOONER
April 24, 2007, 01:01 PM
iam kidding i have been called worse.........

sm
April 24, 2007, 01:07 PM
BOONER,

Nice to meet you via Internet.

1. Domestic abuse, stalker, person that gives estimates on repair ( I just had a guy about your size leave Mom's house giving an estimate for HVAC work)...

Bad Guy is Bad Guy no matter how dressed.

2. Barbara is in fact a very accomplished shooter, she trains and also fights like a wildcat for RKBA.

I don't give a crap what gun she has in this photo, or what caliber.
It does not matter what the Perp is wearing, he is 6'5" with a object in hand, and Barbara IIRC is only 5' 3" and weighs 120# sopping wet.

For a fact, one of our Members set up for his Mom a CX4 Storm in 9mm for HD.
His mom is 80 years old.
She is trained, checked out and can use that gun like one would not believe!

She may not be able to do her traditional 20 ga shotgun any more, She can use this CX4.

She still deer hunts with a 30-30 Handi-Rifle btw - just the CX4, even though "Buck-Roger-ish" black, and has a laser on it - means she can level the playing field in a world of Desparity.

I bet some would laugh at a 1100 12 gauge , Painted in Tribal Cherokee colors around here.
Bone stock, Loaded with Brenneke Slugs and this Cherokee and his brother were A Class shooters, and won all sorts of medals and prizes.
Same gun, just don't compete, and this gun - being a favorite does Serious Situation duty, is hunted with and still runs straights in skeet if they choose too.

Oleg, I like it.
BOONER, nice to meet you.
Barbara - oh hell you know what I am thinking and won't type ;)

Steve

Barbara
April 24, 2007, 01:14 PM
You guys didn't even go there. :neener:

1.) I don't own a revolver.

2.) That wasn't my AR, because I can't have suppressors in my state, and I use an Aimpoint and a KA foregrip.

3.) If someone breaks into my house, the AR is what I would use. If someone doesn't like it, that's too bad.

4.) I looked like that because I spent the day on the range, putting several hundred rounds down range out of the AR.

5.) If you think all bad guys wear nasty t-shirts, you're wrong. If you think all bad guys break into houses, you're also wrong.

6.) Last time I kicked that guy's butt, he was wearing a uniform and I thought he'd stolen my chocolate fudge.

7.) I'm not a Democrat.

sm
April 24, 2007, 01:21 PM
:)
Told ya she was a Wildcat...:D

Another point.

How are WE going to get AR and other firearms "accepted" and "myths busted" if WE do not simply show them being used by J.Q. Public?

One way is to simply show them being used and by whom.

Tyranny has slowly but effectively brainwashed the masses into ARs and other Black Guns are Evil. Add other firearm platforms...
Seems to me a Hunting Writer caught hell and upset some folks recently in regard to the stereotype of ARs and those that own and use them...

I'm old school, while other plays work, sometimes one has to put their head and run up the middle and knock the big guy on his ass.

BOONER
April 24, 2007, 01:24 PM
6.) Last time I kicked that guy's butt, he was wearing a uniform and I thought he'd stolen my chocolate fudge.

Hey can we please keep that part on the down low! it was bad enough it was witnessed by many i know ok

:(

Barbara
April 24, 2007, 01:25 PM
No kidding.

Like I said, that's not my AR, but an AR is what I shoot most often. I have a Rock River with a 16" barrel. Very light, versatile and easy to manuever. For me, for a housegun, its ideal.

And FWIW, I'm the one who built the lower on the gun used in the picture. First one I ever did, but it appears to be functional.

Barbara
April 24, 2007, 01:26 PM
Hey can we please keep that part on the down low! it was bad enough it was witnessed by many i know ok

Sorry, dude. I owe you one.

TamThompson
April 24, 2007, 01:27 PM
His hand is awfully close to the barrel of her rifle...from the angle shown, at least. Looks like he could just knock it away from him before she could process the decision to shoot him.

bogie
April 24, 2007, 02:22 PM
Barbara/Oleg/Booner... Right now what we have is a "nice to have" photo that is basically "preaching to the choir."

Technosavant
April 24, 2007, 02:44 PM
Call 911 or shoot... call 911 or shoot... call 911 or shoot...

Dang, which is it?

Anybody got a hint? :banghead: :banghead:

:neener: :neener: :neener: :neener: :D

Lashlarue
April 24, 2007, 03:08 PM
Dang, I got an invitation to the dead bad guys funeral in the mail yesterday. Closed casket!

DRZinn
April 24, 2007, 03:25 PM
Booner:

"Show me your war face!"
"AAARGH!"
"Ya don't scare me, work on it."

BOONER
April 24, 2007, 04:04 PM
I tried, but she stuck her tounge out at me....................like this :neener:

hso
April 24, 2007, 04:41 PM
The crazy face of the attacker is too cartoonish.

LkWinnipesaukee
April 24, 2007, 04:50 PM
The expression on his face is far too unreal, as well as his clothing (bad guys usually dont dress that well). Also, you might want to make him much darker, so he looks more like a bad guy (and his hand is washed out). Oh, and the watch is a bit distracting.

