Your .50 BMG kills (Non-human)

PDA

TheDisturbed1
April 24, 2007, 04:44 AM
All this talk (from antis) about how a semi-auto sniper rifle of such magnitude (referring to Barrett) is pointless for hunting. I'm sure some of you have set out to prove that wrong :D

If I could, I would. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Your .50 BMG kills (Non-human)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tanksoldier
April 24, 2007, 05:19 AM
Even if a .50 BMG rifle is overkill for hunting, there's nothing in the Constitution which specifies the posession of firearms which are only used for hunting... so my response when presented with this argument would be: "Even if so, so what?"

theken206
April 24, 2007, 05:28 AM
indeed. We dont live in Soviet Russia where someone tells us how many cartons of milk, or how many loafs of bread, or liters of petrol we "NEED".

TheDisturbed1
April 24, 2007, 05:33 AM
ok, what I was trying to get accross was: What have you killed with a .50? Ammo used? Was eatable? Did the bullet do its deed and mince the meat then, present it on a platter 50 feet from impact? :D :p

No argument needed... just inspiration for those on the verge, and proof of usage to hunt... :D Simple, yeh?

wayne in boca
April 24, 2007, 05:42 AM
I don't use mine for hunting.I buy up cheap surplus 747s,fit them up with remote controls,and practice shooting them down at 50,000 feet.Sorta like skeet.But more expensive.:)

TheDisturbed1
April 24, 2007, 06:02 AM
I don't use mine for hunting.I buy up cheap surplus 747s,fit them up with remote controls,and practice shooting them down at 50,000 feet.Sorta like skeet.But more expensive. :)

I bet all that expense goes into the 50,000 foot capable remote :D

Mumbles_45
April 24, 2007, 09:31 AM
I saw an article on hunting with a .50 BMG in a magazine in the optomatrist's (sp?) waiting room a couple months ago. I don't remember what month, or what magazine, other than it was a hunting/fishing/outdoors magazine.

strat81
April 24, 2007, 11:04 AM
I hunt tyrannosaurs with a .50 BMG. Grrrr!

kfranz
April 24, 2007, 11:21 AM
I saw an article on hunting with a .50 BMG in a magazine in the optomatrist's (sp?) waiting room a couple months ago. I don't remember what month, or what magazine, other than it was a hunting/fishing/outdoors magazine.

I saw the same thing.

doubleg
April 24, 2007, 11:23 AM
http://ohia.org/ohia/roadshows/ocean/mammals/breachside.jpg

Ya just gotta wait for em to jump out of the water then BOOOOOM, all the whale jerkey you can eat. :neener:

50 Shooter
April 24, 2007, 11:40 AM
Here's the article that you're probably thinking about, it was in Field & Stream.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/hunting/photogallery/article/0,13355,1575411,00.html

John & Wendy are two of the biggest advocates of long range hunting with the .50 BMG. It's actually a good article, give it a read.

Firehand
April 24, 2007, 01:53 PM
Not personal experience, one of the DI's in my son's battery in Basic had used one for vermin control in Iraq, including camels. From what he said, it did leave a mess behind.:barf:

NeoSpud
April 24, 2007, 02:44 PM
I don't hunt at all... the only things I've killed with my guns are paper and the occasional unlucky sapling. :D

I really can't see any use for the .50 BMG regarding hunting, except perhaps BIIIG game (elephants?). I do own a .50 muzzle loader, but thats not the same thing ;)

As other have said, the 2nd Amendment isn't about hunting (game at least)

kellyj00
April 24, 2007, 03:06 PM
How about .22 Short? Hunt with those much?
Right to kill your own animals for food isn't in the Bill of Rights, Right to keep and bear arms is.

innerpiece
April 24, 2007, 05:03 PM
I could imagine the .50 would have specific uses for hunting:
Long range, thick hide, BIG game, or Dangerous game.

there are certainly applications for it. I just dont think they are as common as something a .308 or .300 mag would be.

ip.

Blakenzy
April 24, 2007, 05:15 PM
Perhaps elephant hunting...

BTW I saw "Miami Vice", the movie, the other day. I wonder if their depiction of impacts on fleshy targets with a .50 BMG is accurate :eek:

WinchesterAA
April 24, 2007, 05:24 PM
My uncle bought an AR-50 a couple of years ago. Only shot it 25 times and sold it less than a week after he bought it, but I got to shoot 5 of those 25, and one took down a coyote at 975yds.

Coyote was standing broadside sniffing a tree (or that's what it looked like anyway)

didn't hesitate, and my uncle said it was sighted in for 1000yds so it should hit POA.

It did, and the coyote had no idea what just happened. Seemed to be a pretty violent impact, I hit him right in the upper chest area, perfect shot for the first time firing that rifle (kinda like when I started deer hunting, wasn't sure where my gun was gunna hit cuz the scope I have is notorious for losing zero for no apparent reason, I'd just aim COM and hope for the best)

anywho, destroyed the heart/lung area, and the coyote obviously slid a little bit after being hit cuz the dirt was all rustled up for about a foot.

seeker_two
April 24, 2007, 05:29 PM
I suppose you could use the .50BMG cartridge on small hogs and varmints....

...if you use a really pointed bullet and get a good grip on the case (wrapping it in grip tape might help...) :D

Deer Hunter
April 24, 2007, 06:34 PM
I don't see why people think that this round would be so much deadlier than a regular .308 softpoint. The only loads that most hunters would be using if they used a .50 BMG on say a deer is mostly likely FMJ. In that case, you've got a slightly-larger caliber projectil going roughly the speed of your average .308. I don't see the "disentegration" factor coming into play. Using a high-velocity .30 mag of some sort would do much more to a deer's innards than your standard .50 BMG.

