Conceal carry, why the need

PDA

Im283
April 25, 2007, 11:21 PM
to advertise on here that you just carried for the first time? I have read these types of posts time and again.

Not to be perverted but to me they read like someone declaring that they cross dressed today for the first time.

The entire purpose of conceal carry is that no one knows you have it! Why do you feel the need to post on here that you are wearing womens underwear? You wouldn't post that would you?

This is something that has drove me nuts since the first time I read one here.

Conceal carry is between God, the law, and you. No one else needs to know about it. Posting here that you carry is the equivilant of flashing your piece. Keep it to yourself.

Sorry if this was not High Road, but it really frosts me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Conceal carry, why the need" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pdowg881
April 25, 2007, 11:26 PM
Maybe it's just acknowledging that the members of this forum have helped a person acheive a certain level of comfort and responsibility in their lives. You know, showing appreciation for the help and time fellow members dedicate to educating and helping eachother with their thoughts and questions?

tank mechanic
April 25, 2007, 11:27 PM
Yeah Im283:scrutiny: , why would people talk about gun related issues on a gun forum? It almost seems too logical that that would happen.

Car Knocker
April 25, 2007, 11:29 PM
People probably do it for the same reason that other people post they have an M44 Mosin-Nagant, two .22 caliber rifles and 4 handguns.

Geister
April 25, 2007, 11:29 PM
I don't see what your big problem is, Im283. This is a gun board for discussions on firearms and how to carry firearms for self-defense.

That and your comment comparing carrying concealed to wearing women's underwear is ridiculous to put it nicely.

Nomad, 2nd
April 25, 2007, 11:37 PM
I carry a NAA in a pink thong.
:eek: :uhoh: :scrutiny: :neener:

But seriously, I agree... but if it makes them happy who am I to say anything?

Aaryq
April 25, 2007, 11:39 PM
I'm sorry Im283 but I can't resist. I was just issued my California Concealed Underwear Carry License today. I went out to my local gunstore and bought a holster for my Victoria's Secret Red semi-auto Thong and carried while at work
;)

Geister
April 25, 2007, 11:41 PM
I just don't see the need to get upset over a non-issue, Im283.

CNYCacher
April 25, 2007, 11:41 PM
Can't help but feel that this thread is directed at me.

I don't plan on telling anyone outside my immediate family (and even there, just a select few). I don't see the harm in telling some of my online "friends" who:
A. Don't know my true identity (except Oleg and a couple others)
B. Mostly carry themselves, and even if they don't, have enough sense to not make a big deal of it even if they DID know my Identity AND happened to see me out while carrying.
C. Could spot an IWB belt clip from a mile away anyway.

Maybe it's just acknowledging that the members of this forum have helped a person acheive a certain level of comfort and responsibility in their lives. You know, showing appreciation for the help and time fellow members dedicate to educating and helping eachother with their thoughts and questions?

Exactly!
And in my case there was one other consideration, and that was to stress the non-event...ness of the whole thing. Somewhere there is a CCW-curious guy out there who needs to hear things like "It was no big deal".

swingset
April 25, 2007, 11:46 PM
The sole reason I discuss carry issues is to anger and vex people who don't understand why I would do such a thing.

Sue me, it's a character flaw.

sevesteen
April 25, 2007, 11:51 PM
I conceal to avoid man with a gun calls, and so criminals don't know until it is too late. The chance of a criminal recognizing me from here is nearly nonexistent.

Geronimo45
April 25, 2007, 11:56 PM
Why do you feel the need to post on here that you are wearing womens underwear? You wouldn't post that would you?
I certainly would, if it offered a tactical advantage.

I discovered that the Wonderwoman thong, while definitely high speed low drag, didn't have the structural integrity to hold up my semi-auto Webley revolver. Went to a certain secret Tactical group that provides holsters and other gear for SpecOps, and they hand-fitted me with a special model.

This is my current CC rig, thanks to the guys at [name redacted]:

http://uashome.alaska.edu/~jndfg20/website/zardoz.gif
Also carries .300 WinMag rounds for my breakdown NEF handi-rifle.

ezypikns
April 25, 2007, 11:59 PM
but I feel like I'm among friends here. If you can't discuss it here, where can you discuss it. Outside of this forum though, I don't discuss carrying with anyone. The firearm is protection for myself and my family and I really don't think it's anyone else's business.

Soybomb
April 26, 2007, 01:06 AM
The entire purpose of conceal carry is that no one knows you have it! Why do you feel the need to post on here that you are wearing womens underwear? You wouldn't post that would you?
If I was on a forum that was dedicated to wearing women's underwear I very well share what might otherwise be considered an intimate detail. To me this is much the same here. If you don't like hearing frank discussions of the carry nature this might not be the best forum to read. I feel no need to hide my views on self defense and if me talking about it online helps others see why we carry or helps them carry I will gladly discuss it.

