Snake Season is Here

PDA

T J
April 25, 2007, 10:37 PM
Well sports fans, I'm proud to announce rattle snake season is officially here in my part of the world. I got home tonight and the Wife had a young rattler hung on the fence beside the house, our first one of the season. I was slightly disappointed that she said it took her two shots to dispatch it, but she explained she was trying to minimize damage to the house and water hoses. She told me a little later that a water hose had suffered a 'minor' collatoral injury (hmm... wonder if I have any patching parts left).
This was right at the end of a short sidewalk at the back porch where we walk. As this was a young one (maybe 1 1/2 foot), I'm sure there are more from the same batch nearby (great). We have killed in the neighborhood of 10 rattlesnakes within probably 10' of the house (2 inside of it).
I have found that the shot shells I loaded up in .38 Spl work quite nicely on these stinkin' (deleted). They have less collatoral damage to the surrounding items (house, etc) than a 12 Ga. (although, given a clean shot they work extremely well, and have been used too). Much easier with shot shells than with a bullet (well, guess have to admit it has taken me two shots with a .45 to hit one on the road to the house given my above 'disappointment' with the Wife's shooting earlier, ha).
One of the snakes killed at the house was on the front steps (well all of them were WAY too close, more untold stories involved). I had walked out to the pickup, and on my way back I saw the snake on the steps. The Wife has a .357 that we shoot these shot shell out of. I called to her and told her to bring me the .357. She gave it to me, and I got an angle where I wouldn't get any ricochet off the steps to take the shot. I didn't take a super fine bead (given the shot shells) and let fire. I was very surprised that I did not hit it when I fired (and that sure did seem awfully loud too). Checked the revolver, and she had .357 Magnum HP's in it (later found a hole in a leaf of a bush, and figured I missed less than half an inch). She went and got some shot shells for me and things turned out fine (well, not for the snake). Watch your step out there folks, it's that time of year again.

If you enjoyed reading about "Snake Season is Here" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
spooney
April 25, 2007, 10:40 PM
Yeah we saw one cottonmouth this past weekend fishing, I went to shoot it with my .38 and realized I didn't have ratshot and shooting a bullet at water probably wasn't the safest thing to do. That one lived but the next one won't.

Geronimo45
April 25, 2007, 10:44 PM
Cats do a pretty good job of keeping away the slitherly element. Lizards, too.

So the .38 shotshells work? Maybe I'll get meself some in .45 auto.

T J
April 25, 2007, 10:53 PM
The dogs we now have will kill most any varmit they encounter (Coons, Possums, Cats, etc...), but they are pretty worthless at rattlesnakes. As alluded to, cats are not a good option for snake control, dogs treat the cats as a high ranking food group (sigh).

T J
April 25, 2007, 11:04 PM
Geronimo 45,
The shot shells I have I hand loaded. Bought some Speer shot projecticles IIRC and some lead shot and ran them through the reloading press. I have never tried with an auto, I question if they would cycle correctly. The ones I loaded had a pretty light powder charge, no issue with a revolver, not sure the results with an auto. I think there are factory shot shells out there, here again personally have a question how they would cycle an auto without further testing or input.

eng23ine
April 26, 2007, 12:39 AM
FYI the CCI shotshells in .45ACP will NOT cycle a S&W 4506 or a Ruger P90.

Geronimo45
April 26, 2007, 12:45 AM
Doubt that the shotshells would cycle an auto. The .22 LR models never have for me.
My concern was whether they could stop a snake... since they seem to be able to, I'm happy as a clam. Tried .22 snakeshot/ratshot on a piece of wallboard at seven yards - and results looked pretty sorry.

Avenger29
April 26, 2007, 12:52 AM
I got bit by a nonvenomous eastern "racer" on Saturday. Only snake I have seen so far this year. The rattlers stay away from our area for some reason, but we do have some copperheads. My dogs love to root snakes of all types out.

I don't harm the nonposionous varieties, but I shoot the venomous ones to keep the dogs from getting bit.

TallPine
April 26, 2007, 07:05 AM
So how did it taste?

Rickstir
April 26, 2007, 09:04 AM
My friend saw a copperhead in our creek crossing this weekend. Might have to slip down there with the 12 ga. We have too many youngster playing in that creek.

