So im about to buy a Taurus .454 "Raging Bull"......

PDA

TN454RB
April 27, 2007, 02:21 PM
What do you guys think of the gun? Is there a cheap place on the internet to buy ammo for this beast in TN?

I heard you can use colt .45 ammo for this gun... Is this correct? Thanks!

Jeff

If you enjoyed reading about "So im about to buy a Taurus .454 "Raging Bull"......" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DogBonz
April 27, 2007, 02:38 PM
I heard you can use colt .45 ammo for this gun... Is this correct?

Yes, you can shoot 45LC in a 454

I think that cabela's had "bulk"454 in one of their catalogs. Also, try Midway USA and ammoman.com

taliv
April 27, 2007, 03:10 PM
it's a fantastic gun. i have the same, but in 480ruger caliber. i STRONGLY recommend you take up reloading for this caliber. cost delta between factory and handloads is extreme.

TN454RB
April 27, 2007, 03:41 PM
yes, i have looked into reloading.

When using a .45 round, 230 grain, hows the recoil? does it still kick pretty good? Or am I only gonna get that out of a .454 cal, 280-300 grain bullet?

At a difference of .60-.75 cents a bullet, id much rather use the .45 cal round for the most part, and only the .454 cal round when I feel like spending $1 every time I pull the trigger.

WoofersInc
April 27, 2007, 05:43 PM
When using the full power 454 loads you'll defintely feel it. However with the 45Colt load it makes shooting that gun a blast. I hardly ever shoot the 454 rounds in it any more. I figure why beat myself up when I'm shooting just for fun.

Darth Muffin
April 27, 2007, 06:00 PM
Heh, you can't use "cheap" and ".454" in the same sentence :) It's all around $1/round, give or take 10%. Best bet that I've found is to visit some gun shops that have been around a while, they mave have a few dusty boxes of .454 still on the shelf at 2002 prices. I've picked up a few hundred that way, and am now reloading. If you reload you may want magnum-specific bullets like the Hornady XTP magnum. I've heard at max loads regular .45 bullets just won't hold up.

But regarding the gun, I love mine. No problems with it at all. Very accurate, nice SA trigger, and the grip helps a lot. It's a bit of a pain to clean, as are most revolvers, especially stainless magnums :(

bakert
April 28, 2007, 10:49 PM
"Heh, you can't use "cheap" and ".454" in the same sentence"

Actually, although less costly that .454s, there aint no such thing as cheap .45 Colt rds either.:(

trueblue1776
April 28, 2007, 10:52 PM
Do they still Have "RAGING BULL" in huge letters on the side of the barrel? Nice gun, but the billboard on the barrel kinda twists my panties.

Sundles
April 29, 2007, 01:49 AM
The Raging Bull is too big and heavy for all day carry in steep country. Not my cup of tea.

izmarkie
April 29, 2007, 10:36 AM
The Raging Bull is too big and heavy for all day carry in steep country. Not my cup of tea.

As opposed to other revolvers chambered in 454? The Super Redhawk is about 10 oz lighter and chambers one more round, and the 460XVR is 10 oz heavier...

TN454RB
April 30, 2007, 10:16 AM
Well after developing a long term budget for the .454, i've realized that it is just TOO expensive for the rounds, I haven’t ruled it out YET though, I’m looking at the raging bull .44 cal revolver now. What do you guy think of this gun?

http://www.taurususa.com/images/imagesMain/444SS8.jpg

For those who have shot .45 colt ammo out of the .454 RB, does it still have a pretty good kick with those rounds? Is it still a lot of fun to shoot?

I’m buying either the .44 RB ($493.00, new) or the .454 RB ($683.00, new) tomorrow. Your input is appreciated!!! thanks!

jeff

Lightsped
April 30, 2007, 05:43 PM
I love mine. I bought it two years or so ago and have yet to fire it. I still love it though....

http://www.neospeed.org/images4/myragingbull454021206.jpg

http://www.neospeed.org/images4/myragingbull454b021206.jpg

NRA UR2
May 5, 2007, 07:43 AM
I was on a waiting list for 6 months to get one of the first Raging Bulls in 454. When I finally got it I was totally disappointed. It would only fire double action every 2nd or 3rd shot, then rotate the cylinder and try again and after the 1st or 2nd try it would fire.I sent the gun back to them twice and got the same answer each time...it didn't do that when they fired it...and they sent me all their fired shells to prove it.(what a joke) I finally gave up and relegated the gun to my showcase and its high gloss finish. To me Taurus is nothing more that a poor S&W knockoff. Any time I get a chance I tell my collector friends to stay away from Taurus. Fortunately, to a man they already know it.

NRA Benefactor

geo815
May 8, 2007, 12:45 AM
I owned mine for about 6 months. I put about 1,000 rounds through it - mostly 45LC. It's much cheaper and easier to shoot.

While my gun never gave me a lick of trouble, I couldn't justify keeping it in my safe. The action was good and it was as well balanced as a heavily compensated, 8.75" gun can be. I've owned a couple Taurus revolvers and I've always ended up selling them. The S&W's and Ruger's keep multiplying.

Tinmancr
May 8, 2007, 08:09 AM
I would definitely go with the Ruger instead of a Taurus, patriotism aside I love Rugers.
Only one I didn't like was my Mini14, mostly because it was too spendy to shoot.
Also the Ruger are trusted and rated by experts "Buffalo Bore" well at least one expert.
However I really don't see the attraction of the .454 it is not all that.
.480 is OK And Ruger!, 460 is better by far, .44 is cheaper and not much weaker oh yeah and the ever infamous .500 Smithy.
not even taking into account all the Linebaughs.
or the auto only or used to be at least .50ae
just what do you need so much gun for?
I'm sure there's an old fan that would say .357 is plenty.
maybe even the venerable .41 mag.

ScottsGT
May 8, 2007, 08:39 AM
I had one in .44 Mag. Real pussy cat to shoot with all that weight. I decided that it was not a good idea on my part to handgun hunt, didn't like wearing hearing protection while hunting. I can handle firing a .308 once without hearing protection, but not a .44 mag. Be warned though, resell value is very low. I practically had to give mine away.

kellyj00
May 8, 2007, 08:41 AM
Taurus revolvers are decent IMHO, but I'd definitely pass over anything that had a tattoo of "RAGING BULL" on the side of it.

If you enjoyed reading about "So im about to buy a Taurus .454 "Raging Bull"......" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!