FireArmFan
April 26, 2007, 01:22 AM
If carrying is something that shouldn't be spoken about then we can't spread it to fencesitters and maybe even a converted anti. Carrying isn't something that we should be ashamed of and here is somewhere that everyone else understands it. just my opinion though.

Quinch
April 26, 2007, 01:26 AM
The entire purpose of conceal carry is that no one knows you have it!

The internet is mostly anonymous.

MinnMooney
April 26, 2007, 01:27 AM
Nice BOOTS, Mr. Geronimo45 (the hairy one)

I carry all the time but no one on this forum knows who I am so why does that worry or irritate some viewers? Here in Minnesota, we don't even have to conceal our pieces. Our law states that we have the right to a CARRY permit..... not a conceal/carry permit. We conceal our defensive weapons 'cause we really don't want to cause a stir in the grocery store or while picking up our kids at daycare. I've carried for three or four years now and I'm sure there are many people out there who have seen my gun when the wind blew my shirt up or while taking my coat off but no one has mentioned it to me so I think it has been (ta-dah) a non-issue.

cold dead hands
April 26, 2007, 01:30 AM
For what it is worth, my ex-wife's husband is friends with a hetero guy who likes to wear his girlfriends undies. I pack heat everyplace I can get away with. I am the "the freak" in their eyes.

At least I am the armed freak. Internet blah blah is just that. It is kinda like being God and talking to God at the same time. Please Make no offense from that statemaent.

Think positive peer assistance. If I carry, then you carry and that means he will carry, so we all carry. Hooray for our side.

America is little safer and the panty mens are protected one more time. Hahahahahahahaha.

mnrivrat
April 26, 2007, 01:34 AM
Consider yourself Frosted ! Maybe a little roasted to .

Chill ! :D

VARifleman
April 26, 2007, 01:53 AM
This is my current CC rig, thanks to the guys at [name redacted]:

http://uashome.alaska.edu/~jndfg20/website/zardoz.gif
Also carries .300 WinMag rounds for my breakdown NEF handi-rifle.
Oh why did I click that link?

Monkeyleg
April 26, 2007, 02:14 AM
Im283, you may be right that there's a little bit of boasting or something else going on with such posts.

But such posts also serve a greater purpose than the poster may realiize.

Back in 1988 and 1999, when Rich started The Firing Line Forums, there were many people who didn't even know that carry permits could be acquired in many states.

For some of us, it was a wake-up call: citizens in X number of states can get permits for self-defense, but you cannot.

That message hit home clearer and clearer as more states went shall-issue.

And it really motivated people in states like Wisconsin. Although we've lost the last two veto override votes, there's more motivation here than I can remember in the last decade to get CCW passed.

As for the type of poster you referred to: maybe that person is genuinely happy after being delayed for months; maybe that person is a show-off, as you have postulated; or maybe the person just wants to say something, even if that something isn't much.

I'll tell you this, though: for those of us who live in may-carry or no-carry states, every post from a person who just got his carry permit is a kick in the butt, and an incentive to keep up the good fight.

As for wearing women's underwear, I don't do that, as it's probably illegal, just like wearing a concealed firearm. ;)

CajunBass
April 26, 2007, 02:29 AM
Sorry if this was not High Road, but it really frosts me.

From time to time people post things we don't like. Life goes on.

WeThePeople
April 26, 2007, 08:29 AM
I find it refreshing to be able to discuss firearms issues with a few like-minded people. It is very rare, in my life anyway, to be able to do so.

Mr White
April 26, 2007, 09:36 AM
The folks here aren't the ones that I don't want to know I'm carrying. No one here knows who I am. The folks here aren't gonna walk up to me on the street and yell out "HEY, WHAT ARE YOU PACKING TODAY?"

Besides, if we talk about stuff that isn't about guns, Justin closes the thread.

SamTuckerMTNMAN
April 26, 2007, 09:45 AM
it's an affirmation, and I imagine its a feeling unlike another - like the first time you solo on a motorcycle, or when you get a drivers license period. Only now you a member of an active, adult community preserving safety and freedom for others and the country. I posted when I first made a reload batch of ammo, complete with pictures! :) :) :) I don't have a ccp yet, but when I get one, I'll probably throw a blurb up here about it to help motivate one more person whose close and thinking about it, or to let others know they';ve got some more backup out there somewhere.

*peace

st

CypherNinja
April 26, 2007, 10:12 AM

+1

I haven't been able to shut up about my application for the last two weeks. :D

hso
April 26, 2007, 10:37 AM
In most states folks have to put some effort into exercising their right in this respect. There are challenges that were put before them by the state and local government and they worked to overcome them. In TN the process is relatively easy, while in other states it's easier than here, but in many it's much more difficult. Itís not too unreasonable to want to share that sense of achievement they have by overcoming these challenges to their right to carry and this may be the place that helped motivate and guide them to this effort and is the safest place to share it since it's amongst like-minded people while still being very anonymous.

