Calling Mosin 91/30 experts

PDA

ghettofab
April 25, 2007, 09:58 AM
Hello all.
I've got a 1939 mosin that has had its bolt forced matched to the reciever via electropenciling. It's in exellent condition with a bright bore and suprisingly enough, a good trigger with just a little creep. Point is, I'd like to put a scope on it, and I was wondering if this rifle is considered "matching numbers", due to the electropenciling. If so, then I won't cut it, to preserve "value". Thanks all.

If you enjoyed reading about "Calling Mosin 91/30 experts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cortez kid
April 25, 2007, 10:30 AM
Technically an electro-penciled stencil is a forced match and not a true match. If it were me I would probably wait until I found an all matching gun, then modify the one you have. It's clear your concerned with the authenticity of your collection. Get the collector you want and the shooter you want to make.
kid

armoredman
April 25, 2007, 10:33 AM
Yes, and no. The electropenciling was done at the arsenal, when it was re arsenalled, probably in the 50s sometime. Mosins used to have all thier bolt dumped into a big pile during cleaning, and it is kinda rare to find a wartime with the same bolt number.
I would not cut it anyway, due to the fact therewill never be any more of them, and it is a historical peice by itself. It is, of course, your rifle, and you may do what you please, but I would reccomend you look at the scope mounts that replace the rear sight, and work from the rear sight base.
Enjoy!

kfranz
April 25, 2007, 10:39 AM
I'd agree with armoredman. There's no need to cut it if all you want is a scope.

MilsurpShooter
April 25, 2007, 10:51 AM
1939, hex reciever probably? I'd say go with a scout mount on the rear site. Minimal fuss (PU scopes are a little tougher to install on a Hex Reciever then a round one from what I hear)

The electropencil marks don't necessarily mean it's a part rifle, it could have been done during a re-arsenal www.7.62x54r.net has some wonderful pictures of re-arsenal markings, I'd check your rifle for those before going to do the scope method.

All said and done it's your rifle, you can do with it as you please. Some will come on here and say go ahead and do it, it's a $60 rifle... Well they're right, for now, I bet alot of people were saying the same thing back when the Springfields were for sale. Good luck with it either way.

Avenger29
April 25, 2007, 10:58 AM
Go with a scout mount and extended eye relief scope instead of the reciever mount. No drilling or tapping to fool with, and it does not ruin the value of the rifle. You can also drop it into one of the synthetic stocks to save the wood stock from damage.

Hoppy590
April 25, 2007, 12:59 PM
well all points seem to have been covered.

* electro pencil isnt a bad thing for a shooter
* Moral dilema of to drill or not to drill

heres the question. what kind of scope do you intend to put on it? due to the split bridge design you need a bent handled bolt for any traditional scope, or soviet PU/PE style. long eye relief or "scout" style you dont

if you want a soviet style ( sniper style) id go and get a "ex-Sniper" while they are still available and still some what cheap. these are rifles that were drilled for mounts and then either issued as snipers or put in storage. pre drilled holes make mounting a breaze

if you want a traditional hunter type scope. to be honest i feel youd be doing yourself a disservice by investing time and money into the rifle, bent bolt handle, drill and tap to come out of it with an inferior hunting sporting rifle than if you just bought a stevens 200. but im not here to beat a dead horse

ghettofab
April 25, 2007, 01:28 PM
Regarding the scout -type mounts:

I have to admit i'm leary of these things. One, I see the probability to lose zero easily, due to the need to center them in the rear sight base. Lots of screw adjustments to wobble loose under recoil. Anyone have problems with that?

Also, I don't want to mount a pistol scope on a rifle capable of more range than the magnification of a 2-4x scope will allow. So, my question is, how much eye relief do I need to mount a scope in the rear sight?

Thanks again everyone.

redman900
April 26, 2007, 09:24 PM
:neener: I have a m38 mosin and I have a scout scope on it and it has not come loose or lost zero. Like everyone else said gun can only go up in price. So keep all the parts from the rear sight. And first and foremost ENJOY your Rifle!!

Cosmoline
April 26, 2007, 09:37 PM
One, I see the probability to lose zero easily, due to the need to center them in the rear sight base. Lots of screw adjustments to wobble loose under recoil. Anyone have problems with that?

With inferior scope mounts, yes. Darrell's are the ones to get. Do a search on him and you'll find a bunch of threads.

http://p102.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm85

Gustav
April 26, 2007, 10:10 PM
Many of the Finns were rebuilt or arsenall repaired at one point or another so mismatched can be quite normal and elecro penciling is not uncommon. Compared to the total number of Russian Mosin Nagants made the Finns are a small percentage of the Mosins out there.
Few Mosins remain in Finland today as the majority have been sold here already so prices will go up especially if kept as original as possible.
The M39 was adopted by Finland after extensive testing and suggestions from both the Civil Guard and the Army providing both with one common rifle.
They had to meet high standards before being accepted into service many consider the M-39 and 28/30 the most accurate and best of the Mosins
they were the last of the type developed other than the type 59 carbines which basically are cut downs.
Back when the M-27s m-28s and 28-30s were imported IIRC 1986 or so they were inexpensive under $100 now they can bring four to eight times that amount depending on condition markings and rarity.
Russia produced millions of different Mosin Nagants
Finlands production total is in the 6 figure range IIRC total counting all models.
If you simply must scope it consider a repro PE or PEM scope and see through mount they are a copy of the old Zeiss (IIRC) scope, make a repro M-39 SOV

Cosmoline
April 27, 2007, 12:22 AM
Actually, I think he has a 91/30 made in 1939.

If you enjoyed reading about "Calling Mosin 91/30 experts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!