NM234
April 26, 2007, 09:15 AM
I agree with killing rattlers near your home, even though your chance of being bit is minor if you follow procautions, but kids are unlikely to follow them. One thing I don't agree with though is the hunts where they kill massive numbers of them. This puts anyone in the area in extreme danger. So long as you keep them away from where you live you are statistically more likely to die from a rodent carrying disease than a rattler.

I've worked with snakes since I was 11, and even had the opportunity to work with venomous ones on occassion (using a snake stick, etc. obviously) and own a python (a small python, called a ball python that only gets to about 4 feet long and a couple pounds but I want to buy a burmese soon, those can get up to about 12-20 feet/60-200 pounds depending on if its a male or female) and a boa constrictor(about 7 feet right now, maybe 15 pounds, a very heavy bodied snake). I've never been bitten. If you watch out for warning signs of aggression they are not likely to bite. But I agree with keeping them away from kids, but those hunts kill too many and upset the ecosystem.

paul
April 26, 2007, 09:21 AM
Caught a copperhead behind the house a coupla weeks ago...
released it across the road.
No rattlers yet this year.
P

Radjxf
April 26, 2007, 09:22 AM
Anyone dispatched a snake with those CCI .38 shotshells? I've got a box, never fired any of them. They look pretty pathetic IMO. Better than a stick I guess!

News Shooter
April 26, 2007, 09:26 AM
I lived in the SW for many years and had many encounters with rattlesnakes. In almost all of them it was no big deal to just avoid it. They are generally not aggressive critters and unless you step on one they don't usually strike.
Even when they do they don't always throw venom. I even found on in the apartment dryer one time. I just got a stick and took it out in the desert and let it go. They eat a lot of things that really would make our lives miserable.

I agree about the roundups although in my younger days I attended them.
Same thing about sharks. They are there for a reason. Leave them alone.

NM234
April 26, 2007, 09:48 AM
exactly my point newshooter, w/o the snakes there would be many many more rodents, which can carry disease into your house.

Like I said, if its a threat to your family (living on your property and you don't know how to properly handle a venomous snake hint: steve irwin did it wrong you have to use a snake stick) dispatch it. But those massive round-ups are just putting you in more danger.

Onmilo
April 26, 2007, 09:54 AM
It should be water moccasin breeding season in my neck of the woods but too chilly and wet for that to get into full swing yet.

I don't mind a few snakes around, rat snakes, black racers and the like for obvious reasons but Illinois water moccasins can be extremely aggresive during breeding season.

Water moccasins are one of the few poisonous snakes I have encountered that will charge a human being.

There are some river tributaries near here that can be dangerous places to go during the spring as these snakes have been known to drop off overhanging branches and into boats and they will swim right up to boats and attempt to get in and join the people onboard.

I have no real use for these kinds of snakes and will generally exterminate them if they get too close to my property.

I have found a .410 shotgun with 2 1/2" #6 shot to be effective for killing them with one dose.
.410s are getting very expensive now and 2 1/2" shells get harder to find every year.
I don't like the three inch "Magnum" loads because they toss the snakes around more than the 2.5s
May end up using plain old 7 1/2 shot Trap Loads this year if it ever gets warm enough for the snakes to get love on their minds.

Good luck with your quest to keep the rattlesnakes out of hearth and home.

T J
April 26, 2007, 09:55 AM
I don't advocate wiping out all snakes. I don't kill non-poisionous snakes, they help to eat the mice. But I'm not going to let a rattler go, especially when they are in the yard, on the porch, under the car port etc. I have had dogs and livestock bitten (most lived, some died), but luckily not me or the wife yet even though we walk around in the dark a lot of times. She has had one next to the front porch steps striking at her as she carried groceries into the house. Nope, can't see letting them go when they are that close to the house especially.

floridaboy
April 26, 2007, 10:19 AM
The shot loads for .45 acp made by CCI will lock a .45acp revolver up. At least they do my Ruger Blackhawk.

waterhouse
April 26, 2007, 10:20 AM
Has anyone tried those .22 shotshells on a snake?

bowfin
April 26, 2007, 10:25 AM
Has anyone tried just walking away from a snake?

Of course, any poisonous snake found near or (gasp!) in your residence needs to be dealt with in a safe and timely manner.

The rest can be ignored.

