What types of things influence accuracy in AR's?

PDA

bofe954
April 27, 2007, 08:51 PM
I am going to build a varmint type upper and am wondering what I need to do do to ensure accuracy.

The barrel will be a free floated WOA armament varmint barrel.

Anything with the BCG that I should look for?

If you enjoyed reading about "What types of things influence accuracy in AR's?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bartholomew Roberts
April 27, 2007, 10:48 PM
You have a good barrel. You freefloated it. That right there will get you into sub-MOA territory if you do your part. Many people find adding a match type trigger helps. I've also read of some people having success shaving another 0.1"-0.2" at 100yds using high-end billet upper receivers like the Larue Stealth that are manufactured to much tighter tolerances than your typical mass produced forging.

taliv
April 27, 2007, 11:39 PM
the chamber can make a difference. (223 vs 5.56 vs wylde)

there's lots of other "accurizing" stuff out there that I personally think is kind of gimmicky. e.g. that little piece of plastic/rubber that people stick between the upper/lower to take the play out. also, those pins with the springs inside them.

if you're just looking to spend money, spend it on your sights, whether they're iron or glass.

Bartholomew Roberts
April 28, 2007, 12:51 AM
O yes, ammo. Find the ammo that your barrel likes and that alone will make a difference.

buttrap
April 28, 2007, 02:15 AM
good quality sights, a scope is better, trigger work and fuss with the ammo.

rangerruck
April 28, 2007, 03:14 AM
i would put ammo, first. You can take a run o the mill very avg ar, and get very good accuracy with it, if you have the patience to buy all the ammo you can, both in milsurp stuff from all over the world, to factory box stuff from wallyworld, or academy, to black hills ammo. mine likes plain ol big white box winny, 45 grains, and the remfgrd' blue box black hills 55 grains.

nwilliams
April 28, 2007, 03:42 AM
What types of things influence accuracy in AR's?

The shooter:neener:

Seriously though, I say nice trigger is crucial along with a heavy barrel, quality optics, a nice comfortable grip and of course ammo choice.

bofe954
April 28, 2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks, that's about what I was thinking. I plan on going with a decent 2 stage trigger, a good scope.

I learned about ammo with my M1A.

The nut behind the trigger...Well hopefully someday I'll learn to shoot, but for now I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something huge when assembling the upper.

mec
April 28, 2007, 10:36 AM
"yes, ammo. Find the ammo that your barrel likes and that alone will make a difference."

I bought a bushmaster predator and was determined to do the LEAST amount of load monkeying necessary to get good usable accuracy. I found that my groups with generic ball type ammunition would generally group four under MOA and one significantly out. Same thing when I reloaded the cases. What eliminated the outlying one or two shots was segregating the cases according to weight. There is quite a large variation in Fed 193, Sellier Belloit and others. This was good enough to get the groups down between .85 and 1.2" which is as good as I can shoot the rifle. The rifle itself with these loads is no doubt a good bit more accurate than I can demonstrate.

If you enjoyed reading about "What types of things influence accuracy in AR's?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!