Juna
April 24, 2007, 04:51 PM
Can we post the pic in here? I'm being blocked by a filter.

BOONER
April 24, 2007, 05:03 PM
So how do bad guys dress......

local guy here chooped up his wife in a machine shop wearing a polo shirt and dockers.

hum guy i locked up for killing his GF was in a suit and tie... went back to his buisness meeting afterwards he killed her with a laptop smashing her head in.

the obivious lack of mindset and what is a precvied threat to some shows the lack of training and mindset and ablity to not get past ones thoughts of evil gobblins and how they look a case in NY years ago as related by Pat rogers had a bag man in bank robbery dreesed as a Nun.....

so what does a bad man look like.........

DRZinn
April 24, 2007, 07:16 PM
you might want to make him much darker, so he looks more like a bad guy

:scrutiny:

Oleg Volk
April 24, 2007, 07:19 PM
I made him more blue, does that count?

BOONER
April 24, 2007, 07:55 PM
kind of smurffy

GaryL
April 24, 2007, 09:53 PM
IMHO, have the bad guy pull a pair of pantyhose over his head (that'll make anyone look like a thug), wearing a dark t-shirt, and give him a dirty old kitchen knife. Then make skillful use of spots to indicate an after dark encounter.

Apologies to anyone who already suggested this, my boy wants to play catch and I didn't have time to read more than the first page.

SoCalShooter
April 24, 2007, 10:06 PM
Another nice one Oleg. Keep up the good work.

glockman19
April 24, 2007, 10:09 PM
How about call 911 or shoot 1911 with a picture of someone holding a .45 1911?

LkWinnipesaukee
April 24, 2007, 10:11 PM
Painting of the Boston Massacre:

http://people.bu.edu/wwildman/ben/mass/images/boston_massacre1.gif

Note that the colonist side is much darker; it makes them look like the "bad people," and the "good guys" (as the artist wanted to portray the Brits as) are much lighter.

What does a thug wear? I don't know. I picture one wearing something like a black sweatshirt, hood pulled up so the face is partially blacked out, giving him sort of a mysterious look.

I realize not all thugs would wear something like this, but that kind of attire says to me that this guy could be up to no good.

Did I mention the watch is distracting?

Other than that and the facial expression, I think it is a really powerful image. Kudos.

nemoaz
April 24, 2007, 10:16 PM
I too think a pistol would be more effective right now since they are currently under attack after the Ismael Ax murders, but I would suggest something black and high capacity (like sticking out of the mag well) since that is the current target of the gungrabber crowd.

Barbara
April 24, 2007, 11:00 PM
I think some of you live in a fantasy world where predators don't look like the rest of us. You're wrong. A rapist is as likely to wear a polo as a dirty t-shirt.

GaryL
April 24, 2007, 11:39 PM
I think some of you live in a fantasy world where predators don't look like the rest of us. You're wrong. A rapist is as likely to wear a polo as a dirty t-shirt.You make a good point. For me the picture doesn't work though. Since most rapists are known to their victims, it's unlikely the victim is going to be able to bring have an AR trained on her attacker quickly enough. I could see it happening if the attacker is breaking into the place and there's enough warning, but that requires a different background. Put that scene into a modest (but clean) bedroom, with the attacker breaking through the door, and I think it could work. If it's too unbelievable, will people believe any part of it?

sm
April 24, 2007, 11:40 PM
I think some of you live in a fantasy world where predators don't look like the rest of us. You're wrong.

Barbara is correct!

One can simply run down to the Thrift type store and get shirts, pants that are, or resemble close enough Fed-Ex, UPS, USPS.
Snag a clipboard, have a package, ring door bell to that intended female victim and force themselves inside.

-
Ditto a Utility worker, gas is a good one, "I would be happy to come inside and re-light your pilot lights..."
How hard is it to replicate what these folks wear?
-

I was asked to test to see if I could breech security at a business.
All approved by owner, and LEO buddy aware.

I went to a thrift store, got a shirt, , a ball cap, made a badge , and walked right into a side door. Once in, just walked over to peg board with keys to vehicles and stole a van with $200k worth of special equipment.
I drove down the rode and called the Owner from a fast food joint.

Surveillance cameras I avoided best I could, I looked exactly like everyone else.

I also returned the checkbook I stole from the young part time college girl, it was on a desk...I had her address, phone number and even her DL from that checkbook on the desk.

I was asked to test, I did, and I got more than I bargained for in less than 5 minutes from the time I showed up on property and left.

I do not believe in uniforms, and badges personally. IMO - just a band-aid fix, and something to give false security to folks.

I have other experiences seeing the victims of crimes as well. Jury duty , working in a Main OR...

I myself.
In a work I am very familiar with, the drop dead gorgeous lady in the elevator, top cut low, slit on side of dress up the hips, pulled on a gun on me.
Professional Thug and her role was to distract me, detain me so the guys on the floor where she needed to get off, could kidnap me.

Elevators are vertical coffins. In these 'coffins" hitting a lady with gun and going rodeo is acceptable.
She was "dressed to the nines" ,wearing diamond earrings, necklace, and perfume. Expensive name dress...

Life is Life, and TV and Movies do not always give accurate depictions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shoot or call 911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!