A couple of questions from a new guy

PDA

Tully M. Pick
April 25, 2007, 06:04 PM
With all the crazyness in the news lately, I'd like to buy a gun for defending myself. I'm very new to firearms, never having owned one or having handled one much in the past. I have a few questions I'd like answered, if at all possible.

Which is a better bullet for self-defense: 9mm or 45? As I understand it, the 9mm goes faster and you can carry more bullets, but the 45 has a bigger bullet. Should I get a Glock or a 1911 pistol? Semi-auto or revolver? Which do you think is better and why? How many clips should I buy if I get an automatic pistol?

A buddy of mine uses a 22 to hunt coyotes from time to time. He also said he hunted deer with it. If you can shoot a deer with it, shouldn't you be able to use it for defending yourself?

A guy at the gun store said I should think about buying a shotgun for home defense, and recommended using birdshot ammunition. Someone else thought deershot would be better, but said I had to be worried about shooting through the walls of my house if I used it. Which is better to use? Can bullets really go through my walls and into the neighbor's house? Do they have weaker bullets that don't do this?

One of the salesmen at my work thought I should buy an M-16, and one of the guys out on the shop floor thought that an AK-47 would be good to have.
Which one would be better to get? The salesman said the M-16 was more accurate than the AK-47, but that the AK-47 was more powerful. They both might be too much for my first gun, so is there anything else I should look at?

Thanks,

tmpick

If you enjoyed reading about "A couple of questions from a new guy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Outlaws
April 25, 2007, 06:07 PM
Do I smell a troll?

exar
April 25, 2007, 06:11 PM
Welcome! Are you planning on carrying it? Home defense only? Honestly, it's hard to beat a good 12ga loaded with some 2 3/4 or 3" 00 buck for home defense. There is no one "do all" gun out there. A 9mm would be just as good at stopping someone as a .45. After all, it's shot placement that counts. The best thing you could do is to go and try out or rent different guns and see if you like how they feel. If the pistol isn't comfortable, you won't be shooting at your best. If the weapon feels comfortable to YOU, and YOU can hit with it, then that's the gun you want.

Horsesense
April 25, 2007, 06:11 PM
Find a shooting range, where you can rent guns and find the gun you can shoot the best.

Yes you could penetrate walls with Buck Shot, you have to decide if its right for your situation. .223 is less likely to "over penetrate"

ripcurlksm
April 25, 2007, 06:12 PM
Start with a handgun, 9mm or 45 will do you fine. Shoot both at your local gun range and decide for yourself. i like 1911's in .45

Shotguns are good. Bird shot is for birds and clay pigeons only in my opinion. For home defence I would go with 00 buckshot, not bird shot.

DoubleTapDrew
April 25, 2007, 06:20 PM
9mm or 45?
Whichever you shoot better with. Hits count more than bullet size.

Should I get a Glock or a 1911 pistol? Semi-auto or revolver? Which do you think is better and why? How many clips should I buy if I get an automatic pistol?

Again, it's your preferance. Both are semi-auto. In general a glock may be a little more user-friendly than a 1911 for a new shooter but everyone is different. I like autos for carry unless you are pocket carrying in a jacket pocket. Get as many magazines as you want. I'd carry at least one spare.

A buddy of mine uses a 22 to hunt coyotes from time to time. He also said he hunted deer with it. If you can shoot a deer with it, shouldn't you be able to use it for defending yourself?

Are you sure it wasn't .223? That's an awfully small caliber for those animals. It'll do the job if you make a perfect hit though.
Most people are planning on eating the deer and not someone trying to kill you. Also many deer aren't addicted to meth and won't have killing you as the only thing on their mind.

A guy at the gun store said I should think about buying a shotgun for home defense, and recommended using birdshot ammunition. Someone else thought deershot would be better, but said I had to be worried about shooting through the walls of my house if I used it. Which is better to use? Can bullets really go through my walls and into the neighbor's house? Do they have weaker bullets that don't do this?

Anything that will penetrate a human body deep enough to reach vital organs will penetrate drywall. You can punch through drywall with your fist. I wouldn't bet my life on birdshot. I use 00 buck. Keep in mind what's on the other side of walls.

Which one would be better to get? The salesman said the M-16 was more accurate than the AK-47, but that the AK-47 was more powerful. They both might be too much for my first gun, so is there anything else I should look at?

You can't get a real M-16 or AK without spending a small fortune, but you can get the semi auto version (AR-15) or semi auto AK. Either will do the job but for your first gun I'd get a good ol 12 or 20 gauge shotgun if it's for home defense. Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 and you will shell out $300 instead of $1000 for a good AR.

average_shooter
April 25, 2007, 06:21 PM
Wow, sounds like this one is trying to stir up every firearms controversy ever. 9mm v. .45 cal, AR v. AK, Glock v. 1911, man-oh-man... Are you sure that can of worms ain't too heavy to carry?

jlbraun
April 25, 2007, 06:22 PM
Oh, booger. There's quite a bit to clear up here.

