Question about Zombies

PDA

Winter Borne
April 25, 2007, 09:08 PM
Okay, just so we're clear on this...I am new to this world of fourm type conversations and have seen the Zombie reference come up several times here on THR, HKPRO and other forums... I have "assumed" that the term Zombie references those walking dead, Post Katrina looters / Rodney King rioters / and Central Park Jogger rapests, and such. This makes sense to me, calling the walking un-dead, un-feeling, mindless, killers and lawless anti-society mobs Zombies.

I just want to be clear here that this is what we're talking about. I await your illumination. If, however, we're talking about spell induced walking dead guys...please explain.

Thanks

mk

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about Zombies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hoppy590
April 25, 2007, 09:12 PM
zombies are zombies. the reanimated corpses of infected victims.

they are the ultimate enemy. when they kill not only do they take men off of our side, but they add to thier strength. they cant be killed with body shots, making such weapons as machine guns and grenades use less. they know no fear, they need no logistics. they march on whether we are here or not.

they cant be beated in a logistics war, they cant be waited out.

Heavy Metal Hero
April 25, 2007, 09:13 PM
http://www.fileitunder.com/uploaded_images/flamethrower-754684.JPG

+

http://www.hessian.org/metal/music/iron%20maiden%20killers.jpg

=

http://www.foodcomm.org.uk/parentsjury/Happy%20meal.jpg

(Yes I had to use the Iron Maiden zombie!)

DMK
April 25, 2007, 09:14 PM
I've always taken the term zombie to mean whatever you, the reader, want it to mean. Any of those you listed would fit.

torpid
April 25, 2007, 09:15 PM
No, zombie references are jokes about fictional creatures, and are absolutely not referring to actual human beings.

TexasP226
April 25, 2007, 09:15 PM
Can you spare some change?

Change?

Chaaaaaaaange......

Rumble
April 25, 2007, 09:16 PM
No, as far as I know, we actually mean the literal walking dead. At least, when I reference them, that's what I mean. Don't know about the rest of these guys.

On the other hand, lots of times the term "goblin" is used to refer to a criminal aggressor.

jobu07
April 25, 2007, 09:18 PM
Can you spare some change?

Change?

Chaaaaaaaange......

:evil: LMAO

illspirit
April 25, 2007, 09:20 PM
I'm somewhat new, but lurked for quite a while before registering. As far as I can tell, zombies really means zombies. Then, if one can be prepared to deal with the shambling undead, one will be prepared for anything. Or, in other words, it's a metaphor for planning for the absolute worst case. I think.

Well, that, and zombie movies are fun. :D

Winter Borne
April 25, 2007, 09:28 PM
Oh, okay... already only eight or so replys and it looks as if I am way off base here. Glad I asked. I was a witness to some mass rioting in my old neighborhood in NY after Rodney King and can attest to the fact that the Zombie term fits both ways.

I am now not so sure i am Zombie ready though.

Are we talking headshots only?
Multiple headshots?
I am assuming tons of ammo here and mny guns, so as that goes, I am ready, but are there rules of engadgemnt to an all out Zombie war? So many questions...

mk

Hoppy590
April 25, 2007, 09:34 PM
head shot is the name of the game. self sufficiency is a big deal too. stock piles of ammo to get you through the initial days. a solid plan to get out of dodge.

suggested reading:
Max Brooks The zombie Survival guide
and
Max Brooks World War Z
soon to be reading
Monster Hunters International

ZeSpectre
April 25, 2007, 09:41 PM
For many years previous to finding THR I always used to use the phrase "for when the zombies come" to mean a situation where all of the social rules break down. Katrina et. al. is a prime example.

Though here on THR sometimes when talking about zombies we are referring to just that...oooooohhhhhh brrrrrrrains :)

CNYCacher
April 25, 2007, 09:55 PM
Yeah, zombies are zombies. Walking dead, undead, animated corpse, shambler, etc.

They are the biggest threat we may one day face.

They also put a quick end to any "why do you need THAT?" conversation.

Some of the names that are used to describe bad people like the OP mentioned are "Predators", "Gremlins" and "Goblins"

NickHTK
April 25, 2007, 10:00 PM
For a more in depth look at the world of Zombie survival there is a discussion forum:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/

enjoy...

whistler
April 25, 2007, 10:13 PM
yes all the above and then some:what:

cslinger
April 25, 2007, 10:15 PM
You know, those slow, shambling, moaning, groaning, brain eaters who are the bain of all us gunnies. Everybody needs a zombie gun.

