Where do you think your guns will be in 100+ years?

PDA

nwilliams
April 27, 2007, 11:24 PM
Where do you think your most prized gun (or guns) will be in 100 or more years? Providing the government doesn't take them all away within our lifetimes, do you think someone a century or more down the line will be having as much fun shooting your favorite gun as you do today?

I'd like to think they will stay in the family, of course my only really prized guns have remained there so far, hopefully it will continue for generations to come.

I was thinking of this today as I was cleaning a rifle that belonged to my great grandfather. The gun isn't quite 100 yet but getting close.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where do you think your guns will be in 100+ years?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ZeSpectre
April 27, 2007, 11:28 PM
Helping to tame the new frontier on the next planet we colonize.

hankdatank1362
April 27, 2007, 11:35 PM
Hopefully in the hands of my son's children, or their children after that.

taliv
April 27, 2007, 11:43 PM
i hope to wear most of them out in the next few years. i keep hearing service service life on an AR is only 25k rounds.

collateral
April 27, 2007, 11:47 PM
? Providing the government doesn't take them all away within our lifetimes, do you think someone a century or more down the line will be having as much fun shooting your favorite gun as you do today?

If that is the case....I sold them. :rolleyes:

I plan on never firing my unissued SKS, I would like to keep it in pristine condition so that one day my children will be able to have the same great experiances I had.

If my .22 is still around, I would like to be buried with it, it was the first firearm I ever owned.

Hoppy590
April 27, 2007, 11:52 PM
some of them in the hands of my great grand children others long ago sold or rusted out

offthepaper
April 27, 2007, 11:55 PM
Where do you think your guns be in 100+ years?

Maybe the same place I'll be..........
in the ground.:evil:

Hardtarget
April 28, 2007, 12:03 AM
Hoppy said what I thought...in the hands of my great grand children...at the range...amazed that I paid less than $100 for the .30 carbine...or that the K31 Swiss is still accurate! Thats what I hope will be happening!

Mark.

.cheese.
April 28, 2007, 12:07 AM
maybe this will sound crazy, but one of the reasons I'm buying so many is because I want them to be there for my children, and my grandchildren, etc (when I have them).

I fear by the time they're around the 2nd will no longer be a right... so I'm trying to save them the trouble and protect them.... long before they exist.

Is that crazy?

Cliff47
April 28, 2007, 12:12 AM
Seeing as how I don't have any children, and I couldn't count on my only brother to do the right thing, I have it stipulated in my will that the accumulation (I hesitate to call it a collection) be auctioned off to the members of the Washington Arms Collectors. The proceeds of the auction to be put toward the building fund, and the executor of my estate be informed of the total selling amount for tax purposes (donation information).
I figure that will put a couple of anti-gun types in my office over the top.

ReadyAndVigilant
April 28, 2007, 12:17 AM
they'll probably be rusting at the bottom of the atlantic or melted down and formed into some type of UN Peace memorial.

MatthewVanitas
April 28, 2007, 12:23 AM
I figure that my Ruger Stainless Bearcat has the best chance of lasting indefinitely. So few moving parts, solid steel, smallbore ammo won't batter it too much, etc.

I seriously won't be surprised if it works perfectly fine after two centuries of intermittent use and a new pawl/hand or two.

Look at all the 1890s-era firearms that, though not used daily, have seen tons of use over the last century. I imagine a billet of stainless firing .22LR will hold up nicely.

rc135
April 28, 2007, 12:30 AM
What ZeSpectre said. On some Firefly-like planet, p'raps, if I'm very lucky.

Or maybe in the hands of a friend's grandkids, being fired and enjoyed. I hope so...

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well." -- Rick Hebert

"I'm free because I'm always running." -- Jimi Hendrix

"Some men are born mediocre, some achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them. With Major Major it had been all three." -- Joseph Heller, “Catch-22”

never_retreat
April 28, 2007, 01:03 AM
Hopefully in the hands of my kids. Mental note need to have kids.

Run&Shoot
April 28, 2007, 01:38 AM
Tracking down vermin wearing blue helmets?

I know they will last at least the next 50 years with me and my children as they all like to shoot. I am learning to repair most of them in the most likely parts to wear out.

More importantly I hope to instill the idea and motivation for them to do the same whether my guns sill last or not, but with their own, and keep passing on the tradition.

My Glock and 1911 should last unless the frames crack. But I plan to have a few more of each before I croak. Same for the Garands. Only one of the AKs get shot much so the others should last pretty well. All of the revolver, lever and bolt guns should last 100 years by design and the fact I don;t shoot them that much compared to the semis.

We still use my late grandfather's Win 94 .30-30 from 1916, and my dad's Savage (not near the quality of a current 110) from 1934. And all of the Mausers from the 1920s and 1930s still work fine. Even the ancient colt 1903 pocket pistol works fine. The Mossberg 500, Rem 760, and Ruger standard from the 1960s still work, though they could use new springs and extractors.

So we are still using lots of guns of various designs that are 40 90 years old. I would say most of todays models are built much better and with better materials than what we have from back then. For instance, I am buying mostly stainless steel firearms which should be even better than the plain blue ones.

