Bushmaster AR-15 M4a3 or Colt AR-15 6920???

PDA

dasanii19
April 27, 2007, 07:10 PM
Which would you choose?

Colt AR-15 (LE6920) PRICE- $1230

Or

Bushmaster (BCWA3F-16M4) PRICE- $875

???

If you enjoyed reading about "Bushmaster AR-15 M4a3 or Colt AR-15 6920???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nomad, 2nd
April 27, 2007, 07:14 PM
The cheaper one. I'd also look into Rock River.

Actually I would NOT go colt due to their nonstadard parts.

10-Ring
April 27, 2007, 07:16 PM
IF I could, I'd love to have a Colt (I have a thing for Colt products) in my stable but really, I'd be happy w/ either...

Jeff White
April 27, 2007, 07:32 PM
The Colt.

Jeff

dasanii19
April 27, 2007, 07:33 PM
nonstadard parts, what do you mean?

Joe the Redneck
April 27, 2007, 07:50 PM
OK, I will say nothing aginst the Colt. I would rather you look up the "no standard parts" issue for yourself. AR15.com should have tons of stuff on it. All I will say is that I have never heard of anyone haveing Colt specific prolems with the AR15.

Having said that, I have the Bushmaster and I am very pleased with it. I have what is called a "Barney Rifle", in that the black is actually a deep purple, only visable in bright sunlight. BTW-BM offer to replace it, paid shipping both ways. It didn't bother me one bit. That is the only thing "wrong" with the rifle. You might want to check the color to make sure it is black enough for you. :)

I would buy the BM

Joe

Nomad, 2nd
April 27, 2007, 08:01 PM
During the Klintoon years Colt changed the placements of a few pins... so as to make it harder to drop in M16 parts.
(And so aftermarket parts wouldn't fit)

Now I have no use for select fire, OR the M16... but I don't like things like that.

If your cool with it...

dasanii19
April 27, 2007, 08:10 PM
So what makes the colt cost so much more then the identical bushmaster? the name? parts used? anyone know

nwilliams
April 27, 2007, 08:28 PM
I vote for Bushmaster I just recently picked up a M4A3 for just under a $1000 so $875 sounds like a good deal to me on a great rifle. Nothing wrong with Colt either I used to own a post-ban Colt AR and I loved it, wish I still had it.

IMO get the Bushmaster and then spend the extra money on accessories. I just bought an Aimpoint for mine this past weekend:D

Nomad, 2nd
April 27, 2007, 08:28 PM
dasanii19:
Yep, paying for the name.

RockyMtnTactical
April 27, 2007, 08:39 PM
Neither.

Get a Stag. Better than Bushy and for less money.

As far as why the Colt cost more, it's a combination of things. Name recognition and being a supplier to the military for the M4, as well as extra QC processes that add some precautionary measures to better insure quality. However, it's debatelable as to how effective these precautionary measures are... They do provide some extra insured quality... but how much is hard to say...

That's why I like Stag. They use quality materials, take some of the same precautions as Colt (like MPI'ing bolts), and cost less than the Bushmaster...

In fact, CMT (Stag's parent company) provides many (but not all) of the parts for many of the big names out there, including Colt, RRA, S&W, etc...

MudCamper
April 27, 2007, 09:09 PM
I own both a Colt and a Bushmaster. Both are fine firearms. I'd buy the Bushmaster, because they are still in the civilian market, big time. They are friendly and helpful. They sell a full line of rifles, parts, and accessories. They want your business. Colt couldn't care less, unless you're a cop or a military purchaser. Just my 2 cents.

Bartholomew Roberts
April 27, 2007, 10:41 PM
Nomad, the Colt LE6920 has all the standard parts as a normal M4. Only the Sporter line still has the different pin sizes IIRC. The Colt is essentially as close as you get to a military M4 in semi-auto.

So what makes the colt cost so much more then the identical bushmaster? the name? parts used? anyone know

Here are the major differences between the two rifles:

Bushmaster uses the rifle front sight base instead of the F-marked front sight base. Practical difference: You may need a taller front sight post with the Bushmaster using some sights.

Bushmaster does not parkerize under the front sight base. Practical difference: You'll get a little rust there; but not much. The Bushmaster barrel pictured below was almost 10 years old when this picture was taken and it had been out in the rain and used quite a bit:
http://www.ont.com/users/kolya/AR15/B16HBAR.jpg

Bushmaster does not magnetic particle test or proof test its bolts. Colt does. Practical difference: Not much. The Colt has higher QC to prevent bolt breakage but it still happens with both models.

Bushmaster uses standard carbine handguards instead of double-shield M4 handguards. These circulate air around the barrel better; but also make the rifle hotter to hold and are narrower.

Bushmaster uses a standard rifle front sling. Colt uses a side-mounted front sling. Practical difference: The Bushmaster will roll using some tactical slings, the Colt won't.

Bushmaster uses standard AR15 feed ramps. Colt uses the extended M4 feed ramps. Practical difference - the Colt feeds hollowpoints, long OAL rounds better and is more reliable in high cyclic rate situations (full-auto, suppressor).

