all surplus ammo corrosive?

PDA

billsnogo
April 24, 2007, 10:08 PM
With the dirt cheap price on some M44 mosins, I am thinking about getting one, but I am not wild about the idea of corrosive ammuntion, that and steel cased ammo is not allowed at an indoor range I use.

But this ammo is brass cased, but is it corrosive?
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Bulgarian_7.62x54R_Heavy_Ball_183grn.html

It is cheaper to buy than 9mm right now, and sure would be fun to give it a try :D

also, are these reloadable?

thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "all surplus ammo corrosive?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
davera
April 24, 2007, 10:14 PM
I pretty much assume that any surplus - especially if I cannot read the label is corrosive. There isn't anything wrong with corrosive surplus, it does not melt your barrel minutes after your are done shooting (how did they ever get by on the Russian front? both sides!). It is not that hard to clean up behind.

ZeSpectre
April 24, 2007, 10:16 PM
Not all of it is corrosive but you are better off assuming it is and just cleaning it up correctly and immediately.

tinygnat219
April 24, 2007, 10:20 PM
1950s Commie surplus ammo? Yeah, it's safe to assume that's corrosive. However, it's also meant to be shot out of Commie guns, so you should be fine.

Mr White
April 24, 2007, 10:41 PM
Pretty much all surplus 7.62x54R is corrosive. Just clean your gun within a day after shooting it and the ammo isn't isn't a problem.

If you enjoyed reading about "all surplus ammo corrosive?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!