I was bored so I was thinking if this is possible.

PDA

45shooter
April 26, 2007, 04:41 PM
Can the Ruger Ruger Super Single Six be converted to fire 38 Special +P?
Maybe a 5 shot instead of 6 but in 38 caliber. A Super Single Six in such caliber with 5 1/2" barrel would be the perfect packing revolver when out in the woods.

Yeah, I know it would be expensive to make and fit a new larger cylinder and install a new barrel but the result would be worth the cost.

What do you say?

If you enjoyed reading about "I was bored so I was thinking if this is possible." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
April 26, 2007, 04:58 PM
I talked to John Gallagher, an established Ruger plumber, about that once.
He said it was possible, but he preferred to go to 9mm P because opening up the channel under the loading gate big enough to pass the rim of a .38 was at risk of cutting into the track for the transfer bar. He said he could do a .38 on an Old Model Single Six; I don't recall if 5 or 6 shot. OAL would be very limited. Read what Hamilton Bowen said about making a Single Six into .32-20.
http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/NEW/Projects.htm#.32-20_Ruger_Single-Six

If you just wanted to go shooting, you could haunt the shows, stores, and sale sites for a .32 H&R Magnum Single Six. Some of those get loaded pretty heavily.

If you enjoyed reading about "I was bored so I was thinking if this is possible." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!