Sighting in your expensive new deer rifle

PDA

280PLUS
April 27, 2007, 01:09 PM
1. Shiny new, high-powered deer rifle.............. $1200.00

2. Quality, high-powered scope........................ $ 550.00

3. Bore sighting device..................................... $ 140.00

4. Forgetting to remove the bore sighting device prior to shooting?

Priceless !

If you enjoyed reading about "Sighting in your expensive new deer rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Werewolf
April 27, 2007, 01:12 PM
:o :fire: :banghead: :(

quatin
April 27, 2007, 01:13 PM
Wasn't this posted before and debunked as a hoax?

waterhouse
April 27, 2007, 01:15 PM
Wow.

Looks like the stock is OK, time for a new barrel I guess.

Wow.

Geronimo45
April 27, 2007, 01:16 PM
Would that be classified as a SBR?

MilsurpShooter
April 27, 2007, 01:20 PM
Didn't Mythbusters do this and couldn't replicate exactly?

Eyesac
April 27, 2007, 01:24 PM
Wow, scary.

pdowg881
April 27, 2007, 01:24 PM
Mythbusters bust a lot of myths based on bad experiments.

glockman19
April 27, 2007, 01:26 PM
Wow. A good reason to sight in a scope the old way. looking down the barrel as it is fixed on a target 100-200, (depending on your zero), yards away and then setting your scope to it. It's never failed me. I hate sticking anything down the barrel of a gun or rifle, except a bore snake or brush, bore mop, and a few patches for cleaning and/or light oiling.

280PLUS
April 27, 2007, 01:49 PM
Wasn't this posted before and debunked as a hoax?Good question. Snopes has nothing other some discussion about how it was deemed plausible by Mythbusters. I'd say it would be about things like how tightly was the sighter in there and how hot of a rifle round were they shooting. The only way to find out is try it yourself? :eek:

:D

doubleg
April 27, 2007, 01:53 PM
I know someone who had one of their kids shove a crayon down the barrel of his rifle. Had around the same result.

ArmedBear
April 27, 2007, 02:03 PM
Double waste!

$140 for a laser boresighter that probably is good for about 5-10 MOA, and then the boresighter he wasted his money on caused this, as well.

You can get close enough just by putting the gun in a rest, taking out the bolt, and looking down the barrel. That's all the laser does.

The laser really only becomes useful when you have a gun whose action won't allow you to look down the barrel, like a lever action or an autoloader.

quatin
April 27, 2007, 02:08 PM
Good question. Snopes has nothing other some discussion about how it was deemed plausible by Mythbusters. I'd say it would be about things like how tightly was the sighter in there and how hot of a rifle round were they shooting. The only way to find out is try it yourself?

One obvious giveaway is how the barrel is CLEANLY cut in 4 equal slices.

RavenVT100
April 27, 2007, 02:18 PM
You want to know what I did last time I mounted a scope?

I put the receiver on a rest across my basement, then taped a tiny black dot on my basement wall ten yards away.

I centered the bore on the dot.

I centered the scope on the dot.

I did not have to adjust the scope more than 4 MOA on either axis from dead center when I got to the range.

scrat
April 27, 2007, 02:22 PM
i thought i saw this on handguns.com

Leanwolf
April 27, 2007, 02:51 PM
I believe that with a Vise Grip, some baling wire and a roll of Duct tape, that fellow oughta be ready for deer hunting this Fall. ;)

L.W.

280PLUS
April 27, 2007, 04:30 PM
I don't know, he may need some bubble gum in there too before it'll be like new again... :p

Eyesac
April 27, 2007, 05:36 PM
Epoxy :)

longrifleman
April 27, 2007, 05:43 PM
What amateurs. JB Weld.:neener:

redneck2
April 27, 2007, 06:04 PM
Kinda looks like when Bugs Bunny stuck his finger in Elmer Fudd's barrel

TallPine
April 27, 2007, 06:14 PM
Back when I worked at a hardware/gun store, I used to sight in new scopes/rifles for customers with one of those "bore sights" that has the little target card sticking up above the end of the barrel.

One of the customers bought a rifle/scope combo and then went out and killed a deer with one shot without even checking the sight-in. :)

Cesiumsponge
April 27, 2007, 06:51 PM
I don't see how this could be a hoax other than the symmetry of it might make it seem artificial. There are several cases of "flower pedal" barrels floating around on the Internet for various reasons (mostly squib loads). One that comes to mind is the semi-automatic 50BMG rifle from Accuracy International. I've handled an AR15 barrel on display at a gun range that blew up like that because of a squib load (according to the guy behind the counter).

Geronimo45
April 27, 2007, 07:08 PM
That'll teach 'em not to make contact shots on the Terminator.

Chawbaccer
April 27, 2007, 08:24 PM
I've seen a couple of these at gun shops. The barrel will split right along the rifling. The gun posted is a Savage, not a $1200.00 gun. I doubt the receiver was damaged and all the shooter has to do is buy another barrel and headspace guage and be right back in business.

Car Knocker
April 27, 2007, 08:39 PM
There were no injuries. The boresighter was found most of the way to the 100 yard target holders. The rifle was a garden-variety Savage chambered in .30-06 Springfield. The event occurred on 30 September 2006 at a gun club range in Vancouver, Washington. Photos by Karl Leffler.
http://www.thegunzone.com/kablooey.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Sighting in your expensive new deer rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!