A lot of Northern Water Snakes meet their maker because they look a lot like a Water Moccasin or Cottonmouth, and have such a nasty temperament. Unfortunately, prudence demands that when it doubt, err on the side of your own safety, and study the recently deceased snake to see if one made the right call.

Onmilo
April 26, 2007, 10:29 AM
Yes I have tried .22 shotshells on snakes.
.22 shotshells will work but in my opinion you have to get so close, about 5 to 6 feet from the snake for them to be effective you may run a serious risk of being bitten if you don't kill the critter in one shot.

If by chance a poisonous snake was attached to part of my anatomy and a .22 handgun with shotshells was all I had to shoot it loose I might use them again.
Being as I have a choice, I will stick with a .410 shotgun.

I must add that I have had great fun shooting dragonflies up in Wisconsin with a .22 rifle and shotshells,( the crimped shells work more effectively than the capsule shot for this), and I have used .22 shot on flying critters that get into my house and outbuildings but for snakes I will always choose something else if I can.

spencerhut
April 26, 2007, 10:31 AM
I got really big rattlesnake the other day with my 1911. First shot missed the head. Second shot cut it almost clean in half just behind the head. I've lost at least two cats that I know of from these things and my dog a couple years back. I leave the non venomous ones alone, if it rattles it dies at my house.

waterhouse
April 26, 2007, 10:35 AM

I agree with you.

I've had to move several non venomous snakes out of my driveway so that I could leave the house without running them over.

I've also nearly peed my pants after a small rattler decided to hit the thankfully heavy leather that was covering my ankle (I was weedwacking with hearing protection on; people who say that you will hear them rattle before it is a problem have obviously never been weedwacking with hearing protection on when a nearby rattlesnake gets upset.)

In general I leave snakes alone, but if I have to deal with another rattler I'd like to know if .22 shotshells will do the trick.

Outlaw Man
April 26, 2007, 10:36 AM
Get you a Kingsnake or two. Your rattler problems will soon be over.

sansone
April 26, 2007, 10:37 AM
we have water moccasins here. very aggresive snakes. they don't travel too far from water (1-200yds) but we're close. I like to use the 20ga w/#6shot.. sometimes the snake charges right at the shooter so you can't use 22's

SniperStraz
April 26, 2007, 10:39 AM
TJ: Why don't you hunt out the ones that are already on your property and then throw some Snake-A-Way around the edges of you yard?

BTW anyone know who makes rat/snake shot in 9mm?

Onmilo
April 26, 2007, 10:39 AM
Many years ago I lived in Austin Texas, well kind of on the outskirts of south east Austin. Area was pretty rustic and rural then, I guess it is all built up now from what I hear.
Anyway, I had an orange tabby cat that would go out at night and kill mice and leave the corpses in a little line up on the back porch.
I always figured that goofy cat would get snake bit some night and not come back but he always did.
He came back to Illinois with me and passed away of old cat syndrome a few years back.
I miss that cat.

sansone
April 26, 2007, 10:44 AM
my cat kills rats, shrews, moles & snakes. my buddy wants me to shoot the cat, WHY? she lives out back, we can leave for a month and she still lives

T J
April 26, 2007, 10:47 AM
SniperStraz,
Guess I never heard of Snake-A-Way, what is it and where would one get it? As far as hunting out all the snakes, that would be a pretty tall order as I am surrounded by pasture land. I deal with the rattlers I encounter, but don't go looking for them.

High Planes Drifter
April 26, 2007, 11:03 AM

Absolutely. I never bother snakes when Im in thier territory anymore.

When I was growing up here in S. Louisiana, we were encouraged to bring King snakes home to set loose on our property. Kings are supposed to keep other snakes away. I really couldnt tell you if it worked or if it is just an old wives tale. We didnt have a whole lot of things on our property snakes like to hide in, or under in the first place. Heck we didnt even have any trees in our yard. I will say we didnt see other snakes near the house, only Kings. Like I said tho, I couldnt tell you if that was because of the Kings we "imported", or just because there was nothing there to attract other snakes in the first place. The kind of King snake most common here is colored black with yellow spots all over its body. Man, talk about an ornery, aggresive snake.

Snake Eyes
April 26, 2007, 11:13 AM
BTW anyone know who makes rat/snake shot in 9mm?