In truth its just sort of a gunny running joke and yes we are talking about the undead.

Mr White
April 25, 2007, 10:22 PM
Check out this zombie video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=xJUFdEMmyPY) for some more insight into the zombie threat. :D

But really, zombies are nothing compared to the threat of robots.

Winter Borne
April 25, 2007, 10:36 PM
Cool site Nick. I have been a shooter for the last 20 odd years, I have CCW permit status in 23 states, I have lived in three different satates, own over 20guns, been shot at in two different countries and have seen a good part of the world, but I am learning so much here at THR. I had no idea about Zombies, cool zombie killer units, or mall ninjas... Boy have my eyes been shut. What else is out there?:uhoh: :scrutiny: :uhoh:

Aaryq
April 25, 2007, 10:44 PM
Mr. White is exactly right. Zombies may be nasty, but when the SkyNet Prophecies come true, that's what you have to worry about. But I gotta run. I have to go make tin foil hats for my family.

Seriously though, whenever I reference zombies, I'm talking about the re-animated human corpses that eat people. Like mentioned above, If you're prepared for when the zombies come, you'll be prepared for anything.

VA27
April 25, 2007, 10:44 PM
Liberals!!

bogie
April 25, 2007, 11:49 PM
Must read:

Zombie Survival Guide
World War Z - Chronicle of the Zombie Wars

Both by Max Brooks, son of some guy named Mel...

cslinger
April 26, 2007, 12:34 AM
Both by Max Brooks, son of some guy named Mel...

Is he really Mel's son?

Awesome books BTW.

Hoppy590
April 26, 2007, 12:46 AM
he is mel brooks son!

and some of the humor of his father seaps through!

JWarren
April 26, 2007, 12:56 AM
Whenever I have ever mentioned zombies, I mean the undead. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

As a huge fan of poorly-written, horribly acted, B-grade zombie movies filmed on someone's JVC camcorder, I feel that this is an under-appreciated threat to all of humanity.

There's no way I would ever mis-apply terminology for such a critical threat by using it to refer to looters, rioters, or situations of natural disaster and/or civil unrest.

You'll thank us when the zombies come.

hehe.

-- John

Creeping Incrementalism
April 26, 2007, 12:56 AM
I had no idea about Zombies, cool zombie killer units, or mall ninjas... Boy have my eyes been shut. What else is out there?

Well, there is Gunkid.

https://plambert.net/nph-proxy.cgi/000110A/687474702s78617669657274686s75676874732r626p6s6773706s742r636s6q2s323030362s30372s676s6s646279652q67756r6o69642r68746q6p

Radagast
April 26, 2007, 02:11 AM
Not to mention the Vorpal Bunny. This requires the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. Zombies generally need only a 12 gauge with extended magazine.

CajunBass
April 26, 2007, 03:38 AM
There is nothing more annoying than the undead walking around, losing body parts, eating brains, and running for elected office.

Someone has to stop them. Who better than us?

rangerruck
April 26, 2007, 03:56 AM
zombies; unthinking, unfeeling, following blindly, lead totally by emotion, gut reaction, first feeling. Unquestioning, seeking out only to fulfill , that which is their pleasure, that gives them nothing of hardship or pain, but seeking ease,
looking to prey upon, those who cannot arm or defend themselves, preferably.
Following only their own desires, unless controlled or acted upon, by a more central, leading entity. yeah, the UN-dead, is what i'm talking about.
That is why in Texas, there is a call that goes out, 'round midnight, an unfamiliar call to the mindless, an unknown shout, that is mistaken by the UN-dead, and any central entities, often for wild animals,or the wind, or sounds of the night, or maybe in their own minds. But it is us , honing, harmonizing, practicing our calls, being able to call out across whole towns and cities, in mere minutes, giving the messages, the Clarion call.
If you here this call, and you are not sure what it is, If you are still one of the alive and free, able to defend yourself and others, listen to the call, let it get into your mind, and you will start to feel the rythyms and the messages of the calls; It will be then you , and the other De-animators of your town, your city, your county, or State, communicating.... warning of when the Zombies come.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about Zombies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!