Sheriff Offering Reward For Stolen īSuperī Guns

PDA

collateral
April 26, 2007, 10:56 PM
The Lucas County Sheriff's Office and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) needs the public's help in locating some serious fire power.

Thursday morning, Lucas County Sheriff James Telb announced a reward of $5,000 for any infomation leading to the recovery of two machine guns and ammunition stolen from a Springfield Township apartment about a month ago.

The guns are an M60, 7.62 caliber machine gun; a Phoenix Armony model A (Uzi) 9mm machine gun, and a GEM 9mm silencer and ammunition.

The guns are worth more than $50,000

Telb says, the Sheriff's Department in on the trail of whoever took the weapons, "They've gotten to the point where they have some really good leads, but it might take a little incentive for people to come forward and $5000 we believe to be good incentive for somebody to give somebody else up."

If you have any information about this burglary and the weapons which were taken from a unit at the Country Trace Apartments off Dorr Street in Springfield Township, call Crimestopper at 419-255-1111.

taken from: http://www.foxtoledo.com/dsp_story.cfm?storyid=83715&RequestTimeout=500

Youd think that if somebody had 2 full autos in their possession, ESPECIALLY an M60, they would take care of them enough to have them locked in a safe or something. Im about to watch the full story on the 10 o'clock news, Ill post more details soon.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sheriff Offering Reward For Stolen īSuperī Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Flyboy
April 26, 2007, 11:25 PM
The guns are worth more than $50,000
$50k to the insurance company. Black market? Not a chance. Heck, the $5k may be better than the black market value.

heypete
April 27, 2007, 12:48 AM
Youd think that if somebody had 2 full autos in their possession, ESPECIALLY an M60, they would take care of them enough to have them locked in a safe or something. Im about to watch the full story on the 10 o'clock news, Ill post more details soon.

What's to say they didn't?

Most burglars aren't going to bother cutting a safe, even an RSC, unless they believe there's something valuable inside. Inside a gun safe, they could find some documents, Grandpa's old deer rifle, or other stuff not really valuable on the criminal market.

I suspect that the thief knew the machineguns were in the apartment and knew how to defeat whatever security measures the resident had. Most apartments have pretty thick walls, so even if the resident had a TL-30 rated safe, the thief could use an angle-grinder to cut it open without arousing the attention of neighbors (or if they ask, he could say he's a contractor and doing some remodeling in the closet).

Goes to show you why having a burglar alarm (both on the building and on the safe itself) is a prudent thing, particularly when you own NFA stuff -- even if it doesn't send the criminal running, it gets the cops on their way, limiting the amount of time the criminal has to work. I doubt anyone could open a TL-30 safe (or even some RSCs) enough to remove guns given 5 minutes with a piercing siren going off.

Having a netcam capable of taking pictures independently and sending them off site (like the wireless AXIS 206W (http://www.axis.com/products/cam_206w/)) can be handy as well. Sure, you end up with an email inbox with pictures of you accessing the safe all the time, but it can be handy if someone breaks in.

Also, what's a GEM silencer? Perhaps they mis-wrote Gem-Tech?

collateral
April 27, 2007, 02:49 AM
You make a lot of good points... I believe it was a Gem-tech but cant say for sure.

Ive been to the apartments that it was stolen out of, if somebody coughs one apartment over, and there is no TV/radio on in yours, you can hear it.

I dont know how the theives/theif got these guns, but he did, and the police are having a fit about it. I noticed a lot more police out patrolling the shady areas today.

heypete
April 27, 2007, 02:52 AM
Good for the cops...stolen NFA items are bad enough in that they're irreplaceable...even worse that they're in the hands of criminals.

Though I can't really imagine any practical criminal use to an M60. :D

Hopefully the guns are found and readily returned to their rightful owner.

Beagle-zebub
April 27, 2007, 02:59 AM
Lorcins, Jenningses, Ravens, M60s...why do criminals like unreliable guns?:p

If you enjoyed reading about "Sheriff Offering Reward For Stolen īSuperī Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!