CCI makes shot-shells in most all calibers. The CCI 9mm successfully cycled my Sig 226 and the .45 cycled my Colt Compact. YMMV with a full length slide.

SniperStraz
April 26, 2007, 11:14 AM
Guess I never heard of Snake-A-Way, what is it and where would one get it? As far as hunting out all the snakes, that would be a pretty tall order as I am surrounded by pasture land. I deal with the rattlers I encounter, but don't go looking for them.
You know the old myths about lime and sulfur keeping snakes away? Well this is an alternative that is supposed to be the only anti snake formula ever proven to work. I myself have not used it and cannot vouch for its effectiveness but it seems to be reputable. Granted its the website thats selling it that says its reputable but maybe you want to look into it. http://www.pestproducts.com/snakeaway.htm On the other hand, given the situation as you've explained it, it seems like you might just be trapping the snakes in and spending a fortune trying to spread this stuff all over you land. You may be able to spread it only around your house though and that might be a little comforting.

I figure this pertains to THR either by way of hunting methods or else its just self defence against dangerous animals. (I hope the mods buy that)

GCW5
April 26, 2007, 11:15 AM
The CCI .45 ACP shot shells work in my 1911 with a 12# recoil spring. They work very well on even big timber rattlers around here.

I load my own snake loads for the .357 & .44, I like to use #12 shot as it gives a dencer pattern.

SniperStraz
April 26, 2007, 11:16 AM
Thanx Snake Eyes. Great name for this thread BTW.

the lone gunman
April 26, 2007, 12:00 PM
I have better luck with cci 22 shotshells than I do with cci shotshells in my 38 snub. Shot my 38 at a piece of cardboard and all I got was one big hole.

ball3006
April 26, 2007, 12:26 PM
I saw a rat snake last year but no copperheads or water moccasins. My neighbor killed a couple copperheads last year but he is a metal roofer and has a lot of roofing tin lying around his shop. I have been told there are mocciasins around the water hole on the southwest corner of my property but I have never seen any. There are a lot of pigs in the area and they eat snakes........chris3

Geronimo45
April 26, 2007, 12:46 PM
Water moc's are really neat to watch - from a distance. They zip through the water at a nice clip (or is it magazine?). Amazing. And scary, when they decide that you're fun to watch.

Thinking of the shotshells for fishing expeditions. Last place we were at, there was a water moccasin on steroids. Zipping to and fro. Had my 1911 with me, but it's a little difficult to hit a skinny, moving target - didn't touch off a round because of that.

Mikee Loxxer
April 26, 2007, 01:20 PM
I leave non-venomous snakes alone if found in my yard. If I find them in my basement I take them outside.

As far a rattlesnakes go (the only poisonous snake commonly encountered here in Nebraska) I will leave them alone. Unless they are a direct threat I see no reason to dispatch them as they are a necessary part or the ecosystem.

I loathe the idea of rattlesnake round ups (though I had eaten rattlesnake acquired through such means as a youngster). The rattlesnake I had eaten was fried in batter, had some very funny looking striped meat (and not very much of it) and did indeed taste like chicken.

I did shoot the head off of a very large rattler with a 180 grain loaded 30’06 from a Remington 700 while deer hunting once . Looking back it was a foolish thing to do as the snake was paying me no mind and moving away from where I was. Strange thing is that this happened in Nebraska in November (on an unseasonably warm day near a known hibernium).

kslice
April 26, 2007, 01:42 PM
I like to use the 20ga w/#6shot.. sometimes the snake charges right at the shooter so you can't use 22's

.22 shotshells will work but in my opinion you have to get so close, about 5 to 6 feet from the snake for them to be effective you may run a serious risk of being bitten if you don't kill the critter in one shot.

Are you guys seriously stating that its possible for any venomous snakes in North America are capable of "charging" a human being or a snake within 6 feet could "outrun" a human being? what the hell are you guys suggesting??? The African black mamba might be capable of this sort of thing, but only on rare occasions. I highly doubt any pit vipers (rattlesnakes, copperheads, cottenmouths) would be capable of outrunning a human being, not that any of these snakes would ever attempt to do so. If you guys just want to wholesale slaughter anything you see creeping around your land, then fine, but enough of this crap about snakes chasing down and attacking humans.