With all the crazyness in the news lately, I'd like to buy a gun for defending myself. I'm very new to firearms, never having owned one or having handled one much in the past. I have a few questions I'd like answered, if at all possible.

Find an NRA Basic Pistol course. Take that before ever buying a gun at all.

Which is a better bullet for self-defense: 9mm or 45? As I understand it, the 9mm goes faster and you can carry more bullets, but the 45 has a bigger bullet. Should I get a Glock or a 1911 pistol? Semi-auto or revolver? Which do you think is better and why? How many clips should I buy if I get an automatic pistol?

Again, go take an NRA Basic Pistol course before any of these. No modern pistol takes "clips". Most modern pistols take magazines.

He could have been talking .223, not .22. In any case, .22LR is not adequate for defense.

Shotgun yes. Birdshot no. 00 buckshot loads, period. Yes, it will go through walls. Be aware of what is behind your target. No load adequate for defense will be stopped by a few layers of drywall.

One of the salesmen at my work thought I should buy an M-16, and one of the guys out on the shop floor thought that an AK-47 would be good to have.

An M-16 or AK-47 that you as a citizen can own will be in the range of $15,000. Your coworker would be referring to semi-auto only versions of the M16, such as the AR-15, or semi-auto only versions of the AK-47 like the SAR-1 or SSR-85.

Neither. Take an NRA Basic Pistol course first.

hso
April 25, 2007, 07:02 PM
Welcome to THR tmpick.

You'll have to tell us a few things first.

Do you intend to ultimately carry the gun day to day or do you want it for the home? Day to day carry would imply a handgun. A handgun must fit you and be selected based on that first and foremost. All the rest can be sorted out later, but if it doesn't fit you won't be able to make accurate hits with it as quickly. If you're looking for a gun for home the options expand to rifles and shotguns.

Will you be willing to get some minimal training even if it costs money as well as some time? Perhaps no more than a weekend and no more than $400 will give you a great step up in skill.

ETXhiker
April 25, 2007, 07:11 PM
Welcome to the board, tmpick. Ditto the comments on getting some training.

quatin
April 25, 2007, 07:31 PM

ppl use .22wmr for coyotes...sometimes deer. Or maybe they're full of it, but this won't be the first time I hear of ppl using .22wmr on deer sized game.

hksw
April 25, 2007, 08:09 PM
Welcome.

I'm very new to firearms, never having owned one or having handled one much in the past. I have a few questions I'd like answered, if at all possible.

IMO, I would suggest getting a .22 lr first and learn the basics of gun handling and use. Practice frequently to improve your performance. The .22 lr guns and ammo are also much cheaper. Once you become more proficient, move up to a bigger caliber.

It did not seem from the tone of your post that you are in any imminent danger.

SoCalShooter
April 25, 2007, 08:14 PM
Which is a better bullet for self-defense: 9mm or 45?

And thus starts the .45acp vs 9mm war. Well if your a good shot you don't need a really big bullet. Shot placement is very important, I suggest perhaps looking at a GLOCK or XD, revolver is not a bad idea either, simpler to use.

Sage of Seattle
April 25, 2007, 08:26 PM
Welcome to THR.

This is the first question I asked of one of my nephews who just turned 21 and wanted to start carrying: are you ready to kill someone in defense of your life? If you've already pondered this, then great. It took me a year or two of soul-searching and thought to come to the conclusions I did. If you cannot say with absolute certainty, then you're better off not carrying a pistol.

Also, I would suggest that you read up very very carefully on the gun laws and self defense laws and so on relevant to Wisconsin and then take a class. A gun class or two just doesn't give anyone enough information, in my opinion.

Ditto on the other suggestions regarding renting a few different pistols at a local range to see which one fits you best.

Finally, when you have more questions, do a search on THR and then if you can't find the answer you're looking for, ask it here. You can of course ask any gunshop guru, but personally I'd prefer the input of as many different people as possible. With only one opinion, you're kinda stuck if his/her information is erroneous.

yhtomit
April 25, 2007, 09:53 PM
It sounds like what you might need is a 12-gauge shotgun and lots of .22LR ammo with which to feed it, or (if you can find one) an East German 1911A-style pistol with an original Glibbensheise attachment.

timothy

p.s. You had me for a few paragraphs ;)

Larry Ashcraft
April 25, 2007, 11:28 PM
tmpick,

First off, welcome to THR. This community can answer just about any question you have. But please, one at a time, and in the right forums, okay? You've managed to ask several questions guaranteed to start flame wars on any other forum but THR.

Do some searching and reading first, OK?

Again, welcome.

And thanks to my fellow members for keeping this on The High Road.

Closed.

If you enjoyed reading about "A couple of questions from a new guy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!