Removing live primers

PDA

bigcim
April 25, 2007, 02:10 AM
I accidentally put a primmer in upside down is it possible to remove it safely

If you enjoyed reading about "Removing live primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Idano
April 25, 2007, 02:44 AM
Yea I have done it to just decap it as normal.

ReloaderFred
April 25, 2007, 03:12 AM
Just push the primer out slowly, and there won't be a problem. If you really want to be safe, wrap a heavy towel around the press while you do it, but it's not really necessary.

Hope this helps.

Fred

tbtrout
April 25, 2007, 08:00 AM
happens more times than I would care to admit. Deprime it as normal using slow steady preasure.

The Bushmaster
April 25, 2007, 10:34 AM
Ditto on the above. I did it last night in fact. Only mine was CRUSHED in sideways. Got curious...Chambered it in my revolver and pulled the trigger...POP!! Tough little devils...Now I have a sideways flattened fired primer with a firing pin mark in its side...

Just remove it using your resizing/decapping die...

bigcim
April 25, 2007, 10:41 AM
thanks fellas

SASS#23149
April 25, 2007, 11:19 AM
I do it but I do wrap it in a heavy towel,'just in case'.

SamTuckerMTNMAN
April 25, 2007, 11:31 AM
I am relatively new to loading and have had to do it, also worried they wouldnt work anymore....backed them out as usual, but more slowly, reloaded, fired just fine. Goggles at least would be worthwhile I'd say. Make sure there's no powder open or around!

I knew of a guy once in blackpowder shooting that had a spark land in his powder horn.

Not a good thing.
ST

Kimber1911_06238
April 25, 2007, 11:33 AM
wearing eye protection and earmuffs might not be a bad idea in case it goes off....if you use slow, steady pressure it shouldn't though

WolfMansDad
April 25, 2007, 01:30 PM
I've set off primers while using my lee classic loader. (Primers are installed with a hammer.) They are loud little suckers, but other than that it's no big deal. However, I do always wear eye protection when working with primers or powder.

Gnarkill
April 25, 2007, 02:06 PM
Setting off a primer inside might make you deaf for a bit. Use earmuffs, I set off a large pistol primer outside w/ a hammer and it was loud as hell. My ears were ringing for half an hour.
If you don't have powder nearby and only 1 primer around depriming live primers isn't a big deal IMO. Eye protection wouldn't be a bad idea either. Just go slow and you should have no problem.

Another thing I oversaw myself. If you scrap your spent primers, make sure you take the live one seperately and pop it. If a scrap places finds a live primer w/ your scrap they will often deny everything you brought. (hence the hammer popping system)

harbinger_j
April 25, 2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the info I didn't know what to do about that either.

fatelk
April 25, 2007, 04:48 PM
Only mine was CRUSHED in sideways. Got curious...Chambered it in my revolver and pulled the trigger...POP!! Tough little devils...Now I have a sideways flattened fired primer with a firing pin mark in its side...
I had that once with a factory Wolf .223 round.

The only time I have ever had a primer go off while reloading was when I was decapping some live primers in extremely heavy crimped boxer primed 8mm Mauser stamped 8 MM 44.

I've popped out many upside down and sideways with never a problem. That doesn't mean I'm not still real carefull when I do it. I have also reseated primers deeper on live ammo (again, carefully), made mention of it on a thread, and got royally reamed by a couple different people for being so foolish and dangerous. Please no more flames on this, I've already been chewed out enough.

Starter52
April 25, 2007, 08:43 PM
bigcim, you've touched on something that everyone who reloads has done at least once.

For me, I've done it dozens of times over the years. No big deal.

FYI you might want to lose that "Hitler" quote. It's a fake. Pre-internet fraud.

Hazzard
April 25, 2007, 10:06 PM
I'd agree that you can decap as usual as long as you take it slow. Wear eye protection. of course, you were doing that when you reload anyway right? If not, you really should. You only have one set of eyes.

If you enjoyed reading about "Removing live primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!