Simple Man
April 26, 2007, 01:44 PM
I too am a snake lover and have been since I was a 9 year old boy when my father bought me my first pet snake for Christmas. I can understand the need to kill certain venomous snakes because you have children near by but I don't see the need to kill them just because you are afraid of them. Snakes are actually pretty smart creatures if you ask me. You will have some that are really shy and some really like to be handled. My dad was at my house the other day and caught a rat snake and at first all it wanted to do was strike and try to bite but after about 15 minutes we could hold it all we wanted and it didn't even attempt to bite.

Water Moccasin can be very nasty animals though, about 18 years ago I was nailed on the leg by one which wasn't a pleasant experience nor was it a cheap adventure due to the cost of the antidote.

I was bitten by a hog nose snake once that made me terribly sick for about 48 hours.:barf:

I would be in heaven though if I lived in TX or AZ. I probably would spend the majority of my time trying to catch these old rattlers.

sm
April 26, 2007, 01:50 PM
Hey when you are good, you are good! :D

Old Rusty Garden Hoe, sharpened.
I installed a nice old hickory handle onto this hoe. Price : Free.

Brush around a pond and out and about with this hoe I put together.
Oh I had a single shot shotgun and CCW.
With me my lady friend , armed with single shot 28 ga and CCW, and her Black Lab .

Guy gets two water moccasins.
Guy Gets the girl [ *feign*"my hero" *sigh* :p ] and Black Lab thinks this guy is pretty cool too .

:)

TallPine
April 26, 2007, 01:53 PM
I would be in heaven though if I lived in TX or AZ. I probably would spend the majority of my time trying to catch these old rattlers.
A fellow died in my county last summer from rattlesnake bites (2) - he reportedly "wasn't afraid of them and knew how to catch them" :rolleyes:

News Shooter
April 26, 2007, 02:01 PM
There are a lot more people killed in this country by bee stings than rattlesnakes.

Simple Man
April 26, 2007, 02:11 PM
A fellow died in my county last summer from rattlesnake bites (2) - he reportedly "wasn't afraid of them and knew how to catch them"

Tallpine,

Yep, accidents happen all the time. What is your point?:rolleyes:

Knotthead
April 26, 2007, 02:11 PM
There are a lot more people killed in this country by bee stings than rattlesnakes.

And yet, I'd still rather be stung by a bee.

Geronimo45
April 26, 2007, 02:13 PM
There are a lot more people killed in this country by bee stings than rattlesnakes
Kinda irrelevant, due to where you find snakes versus bees. Bees will live almost anywhere - every once in a while you'll hear of some church that's full of thousands of bees. Snakes like the wide-open spaces. The only snakes you're likely to see in big cities are pets and politicians. Out in the country (in Texas anyhoo), you can find pets, politicians, and the real deal.

A little bit like saying that you shouldn't worry about bear attacks during a trip to Alaska, since there's so darn few of 'em on a national scale. Like all the salesman seem to say, location is key. You've got extremely slight chances of running into bears in Hawaii and Florida.

SniperStraz
April 26, 2007, 02:17 PM
kslice Welcome to THR. Thanx for clearing that up for us.
News Shooter I'm not questioning the validity of your statement, but I'd love to see a source if you've got one.

quatin
April 26, 2007, 02:20 PM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:kEmcOtBO-JEnrM:http://www.simpsonstrivia.com.ar/simpsons-photos/wallpapers/bumble-bee-man.gif

“Ay, ay, ay, no es bueno!”

RIDE
April 26, 2007, 02:24 PM
C'mon!!! Lets see some pictures of these rattlers!!! :D:D:D

News Shooter
April 26, 2007, 02:30 PM
Here's a link to a story that mentions it.

http://www.whmentors.org/saf/snakes.html

I believe it is pretty much common knowledge. Just about every hospital in america has anti-venom on hand these days and unless someone is isolated
there is no reason not to get treatment.

My point in all this is that the wholesale killing of rattlesnakes because they are some kind of a perceived danger is misplaced fear. There are plenty of ways of dealing with them which have been covered here.

However, I do understand some folks' irrational fear of snakes. I've seen it first hand

Onmilo
April 27, 2007, 08:49 AM
I have little kids and animals I dearly love.
Call me irrational but I don't care to have poisonous snakes anywhere near my property.

