03A3 help please.......

PDA

SigfanUSAF
April 26, 2007, 08:04 PM
I've got a CMP demilled A3 I'm finally getting around to "de-de-milling".
I've got the barrel off, the cutt-off removed, and most of the weld material out of there.
Does anyone have a good picture of the magazine cutt-off area on an 03A3 that I can use as a pattern to remove material? Preferably with the cutt-off removed from the rifle.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "03A3 help please......." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
deadin
April 26, 2007, 08:15 PM
If I were you, I would have that receiver magna-fluxed before I spent much more time, effort and money on it. A good number of the "de-milled" 03's were meant to be "drill rifles" and sometimes they used unserviceable receivers to make them up.

DnPRK
April 26, 2007, 10:26 PM
All A3s were made of good steel. The only thing that would make the rifle unserviceable is if the receiver ring is cracked or welded. A weld way back around the cutoff shouldn't matter.

Click the link. Picture #68 is a good shot of the cutoff area.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/03a3/rifledisassemble/index.asp

Sunray
April 26, 2007, 11:38 PM
Listen to deadin. Milsurp rifles were "de-milled" for a wide varienty of reasons. Being unsafe to shoot is one.
How'd you take the barrel off?

Jeremy2171
April 27, 2007, 03:58 AM
Also brand new rifles were demilled. However most of the time unserviceable weapons were destroyed and NOT used as drill rifles.

glimmerman
April 27, 2007, 01:04 PM
IF THE BARREL WAS WELDED TO THE RECIEVER DO NOT MAKE THIS INTO A SERVICABLE RIFLE!!!!!! THE WELDING ON THE RECIEVER RING HAS WEEKENED THE HEAT TREATING!!!!!!:banghead:

SigfanUSAF
April 27, 2007, 05:08 PM
IF THE BARREL WAS WELDED TO THE RECIEVER DO NOT MAKE THIS INTO A SERVICABLE RIFLE!!!!!! THE WELDING ON THE RECIEVER RING HAS WEEKENED THE HEAT TREATING!!!!!!

Re-heat treating is part of my plan for this receiver. No worries.

If you enjoyed reading about "03A3 help please......." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!