BTW, one of the toughest guys I know was hauled into the ER wearing his girlfriend's underwear. Stopped everything cold for a few moments when they cut his pants off to treat the compound fracture. ;) (multiday cave exploration injury on the last day)

Im283
April 26, 2007, 10:44 AM
Yikes, I have been put in my place fer sure!!

I will re-assess my opinion.

Good one Car Knocker, ouch

CNYC Not directed at you , just a general comment lots of people post it here.

Quinch, not anonymous, did you read the thread about someone being found out and called at their home?

Now that I have been put in my place I will go crawl under a rock somewhere.....

whited
April 26, 2007, 10:55 AM
I kind of agree with the OP. I think its often best to leave out the fact that
you might carry, and which guns/ammo you own. I don't think I'll be
advertising that stuff anymore here.

Although... if everyone did that, this board wouldn't exist in its current form.

romma
April 26, 2007, 11:24 AM
Not to be perverted but to me they read like someone declaring that they cross dressed today for the first time.
Well if this were a cross-dressing forum I might agree. Since it's a gun forum we talk about gun related matters of many manners... :scrutiny: well have you?? :scrutiny: cross carried?

Mongo the Mutterer
April 26, 2007, 11:28 AM
We discuss it here,

so we don't have to listen to the voices.....:what:

CNYCacher
April 26, 2007, 11:41 AM
Now that I have been put in my place I will go crawl under a rock somewhere.....

One of the great things about this forum is that no one here feels that you needed to be put in your place, nor do we want you under a rock. We may express different opinions, but that's all. We don't require you to change your mind. If you are exposed to many dissenting opinions and rethink your position, fine.

Don't stay under the rock too long, we like you here. :)

230RN
April 26, 2007, 01:32 PM
I'll 'fess up. I cross draw. Been doing it for years under my coat. The exquisite pleasure of being able to reach across my body to grab the gun on my off side...

Hey, wait a minute. Isn't this about cross drawing?

Oops! Sorry!

The Good
April 26, 2007, 01:35 PM
im sure there are cross dressing forums and i'm sure people post there after they do so for the first time

Leanwolf
April 26, 2007, 01:43 PM
AARYQ - "... I went out to my local gunstore and bought a holster for my Victoria's Secret Red semi-auto Thong and carried while at work ..."

Pictures, please. :)

L.W.

Zundfolge
April 26, 2007, 01:46 PM
Im283, you seem to be missing the entire purpose of online discussion forums. :scrutiny:

We're all friends here and when someone starts carrying for the first time they're excited about it ... they want to tell someone, but its not wise to walk up to people on the street and tell them "Hey, I'm packing a gun!".

This place is a safe outlet for that excitement (and a good place to ask questions from people that have been carrying for a long time).

Jacob Staff
April 26, 2007, 03:31 PM
im sure there are cross dressing forums and i'm sure people post there after they do so for the first time

If someone posted a link, would that be grounds for being ban from this site? :neener:

I try not to tell many people I carry but the web does have a level anonimity. Pretty much everyone in my shooting club knows I have a CHL.

I have talked to a few people about guns and they ask me a direct question about my CHL, I will tell them I have it. I would prefer they didn't know but I didn't want to lie to them.

JLStorm
April 26, 2007, 05:18 PM
Because carrying a concealed firearm is a big responsiblility and I dont know anyone else who ccw's so its nice to be able to relate to others who understand some of the difficulties and impositions that come along with the responsibility. If you never need to relate to anyone else and never feel "weird" because you are the only ne of your friends or family who carries a weapon then I envy you.

Eleven Mike
April 26, 2007, 05:40 PM
Geronimo 45. That picture of your boyfriend wearing the tactical bikini leiderhosen is at once the most insidious and the most wicked evil ever perpetrated upon mankind. You should die.

Edited to add: ;)

kungfuhippie
April 26, 2007, 06:09 PM
Hey guys! I just cross dressed for the first time!!! What an expirence...I don't think that anyone could tell either. I wasn't made all day. My method of concealment was covergirl

edit: well that'll teach me, never try to post to THR and CrossdressersAnonymous at the same time:neener: :neener: :neener:

All kidding aside. THR is a support group for us RKBA types to help and get help. When I get my CCW permit - I will be asking advice and sharing expirence.

