Noobie Question...

PDA

kcmarine
April 25, 2007, 07:19 PM
What does a steel core in a bullet do?

If you enjoyed reading about "Noobie Question..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jackal
April 25, 2007, 07:26 PM
It penetrates armor.

DoubleTapDrew
April 25, 2007, 08:50 PM
Kinda-sorta armor piercing. I think most true AP bullets produced now have tungsten or DU cores?

Hoppy590
April 25, 2007, 08:53 PM
steel core is not nessisarily AP. its cheaper to use jacketed steel over straight copper, and more Enviro friendly than lead .

ConfuseUs
April 26, 2007, 07:11 AM
As far as milsurp ammo, it's meant to penetrate things like trucks better than lead core. For American shooters it means you have to play outside instead of staying inside and breathing lead fumes. :)

Oohrah
April 26, 2007, 03:31 PM
Steel Core with the tips painted black on MilSurp ammo is armor
penetrating. AP
They are confused with some ammo called magnetic that have mild
steel coated JACKETS with lead cores.
Ball ammo...full jacket, with lead cores. The ball ammo have no
tip color and appear as full metal jacket cooper/brass without
marking.:D :D :D

Plink
April 26, 2007, 04:23 PM
Well it depends. Some steel core is designed to be armor piercing and some is made that way as a cost saving measure. Remember the cheap 7.62x39 ammo that used to be available way back when? It was all steel core surplus. Steel is cheaper than lead, so the ammo was cheaper too. Unfortunately, the geniuses that run things decided it was "armor piercing" and banned further importation.

DWARREN123
April 26, 2007, 04:33 PM
Steel core is for hard targets not armor. Hard targets are vehicles, buildings and such.
Do not attempt to defeat armor with steel core, it will make them mad and you sad.

benEzra
April 26, 2007, 07:26 PM
FWIW, steel core ammunition for handgun calibers, and rifle calibers up through .308 Winchester/7.62x51mm, is tightly controlled by Federal law (basically military/law enforcement only. Steel core was most common in eastern bloc calibers (particularly 7.62x39mm), and was used mostly because steel is really cheap. I don't think steel-core 7.62x39mm would be considered AP in the military sense.

NATO M855 ball (5.56x45mm/.223 military 62-grain FMJ) is legal because the bullet is mostly lead, and because M855 penetrates less than standard M193 ball.

I know of no DU small-arms rounds (definitely not cost-effective). The military does use tungsten-core AP, though. Not only is tungsten very hard, it's way denser than lead.

MKEITH
April 26, 2007, 09:39 PM
I think I read somewhere that DU ammo isn't used any more because soldiers were breathing in the fumes from fireing the ammo. Symptoms were similar to other types of heavy meatal poisioning.

If you enjoyed reading about "Noobie Question..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!