Interesting illustration of daily gun deaths

PDA

TargetTerror
April 24, 2007, 09:16 PM
I saw this illustration (http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2007/04/21/weekinreview/20070422_MARSH_GRAPHIC.html) in the NY Times. Most of the categories seem to be what I was expected, but I was blown away by the size of the Suicides in the 40 and over crowd :what:

If you enjoyed reading about "Interesting illustration of daily gun deaths" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
robert garner
April 24, 2007, 10:32 PM
I wouldn't trust CDC's #'s
robert

browningguy
April 24, 2007, 11:15 PM
The total numbers are probably close in my opinion, but not so sure about the breakdowns. It would be interesting to see them compare those side by side to how many people were killed by evil assault vehicles, like cars, suv's, minivans and motorcycles.

Car Knocker
April 24, 2007, 11:33 PM
It appears that if I were to shoot and kill someone who was attacking me, it would be listed as a murder, since there is no "legal non-police action" category listed, such as the "legal police action" category. Perhaps, in the view of the Times, only police shootings can be justified and "legal".

SoCalShooter
April 24, 2007, 11:35 PM
Where can I get pink bullets. :)

However coming out of New York I would not really trust its accuracy of info.

kungfuhippie
April 24, 2007, 11:38 PM
Don't forget in N.Y. you can't legally carry-so only homeinvasion shootings would be "legal" selfdefense, the rest are murder:barf:

If they did one for assault vehicles do you think they'd have cute little multicolored hubcaps?

Standing Wolf
April 24, 2007, 11:40 PM
The New York Times is to fact as the AIDS virus is to health.

Two Cold Soakers
April 25, 2007, 01:25 AM
Why the heck does the New York Times want to take away my preferred method of suicide?

By the way, I'd use JHP, not ball.

Soakers, really feeling quite optimistic tonight, with no thoughts of ending it all

Librarian
April 25, 2007, 01:26 AM
I wouldn't trust CDC's #'s
robertWhy?

Their interpretations are sometimes odd, but what better numbers are you aware of?

Chrontius
April 25, 2007, 01:42 AM
Credit where credit is due: It was a rather stylish way to illustrate a point, even if their breakdown was screwed up and they didn't provide the unmolested numbers to back up the scary pictures.

DoubleTapDrew
April 25, 2007, 01:53 AM
It appears they equate homicide with murder. What about justifiable homicides (self defense shootings)? Looks like they are counted as murder by that chart.

pbhome71
April 25, 2007, 02:04 AM
The data is available on www.cdc.gov. It is open for everyone to use.

http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/leadcaus10.html

For my age group, I am more prone to get hit by a car than get shot.

-Pat

If you enjoyed reading about "Interesting illustration of daily gun deaths" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!