If you haven't witnessed the speed and aggression of an irritated, angry water moccasin leave the boo hoo for the snakes opinion to yourself.
Mamba snakes aren't the only poisonous critters that can attack with amazing speed.

This thread is about effectively and humanely dispatching potentially deadly vermin, it isn't about getting in touch with our prehistoric love for all things living.

Simple Man
April 27, 2007, 09:22 AM
I have little kids and animals I dearly love.
Call me irrational but I don't care to have poisonous snakes anywhere near my property.

If you haven't witnessed the speed and aggression of an irritated, angry water moccasin leave the boo hoo for the snakes opinion to yourself.
Mamba snakes aren't the only poisonous critters that can attack with amazing speed.

This thread is about effectively and humanely dispatching potentially deadly vermin, it isn't about getting in touch with our prehistoric love for all things living.

I think this thread is about snake season being here and how different people deal with it. You have every right to deal with these snakes however you feel is necessary and so does everyone else. Myself, I prefer to move them to a new location as apposed to dispatching them - that is my choice and I am just as entitled to it as you are to yours. Everyone has an opinion and something to say about it. If you don't like others opinion then move on to another discussion. Everyone of our opinions/thoughts matter just as much as yours or the next guy's.

bowfin
April 27, 2007, 09:28 AM
/*If you haven't witnessed the speed and aggression of an irritated, angry water moccasin leave the boo hoo for the snakes opinion to yourself.*/

...and what if we have? Can we have an opinion, same as you?

How did the snake get irritated and angry in the first place? Someone hit it with a hoe or take a potshot at it?

As I said, poisonous snakes don't belong in yards, gardens, or houses, and should be dealt with according to your own personal comfort level. My comfort level would be to kill it. However, killing one a half mile out in the woods or along the river isn't justified at all.

Would you condone me killing every deer I see because it might jump out in front of a car on the highway and kill someone? More people are killed and injured by deer than snakes in this country.

Killing every snake in sight just because one can is wrong.

RIDE
April 27, 2007, 09:33 AM
My point in all this is that the wholesale killing of rattlesnakes because they are some kind of a perceived danger is misplaced fear. There are plenty of ways of dealing with them which have been covered here.

You obviously do not have children, or pets.

What if a family dog gets bit my a Rattler... Is he going to drive himself to the hospital? Will he write a quick note stating that he needs help?

How about a small child?

There is nothing, NOTHING wrong with killing rattlers, especially on ones own property.

bowfin
April 27, 2007, 10:42 AM
You obviously do not have children, or pets.

I have both, and I still would limit my killing of poisonous snakes to those in the immediate vicinity of the house and yard. Killing every poisonous snake one seee still doesn't protect them from those one doesn't see.

If you think the only safety with poisonous snakes lies with getting rid of everyone you come across, would you agree that the only way to safety with guns would be to get rid of everyone you come across?...

...same difference.

RIDE
April 27, 2007, 10:50 AM
I have both, and I still would limit my killing of poisonous snakes to those in the immediate vicinity of the house and yard. Killing every poisonous snake onw see astill doesn't protect them from those one doesn't see.

If you think the only safety with poisonous snakes lies with getting rid of everyone you come across, would you agree that the only way to safety with guns would be to get rid of everyone you come across?...

...same difference

You sir, are silly! Guns are inanimate OBJECTS.. It is hilarious that you would compare guns to poisonous snakes. Guns do NOT have feelings, they do not have instincts. They do NOT "try" to do anything... Guns are NOT alive... Guns will NOT sneak out of the nightstand in the middle of the night and reach out and bite you while you lay asleep :D:D:D You have obviously bought into the anti-gun agenda that tries to convince people that guns are more than just objects and have "evil" intentions in and of themselves... you are wrong.

For me... I would MUCH rather protect my children and my pets in the areas we frequent, than protect the rattlers.... but you and I obviously disagree on this. You are entitled to your opinion, as am I.

Which would YOU rather stick your hand in???
http://www.maxumowners.org/Images/Misc%202004/rattlesnakes.jpg

Or

http://www.timjacobs.com/images/America_Tribute_Main/20011110%20Guns.jpg

Crow61
April 27, 2007, 11:00 AM
I have seen this argument before on other boards as well as in person. I personally do not like to be around snakes and I have dispatched a few over the years. I probably would be more considerate of them in the future than I have been in the past as long as it wasn't close to my house.

