talk us out of a .223 Handi-Rifle, or two

PDA

carterbeauford
April 24, 2007, 12:19 PM
Dad needs a varmint rifle... he originally wanted a .22-250, but I talked him into .223 due to ammo cost and my future reloading plans (I want an AR eventually) ...any reason not to get one for around $200? I was thinking of picking one up for myself if my dealer will make us a deal. I understand they're rather accurate. Specifically considering the synthetic stock and 22" barrel:

http://hr1871.com/Images/photo_Synthetic_23rem.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "talk us out of a .223 Handi-Rifle, or two" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jem375
April 24, 2007, 12:23 PM
Most reports I have read about gives the Handi-rifle a pretty good review.

chad1043
April 24, 2007, 12:31 PM
I would look at the Ultra varmit in .223 if I were you.. a little better barrel and stock..

Chad

MD_Willington
April 24, 2007, 01:09 PM
Sorry can't talk you out of it, considered getting one for the wife and kids... The wife likes it, and the flat top AR's...

Champagne wishes on a Bud Light budget... LOL

hoghunting
April 24, 2007, 01:36 PM
I'll be the first to admit that I thought the Handi-Rifle was just another cheap rifle. I never handled one, just saw pictures.

Then at the range a couple of guys were shooting their Handi-rifles while I was a few benches down from them. I was amazed that their groups were .5" - .75" @ 100 yds - both were using 223s. I've seen rifle costing 3 times as much not shoot that well. That changed my opinion of the Handi-rifle.

kir_kenix
April 24, 2007, 02:23 PM
i like the handi-rifles, they are inexpensive and fun to shoot. i have one in .223 and enjoy it. i just ordered an ultra varmint fluted in 22-250 and also want to send it into H&R and have a .204 barrel put on it as well.

Fred Fuller
April 24, 2007, 06:58 PM
Sorry, not gonna happen. I have an Ultra in .223 with a Weaver 6X scope, it's an awesome shooter. I dare say you'll love 'em.

lpl/nc

Dr.Rob
April 24, 2007, 07:15 PM
I had light hammer strikes with one but it was easily remedied.

I'd agree, get the varminter. These are suprisingly accruate and fun rifles.

My dad has 3 of them. I got my best groups shooting a .223 version with Federal premium 55 gr Nosler ballistic tips.

Limeyfellow
April 24, 2007, 07:20 PM
How are we supposed to talk you out of it? Say your family will get cancer and die horribly if you dared touch it? They are just too nice a rifle.

aubie515
April 24, 2007, 08:27 PM
I had an ultra in 223 and it shot very well. The nice thing about the NEF/H&R are you can send in your receiver and add other calibers. A very good inexpensive rifle that you can rely on.

ReadyontheRight
April 24, 2007, 10:37 PM
I just can't talk you out of one. It's a great little rifle. Plop a Tasco Varmint scope on top (unless of course you have $$ for a nicer scope) and you are good to go.

.223 is a much more cost-effective choice.

If you enjoyed reading about "talk us out of a .223 Handi-Rifle, or two" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!