Smith -Accuracy Problem

PDA

mes228
April 27, 2007, 06:50 PM
I'm a Smith lover and have had many models all were reliable and accurate. Except this one! I have an absolutely mint Model 586 with a 4" barrel. Thats a Model 19 with a heavier lugged barrel and cylinder (L-frame). It should shoot 2" groups at 25 yards or less. It doesn't come close. Maybe 4-6 inches with two types .38 special +P ammo I've tried. I've probably had a dozen Model 19's all were tack drivers, 2" or so. I have a Ruger GP 100 that's a 2" gun. This 586 has the best double action trigger I've seen and a great single action. Everything is tight, good tight cylinder with little end play or movement, crown looks good, great adj. sights that are not loose, rifling looks good. I went to the range today and My Glock 23, Ruger GP100, Ruger Black Hawk, all shot about 2" - 2 1/2" from a rest. This 586 shot patterns not groups. I'm bummed as I love this gun, but will not have a pistol that won't shoot better than I can. Help!! Any suggestions appreciated. I normally shoot .38 +P specials but bought 2 boxes Rem. .357 hoping they'll be more accurate.

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith -Accuracy Problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wcwhitey
April 27, 2007, 09:04 PM
I offer no suggestions but do offer sympathy. I had a 3" model 65 that could do no better than minute of barn in terms of accuracy. Never got a decent group with this gun and could not figure out the cause. Sold it with full disclosure for what I paid. Bill

Will5A1
April 27, 2007, 09:25 PM
Out of round/expanded chamber's in the cyclinder? Is it accurate from any of the chambers? Maybe a cyclinder face not square with the breech of the forcing cone, not enough to see but enough to cause inaccuracy? That sounds like a tough one, hope you get it figured out.

qbpc
April 27, 2007, 09:25 PM
Do you have a Gunsmith buddy? Have him use range rods this checks cylinder alignment and let him look at the forcing cone. My 586 loves my hand loads of wadcutters. Less than 1 inch from rest at 25 yards.
BB

coelacanth
April 28, 2007, 04:10 AM
a cylinder alignment problem as was mentioned before. Try numbering your chambers and firing a 3 or 4 shot group using only that chamber at a time. Have you talked to S&W about the problem? Goofiest thing I ever tried to track down was a loose sight adjustment screw. Threads were partially stripped and it would jump during recoil - easy to fix but hard to figure out. Good luck.

mes228
April 28, 2007, 07:48 AM
Yes, I did speak with Smith $ Wesson. I was told the Model 586 was one of the most accurate guns they have ever produced. Normally less than 2" at 25 yards and never more than 3". They wanted me to ship it in and have the custom shop go over the pistol, for a fee (after a written estimate). It's easier to sell the pistol than ship, wait for an estimate, wait for repairs, wait for shipping. I think I'll keep looking and possibly take to a local gunsmith and see if he can figure it out. I'd love to keep this gun, it's beautiful, very well made, absolutely great trigger - especially in double action. But only combat accuracy at best, if that.

Walkalong
April 28, 2007, 09:14 AM
If you really like it so much......get Smith to fix it. I bet the charge will be nominal. :)

mes228
April 29, 2007, 07:49 AM
BTT

357wheelgunner
April 29, 2007, 09:43 AM
My wife, on her first shot EVER from a wheelgun, hit a milkjug 100 yards away with a 3" model 65 shooting .38+P WWB, single action of course.

I don't know what could be wrong with your guns, I've never seen an inaccurate wheelgun...

gringolet
April 29, 2007, 09:50 AM
any number of possibles...
start with the obvious..ejector rod alignment
run slected dowel or inspect with good light for bulge/damage in bore
then, forcing cone..gap and angle...
and muzzle, damaged..cut to fresh 11 degrees...
this should give you a good start on fixing problems...
if still issues..try
Alex Hamilton at ten ring precision in San Antonio...
good luck.

.45man
April 29, 2007, 10:09 AM
One other thing to do is mic the exit hole diameter of the cylinder. The exit holes should mic right at the same diameter or slightly smaller than the bullets you are shooting. If the cylinder exit holes are bigger than your bullets.......bingo!!...might need a new cylinder fitted.

In any case, I have sent several of my Smiths back to the factory for tune ups, reblues, fixes, and they have done ok by me for the most part.

Send it back, get it fixed......Or sell it to me and I will do it for you:D :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith -Accuracy Problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!