Semi-Auto or Lever Action?

PDA

Milkmaster
April 27, 2007, 03:48 PM
Nowadays I shoot a bit more than in my past. I like to keep my guns clean and consider it a part of the hobby and not really a chore, but it does take time. I've always liked having a .22 rifle around for cheap shooting and for the newbies or kids to shoot.

I noticed somthing this past weekend that made me consider selling my 10-22 for a lever action .22 ( I am fond of the Henry with the brass body). I was cleaning up after shooting a Winchester model 94 in 30-30 cal when I noticed the lever action just wasn't dirty at all. Makes total sense now since it is not a semi-auto that gets dirty from the reoil gases etc. I don't do a disassembly cleaning of the 10-22 but once a year, but it is a pain. SO... I was thinking of making my .22 a lever action for ease of cleaning etc or as an excuse to the wife anyways :)

How about you folks out there? Does the lever action stay cleaner and therfore make you sometimes choose it over a semi-auto (in any caliber if that matters)?

If you enjoyed reading about "Semi-Auto or Lever Action?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DMK
April 27, 2007, 03:53 PM
Lever actions, bolt actions and pump actions will definitely be cleaner in the receiver.

When the semi-auto cycles, a lot of residue and powder will blow back into the action. The report is often louder with a semi-auto.

I still prefer the semi-auto. I won't choose a manual action specifically because semi-autos get dirty unless I know I'll really be pressed for time to clean it when I get home.

Rangr44
April 27, 2007, 03:58 PM
Please consider that you're comparing apples to oranges, when comparing fouling from a centerfire rifle to a .22 rimfire - which is much dirtier, as you've found out.

It doesn't have much to do with the action type.

A lever .22 will get just as much powder residue in the innards as any other rimfire, shot-for-shot.

If you're going for ease, then get a gun that's EZ to clean; but if you're buying for pleasure, then get whatever - you said the Henry floats your boat, so, why not?

DMK
April 27, 2007, 04:08 PM
A lever .22 will get just as much powder residue in the innards as any other rimfire, shot-for-shot.Respectfully, I disagree. My Marlin 39A stays pretty clean inside after shooting. I just wipe the bore with some CLP on a boresnake. My Marlin 60 needs a thorough tear down and full cleaning after being shot. The the inside of the receiver and bolt get filthy. Same thing with my Ciener.

If you enjoyed reading about "Semi-Auto or Lever Action?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!