I used to fish a pond that was litterly crawling in snakes. I carried a .22 revolver with shotshells until I noticed that when shooting them on the water they would just fold up, but later on would "come to" and swim off.

I had a gunsmith cut the barrel down (legal length) on an single-shot .410 shotgun that I had. Snakes didn't "come to" after using that on them!

03Shadowbob
April 27, 2007, 11:01 AM
When we owned our dredging company, I'd kill water mocs on a daily basis with a single shot 410. I also killed a few with a Single six with .22 snake shot

dralarms
April 27, 2007, 11:02 AM
Here in TN it is illegal to "dispatch" any snake. good, bad, or ugly. Never stopped me, my wife is so afraid of snakes she made her first husband move them out of a house when they found on inside.

bowfin
April 27, 2007, 11:09 AM
Guns will NOT sneak out of the nightstand in the middle of the night and reach out and bite you while you lay asleep

So, how many rattlesnakes have ever sneaked out of your nightstand and reached out to bite you while you lay asleep? One? Six? Dozens and dozens every night? How about Copperheads or Water Moccasins?

My analogy was not that a real Diamondback resembles a Colt Diamondback, it was that thoughtless, kneejerk reactions concerning snakes resembles thoughtless, kneejerk reactions towards firearms. Both can be deadly in the worst case scenario, but that hardly justifies eradicating either from the face of the Earth.

Your fear of being bitten in your sleep unless you eradicate all snakes has illustrated this point far better than I could ever hope to on my own.

You sir, are silly!

Well if that's so, then we are certainly a pair to draw to, let's see if we can get a full house going.;)

bowfin
April 27, 2007, 11:17 AM
Which would YOU rather stick your hand in???

I don't stick my hands under steamrollers or into a pile of rattlesnakes. That makes me pretty safe when either is around. However don't you think that in the interest of absolute safety, that guy walking in the street should pick up a gun and shoot the steamroller to prevent himself from being crushed?

River Wraith
April 27, 2007, 11:19 AM
Kill them all (venomous ones). At least the ones on your property.

RIDE
April 27, 2007, 11:21 AM
You are missing the point Bowfin... NO rattlers are IN my night stand... a GUN is... the GUN will NEVER sneak out, but the Rattler surely would. Rattlers are ALIVE.. guns are not.

I have NO fear of being bitten.. I happen to enjoy snakes.. i own 4 Ball Pythons at the moment, I have owned, and been bitten by MANY snakes... I do however know that Rattlers WILL bite what ever stumbles upon them, including my children and pets... If I see them in an area (my home, our property, our farm land) that we frequent I kill them, and there is one less rattler that has the ABILITY to bite my family or pets... Once the snake is DEAD... it becomes more like your analogy of Snakes and Guns being "same difference".

RIDE
April 27, 2007, 11:24 AM
I don't stick my hands under steamrollers or into a pile of rattlesnakes. That makes me pretty safe when either is around. However don't you think that in the interest of absolute safety, that guy walking in the street should pick up a gun and shoot the steamroller to prevent himself from being crushed?

You are STILL missing the point... Let me help you...

You are ALL Alone in a room with 2 boxes... Box 1 has a live Rattler in it. Box 2 has a Glock 23 in it... Which Box would you prefer to put your hand in???

C'mon.. I know you KNOW the answer. Guns are not ALIVE, and thus have NO intension's... good nor bad... they are just objects.

Gustav
April 27, 2007, 11:55 AM
Growing up we were taught to kill any poisonous snakes we came across it may not be PC today but with pets and kids running around better safe than sorry.
Around the house .38 or better .44 snake shot loads, outside any shotgun will work.
A good .22 pistol also fills the bill if neighbors are not close.
Anything from a shovels and machetes to 2x4's have worked whatever you have handy if nothing else do it for the children.:evil:
I once had a buddy dispatch one with an M1 Garand:eek:
We were going to the range to sight our rifles in and he went to check the back door to make sure it was locked next thing I heard was a loud shot.:what:
He was standing next to his rural houses back porch looking at a very dead 5 foot rattler that was sunning himself on the patio deck the one his wife & young girls would go running out on later on that saturday morning as cartoons would be over within a few minutes.
IMHO the only good poisonous slithereen is a dead one.:cuss:

TallPine
April 27, 2007, 12:01 PM
I kill rattlesnakes. I kill mosquitos too, but maybe I should just relocate them instead ;)

bowfin
April 27, 2007, 12:02 PM
Annual Deaths in the Outdoors, U.S.A.