WoofersInc
April 24, 2007, 07:17 PM
It comes down to impact energy. A 50BMG round leaves the barrel at 12,000FT/LB of energy. It still has close to 7,500 FT/LB of energy at 1,000 yards. The 50 has more energy at a 1,000 yards than most hunting rounds have at the muzzle. For you handgun hunters the 500 S&W has a muzzle energy in the range of 2400 FT/LB. Big difference in impact energy being transmitted to whatever game you are taking.
http://www.extremefirearms.com/pages/ballistics.html

50 Shooter
April 24, 2007, 07:20 PM
There are hunting rounds made for the .50 as seen here http://www.lehighbullets.com/products.asp?cat=10

AMAX would also be another good choice, Hawk Bullets, TTI Armory and HSM all put out bullets for hunting with.

Crunker1337
April 24, 2007, 07:25 PM
I once had a dream in which I was hunting mice with a .50.

Deer Hunter
April 24, 2007, 08:37 PM
It comes down to impact energy. A 50BMG round leaves the barrel at 12,000FT/LB of energy. It still has close to 7,500 FT/LB of energy at 1,000 yards. The 50 has more energy at a 1,000 yards than most hunting rounds have at the muzzle. How much of that energy is actually transferred to the target? That heavy bullet is going to go right through the animal without much velocity loss.

The Deer Hunter
April 24, 2007, 08:44 PM
Guess not .50 BMG

The bullet can not be used in the .50 BMG as they will expand at velocities greater than 1,800 fps.

Lucky
April 24, 2007, 09:16 PM
What's the name of that .50 manufacturer who makes the light-weight .50BMG rifes? They've got all sorts of pictures on their site of the game people brought in with them.

Seems incredibly silly to expect them not to 'work' for hunting.

P.S. read the article, and it's grea! 4. You must be able to do math in your head as you aim the rifle.
An example: You are shooting at an elk that your range*finder tells you is 760 yards away. You estimate that the wind is 10 mph where you are and 20 mph out where he is. Your rifle is zeroed dead on at either 100 or 200 yards. And your scope has mil dots instead of dial-in scope knobs. Get the picture?

That **** gets a lot easier using metric. Where I am we use feet and inches and pounds for general things, but when it comes time for math there is nothing like metric.

Brass Fetcher
April 24, 2007, 09:21 PM
I've killed a gelatin block with one : http://www.brassfetcher.com/hornadyamax.html
:D

Well, in all fairness, it wasn't me who pulled the trigger, but I provided the gelatin! Based on what I saw there, I think it would make a dandy hunting bullet - at very long ranges. Up close, you will have maximized your meat destruction (from ~ 7" depth to maybe 30" with a Hornady A-max)... not something that I think a lot of hunters are looking to do. If the round can be put on the 'numbers', I think it would be a great gun for mountains/tundra,etc. The velocity loss will allow the round to 'cool off' and turn down the heat on the target when it hits.

TargetTerror
April 24, 2007, 09:22 PM
How about .22 Short? Hunt with those much?
Right to kill your own animals for food isn't in the Bill of Rights, Right to keep and bear arms is.
kelly00, that is one of the best arguments/examples I have seen regarding the hunting/sport debate.

average_shooter
April 24, 2007, 09:26 PM
Deer Hunter--

From the first of the two bullets choices:

This bullet is an excellent choice for those hunting with all .510 cartridges including the .50 BMG.

You're looking at the second choice, designed to expand at subsonic velocities.

Exposure
April 24, 2007, 10:02 PM
I don't use mine to hunt.

But next time there is a full moon go out and take a peek, see all those craters? Yup, I did that with my Barrett. It really is THAT powerful. At the last MG shoot I went to they had four cars in the pit. The very first shot from my Fifty missed everything, but just the shockwave of the round passing by the cars caused two of them to break down to sub-atomic levels. They sent me home and took away my membership. My latest endeavour has been shooting chunks of coal with the mighty .50, guess what those chunks of coal turn into from the unbelievable power? Oh yeah baby, diamonds, and with the money I make selling those diamonds, I scarf up every evil round of .50 BMG I can get my hands on.

:p

dakotasin
April 25, 2007, 02:40 AM
the 50 bmg is the ultimate prairie dog rifle. 1000 yard hits on tiny critters is almost easy w/ a 50 bmg.

i doubt the gun would be worth much for elephants (or any big game hunting, really), etc - just not all that portable of a rifle. however, never having been to africa to hunt (and having zero desire to go there) i do not know how suitable it would be for game there.

Wes Janson
April 25, 2007, 02:44 AM
www.anzioironworks.com

I'm curious about hunting wild hogs with a .50, myself.

WoofersInc
April 25, 2007, 03:26 AM
Probably the biggest thing keeping the 50 out of the fields is the guns that it is chambered in. It is not something that I would want to carry any distance. Mine weighs 42 lbs loaded with scope and bipod. And people complain about 10lb hunting rifles being to heavy. If it was some type of static shooting such as a stand it would be one thing, but to try to carry it and track game would be something else. Also is the consideration that almost none of them are designed to be shot offhand. Almost all of them are made to be shot prone or from a bench. Not helpful for a quick shot at a moving target.

If you enjoyed reading about "Your .50 BMG kills (Non-human)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!