Bushmaster uses a 1/9 twist barrel. Colt uses a 1/7 twist barrel. Practical difference: The Colt will stabilize heavier, longer rounds better than the 1/9. With the Bushmaster, you may be limited to 69gr or less rounds (some Bushmaster barrels can handle up to 75gr, some cannot - kind of a crap shoot).

Bushmaster comes with a standard carbine buffer. Colt comes with an H-Buffer. Practical difference: Colt buffer is 1oz heavier which comes in handy with suppressors but otherwise does nothing beyond aiding reliability just a tiny bit.

Bushmaster comes with a blue extractor insert and normal AR15 extractor spring. Colt comes with a black extractor insert and heavy duty extractor spring. Practical difference: The Colt extracts more reliably; but the Bushmaster is easy enough to upgrade to the same standard for about $25.

Finally, Colt has much, much better QC than Bushmaster; but if something does go wrong, then good luck getting it fixed. Bushmaster on the other hand commonly has issues such as improperly staked gas keys, gas keys too loose, overtorqued barrels and various other minor issues; but they are very good about fixing their problems.

Those are the major differences off the top of my head. So now you just have to decide if they are worth the $355 difference in price.

Geno
April 27, 2007, 10:49 PM
MudCamper said it well. As I look at this same consideration, my choice seems to be leaning toward Bushmaster.

dasanii19
April 28, 2007, 12:53 AM
Im going to shoot for the LE6920, I know some may not agree but its what I want.

I will post pictures when I get it if anyone cares to see?

Bartholomew, thanks, very very big help!!!

glockman19
April 28, 2007, 12:58 AM
I just got a Stag model 4. Because I'm in CA I can ahve it in one of two configurations. Either with pistol grip and fixed 10 round mag. or monsterman Grip and detachable mag. I have many pre-ban 20 round magazines and 5 10 rounders so I can reconfigure at any time. I'll also be getting a second, with a M-16 Colt upper.

While filling out the paper work today I also looked at a AK and a Garand that will be comming home sooner than later.

Now all I need is more ammo.

And to answer your question...GEt what tou can afford. Stag makes alot of parts for other companies. Bushmaster has descent customer service and Colt is the name brand.

Also Chcek out: www.ar15.com you'll likely find more info there.

kennyboy
April 28, 2007, 08:23 AM
I was seriously looking at the Colt 6920 when I was shopping for an AR. I ended up going with the RRA Entry Tactical. Doing so saved my about $300. From what I found when I was researching, the main difference between Colt and other brands such as RRA is that Colt has mil-spec parts. This really is no big deal. It just means that if you would want to change a buttstock, you would have to get a new buffer tube for $40. I think there are some other parts that this affects too, but regardless, it isn't a big deal and isn't worth the extra $300. Also, people talk about how Colt parts are better made, etc. I do not know how true that is, but it seems that no matter what AR you get, it will be reliable, accurate, and fun.

I chose Rock River for a few reasons: less expensive, more custom options, chosen by the DEA and FBI over 10 or 11 other competitors. Colt and Bushmaster were probably competitors, but I do not know for certain. Look into it. I believe that no matter what AR you pick, you will be happy. I am certain that it will be reliable, accurate, and fun regardless of brand.

vanfunk
April 28, 2007, 08:29 AM
If this is going to be a range gun only, save your money and buy the Bushmaster. If you intend to use this rifle for defense or other "social" purposes, get the Colt. The Colt is the better carbine for many, many reasons, some of which have already been elucidated. PM me for more details if you wish.

HTH,
vanfunk

MMcfpd
April 28, 2007, 08:30 AM
A good choice from good choices! I've got a 6920 and I do really like it. Enjoy.

skud_dusty
April 28, 2007, 08:36 AM
I think the Colt will hold is value a little more in the long run, simply because of the name.

jem375
April 28, 2007, 08:49 AM
If I were going to pay that much money($1230) for a colt, I would go for an M1A instead or buy the Bushmaster and use the extra money for ammo.

sansone
April 28, 2007, 08:53 AM
if the extra cost doesn't hurt, colt.. bushies do fine though

Chuck R.
April 28, 2007, 09:10 AM
"You chose wisely"

Do some research, and then get the Colt. If you can't swing the Colt, then look at CMMG or getting an LMT upper and lower.

If you do a search of most of the major forums, you'll come up with some surprising opinions from folks that either work with AR15s or train people to work with AR15s for a living.

As an example here's one such thread:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=3026

I think the bottom line is B. Roberts is right:

Colt is MILSPEC except for the larger firing control pins
They do the additional testing and QC
They use the correct FSB and they park under it.
It will hold it's value
True M4 feedramps, not dremeled in after the fact.
Colt does support the civilian market, but they do supply the military and LE first.

Anything else "may" fall in the "just as good" category.

Chuck

Therapydude
April 28, 2007, 11:43 AM
I can't comment on the Bushy (since I don't own one), but I bought a Colt LE6920 in the summer of 05. Since then, I've put several thousand rounds through said rifle (including Yeager's 2 day fighting rifle class). I've had no malfunctions of any kind. I would recommend it without hesitation. Just my $.02

If you enjoyed reading about "Bushmaster AR-15 M4a3 or Colt AR-15 6920???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!