Drowning: 3,308
Accidental Shootings: 700
Hypothermia/Exposure: 700
West Nile (2004): 264
Deer-Automobile Collisions: 150
Lightning: 88
Poisonous Snakes: 10

So, for those of you who kill every poisonous snake you see to avoid being one of the unfortunate ten, what draconian measures would be justified to prevent the other, much more deadly incidents listed above it? For example, killing every deer on sight to save lives would be fifteen times more justified than killing every rattler, wouldn't it?

As for a rattlesnake in a box, it is FAR more likely to crawl AWAY from a human being than towards them if it gets out. Ever see a Colt Diamondback crawl away from an idiot trying to play with it, as nice as that would be?

Thanks for the great debate, RIDE. I feel that here I debate WITH people, and not AGAINST them.

Truth be told, I have uncontrollable kneejerk reactions when I am with anyone near a place where one of us could fall to their deaths. I believe that my wife and kids surely don't understand how close they are, and holler at them if they get closer than from where I could tackle them and drag them away if they suddenly went insane and started running to throw themselves off. I came close to punching my wife's nephew one time in the Rockies when he wanted the boys to go out on a rock with him on the sheer face of a slope. It's dumb, sometimes embarassing, can't explain it, and I can't seem to help it. I would be okay with the heights if they weren't there, so I just stay out of sight of them when we get to a scenic overview somewhere, since none of us could enjoy it when I am around, even though people spontaneously flinging themselves into Niagra Falls or the Grand Canyon are also a very rare occurrence.

If any of you feel this way about snakes, then I can certainly commiserate with you in trying to deal with them.

RIDE
April 27, 2007, 12:13 PM
Drowning: 3,308 <---- KNOW Swim Safety
Accidental Shootings: 700 <---- KNOW Gun Safety
Hypothermia/Exposure: 700<---- KNOW weather conditions
West Nile (2004): 264 <--- Not much you can do... EXCEPT kill ALL mosquito's
Deer-Automobile Collisions: 150 <--- KNOW vehicle Safety
Lightning: 88 <---- KNOW weather conditions
Poisonous Snakes: 10 <----- Kill any poisonous snakes

:neener: :neener: :neener:

Geronimo45
April 27, 2007, 12:15 PM
So, for those of you who kill every poisonous snake you see to avoid being one of the unfortunate ten
Mebbe the reason that number's so low is that we do kill every poison snake we see.
Besides, Indiana Jones doesn't like snakes, so why should we?

GhostCat
April 27, 2007, 12:19 PM
You have every right to deal with these snakes however you feel is necessary and so does everyone else. Myself, I prefer to move them to a new location as apposed to dispatching them - that is my choice and I am just as entitled to it as you are to yours. Everyone has an opinion and something to say about it. If you don't like others opinion then move on to another discussion. Everyone of our opinions/thoughts matter just as much as yours or the next guy's.

Very well said and I agree 100%......I'll make every effort to relocate them....Snakes play an important role in nature.

Simple Man
April 27, 2007, 12:26 PM
GhostCat,

It is a shame but some people just don't realize that every part of nature plays a role in life.

RIDE
April 27, 2007, 12:27 PM
Very well said and I agree 100%......I'll make every effort to relocate them....Snakes play an important role in nature.

You may want to rethink "relocating" a Rattlesnake.... If you just can't bring yourself to kill it (not that there is anything wrong with that:D) I would suggest just getting away from it.... Don't "relocate" it.

It is a shame but some people just don't realize that every part of nature plays a role in life.

You are 100% correct!!!! EVERY part... don't forget us humans... We ALSO play a role. You wouldn't suggest letting the Mountain Lions just eat us humans, so as to not disturb "Nature" would you?

Justin
April 27, 2007, 12:30 PM
Oh geeze.

If you enjoyed reading about "Snake Season is Here" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!