This reminds me of the meteor show episode of south park-it helps people not feel strange when they know others do something too, and have had similar expirences.

rcupka
April 26, 2007, 06:20 PM
I would tend to agree with the writer that said it is like a rite of passage shared with a friend. When you first start carrying you feel like everyone notices and is looking at you. The support and encouragement received here helps get over that and quickly feels normal

Kid Prescott
April 26, 2007, 07:41 PM
you generally talk about gun-related issues on gun forums, anywhere else and you either get weird looks or have to fend off anti's...

pcosmar
April 26, 2007, 08:07 PM
I would like to see open carry become so common that nobody would notice or post about it.
No man with a gun stories or "everyone stares".
Just another Citizen, nothing to see here.

Neo-Luddite
April 26, 2007, 10:17 PM
Hey-this place keeps me off the streets and focuses my rage in the proper channels. If I went to the bar uptown I'd have to bring my kids and they'd get all the attention. Sure it's anonymous to a point, but I'm in the phone book anyway. Schmucks are not suffered here. As Hemingway would say, Oleg and Co. run "A Clean Well Lighted Place".

I have a CC permit and haven't broken in it in because I live in a crappy state.
When I have had to carry, I have been forced to become a criminal on occasion. It's a crappy risk, but I'd sooner explain myself to a judge. Fortunately, my current occupation allows me to carry lawfully so I'm covered in that respect nowadays.

When we were talking about going on vacation next July I mentioned going a few places and my wife says,--you only want to go there so you can carry!
Well, OK. I also like MO.:D

JLStorm
April 26, 2007, 10:24 PM
When we were talking about going on vacation next July I mentioned going a few places and my wife says,--you only want to go there so you can carry!
Well, OK. I also like MO.

Thats ok...I told my wife last year that I was moving back to a state that honors the right to carry...I asked her if she was coming too...luckily she said yes :)

BHPshooter
April 26, 2007, 11:47 PM
Conceal carry is between God, the law, and you.

Actually, I'd say it's simply between God and you. The law has no rightful place in that decision. Unfortunately, in this day and age, the law has forced its foot into that door, but morally the law has no bearing on CCW.

As for the "need," THR is like a support group. Who do you talk to about gun stuff in your life? (I'm the exception, I work at a gun shop.) It's a rough few days when you first start carrying. He wanted to relate his experience and get some feedback. Where's the BFD? :scrutiny:

Wes

chris in va
April 27, 2007, 03:36 AM
Hey, this'll curl your toes then.

We're allowed open carry in this state, and I do. Sometimes.

gunsmith
April 27, 2007, 05:54 AM
Nothing I ordered ever fit:neener:

on a more serious note, it is important to discuss these things so we can learn from others mistakes

koja48
April 27, 2007, 07:04 AM
G ~ there are rites of passage & rites of passage . . . this is most definitely a WRONG of passage! But man, did it make me laugh! (Does it come in "plus" sizes?

Linda
April 27, 2007, 08:49 AM
Your alias on a forum is IM283

You're from Knox Cty., TN

Unless the population of Knox Cty is one, definitely not enough to go on to find you. But, I bet you own guns, and *maybe* even conceal carry.:confused: GASP!

My alias on a forum is Linda. Chances are, that's really my first name.:uhoh:

I am from central Ohio. Luckily, central OH encompasses several counties. Good luck finding the correct Linda.:rolleyes:

Oh crap, I've also been vocal that I'm a leader with Buckeye Firearms Association. Oh oh, I'm also the only female leader with BFA!!!! AND I've written articles for our website about concealed carry!!! I'm screwed!:eek:

Ask me if I care?:cool: Molon Labe!

Im283
April 27, 2007, 06:33 PM
thanks for all the feedback!

A lot of you were in educating mode, some of you were kicking on me, and a few took the low road, some of you ought to be doing comedy!! All in all I found it to be a very entertaining thread.

And I have decided that since it is a gun forum it is okay with me if you go on and let it out about your first time carrying, although you won't read about me doing it.

Regards

joesolo
April 27, 2007, 09:44 PM
bet ya a buck the first time the cross dresser cross dressed he/she posted it on the cross dresser forum for support or whatever it is they need to feel ok with it.

kungfuhippie
April 28, 2007, 02:44 AM
bet ya a buck the first time the cross dresser cross dressed

:confused: :uhoh:

I need to remember to point out when I'm BEING SARCASTIC!!!! :banghead:

Oh well, I'd be one hellova ugly girl anyway:D

Cosmoline
April 28, 2007, 03:00 AM
Part of the reason is to exchange tips about the best methods. What works, what doesn't. Yeah--pretty much like cross dressing :neener:

Seriously, though, the "concealed" aspect is meaningless online. And it's not as though it was some state secret. Plenty of times when I'm carrying concealed I've also got a firearm openly carried. Earlier today I had five firearms on my person--I kid you not. Two large Mosin-Nagants slung in socks and three handguns in a case. And I hailed a cab! That's Alaska for you.

If you enjoyed reading about "Conceal carry, why the need" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!