Has anyone every seen a Garand that was plum wore out? I mean you can replace the barrel, bolt, springs, op rod, etc. I was reading on McCann Industries web site that a Garand has been pressure tested to 120,000 psi. It cracked the left lug on the bolt but was still able to complete a 15K round torture test at normal pressures.

Sunray
April 28, 2007, 02:13 AM
Greased up and in the pyramid with me. And there better not be any archaeologists mucking about either.

El Tejon
April 28, 2007, 09:42 AM
In the hands of family.:)

Bartholomew Roberts
April 28, 2007, 10:02 AM
If modern firearms are still an effective weapon 100 years from now, then civilization will have taken a major step backwards somewhere along the way.

Otherwise, I imagine they will be looked at much like the bow is today. A curious antique technology that is theoretically lethal; but mostly used only by a small group of people for sport.

Gustav
April 28, 2007, 10:25 AM
Hopefully in the hands of my reat grandkids being used and enjoyed as much as we enjoy old Colts Sharps Winchesters Marlins Remingtons Webleys Lugers Mausers Enfields SKSs AKs AR15s M1s and Springfields today.
They will probably be hunting with some new wonderguns using caseless ammunition and serial numbered bullets with electronic triggers titanium or alloy barrels and polymer stocks that is quick change in sizes and colors even pink.:barf:
Rifles 100 years from now may all use laser range finding scopes with auto compensation for any caliber and pistols may have at least 3 safeties.
Or by then all private ownership may be banned and whatever people have they will be quite lucky to own.:cuss: :fire:
YMMV

geekWithA.45
April 28, 2007, 11:50 AM
Having undergone nanotechnological rejuvenation, it will be hanging over my mantle when not being used.

Roadwild17
April 28, 2007, 11:54 AM
Hopefully, worn out in my great grandsons closet proudly watching as my grandson gets his son a new gun.

ptmmatssc
April 28, 2007, 12:08 PM
Some will go to my daughter . The rest get buried with me . Daughter is already worth more than I'll ever be so don't need em to sell and I'm gonna try and "take em with me" :neener:

stevelyn
April 28, 2007, 12:21 PM
Resting on the bottom of the Yukon River along with what's left of my charred remains and the boat they torched to get me there.:D

Erinyes
April 28, 2007, 12:54 PM
My most prized gun will hopefully be celebrating it's 200th birthday in grand style, in the hands of as yet unconceived great grand children.

Trebor
April 28, 2007, 02:02 PM
In my cold, dead hands.

Unless Sarah digs me up first.

tubeshooter
April 28, 2007, 07:29 PM
Maybe with family. Hopefully.

But after I'm gone.... whatever happens happens.

Nomad, 2nd
April 28, 2007, 07:50 PM
I plan on living forever.

So far, so good.

rugerman
April 28, 2007, 08:01 PM
I hope that they'll be used by my decendents in the great war of the conservatives against the damn liberals when we take over the country and burn Washington DC to the ground and kick the United Nations back to the stone age. Or for hunting and plinking. Which ever happens I won't be around to give a damn. rugerman

PistolNewbie
April 28, 2007, 08:21 PM
I have no idea since for legal reasons they can never go to my son who is our only child. :( I suppose when I am done with them, they will be sold. Or I could have them buried with me. :neener:

Mr White
April 28, 2007, 08:38 PM
My kids won't be happy about it, but my Garand and a bunch of ammo is going into the ground with me.

jlbraun
April 28, 2007, 08:46 PM
Self-replicating nanotechnological weapons will have made firearms obsolete by then. Firearms will have gone the way of the atlatl and longbow.

Mr White
April 28, 2007, 08:51 PM
jlbraun, Interestingly enough, last year, PA legalized deer huntning with the atlatl. Maybe in 100 yers, the rifle will be considered a primitive weapon for hunting and a poor mans photon-laser gun.

runfrumu
April 28, 2007, 08:52 PM
in the casket with me.

MD_Willington
April 28, 2007, 10:01 PM
In a "recycled steel" bin on its way to China...:neener:

gunut
April 28, 2007, 10:06 PM
in the foundry business they call it remelt.........

tasco 74
April 28, 2007, 10:12 PM
looks like many are going to be buried with a fine weapon...... why stick it in the ground to rust away with a dead body????????????????????????? especially a m1 garand????!!!!!!!!!!

LeonCarr
April 28, 2007, 10:20 PM
In the hands of teenage Guerrillas...WOLVERINES!!!!!!!!

:)

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

4v50 Gary
April 28, 2007, 10:52 PM
The blackpowder ones will be at the National Battlefield Parks. A couple of guns will be in museums.

fast eddie
April 28, 2007, 11:03 PM
If modern firearms are still an effective weapon 100 years from now, then civilization will have taken a major step backwards somewhere along the way.
Somehow using phasers on deer just doesn't seem right.

chemist308
April 29, 2007, 01:06 AM
The word great grandson comes to mind.

Hmmm...I wonder what a Winchester Model 12 16 guage will be worth then...

If you enjoyed reading about "Where do you think your guns will be in 100+ years?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!