Best 22 mag rifle?

PDA

joehaha
April 27, 2007, 11:47 PM
Greeting,

I just purchased a Ruger Single Six. Which has made me very happy with the 22 mag round. So my question to my fellow collectors. What is the best 22 mag rifle to go along with the Single Six? I don't care if it's bolt, single shot, semi-auto or lever action. I want the best all around new rifle out of the box. Thanks in advance for your help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best 22 mag rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chestnut ridge
April 28, 2007, 12:34 AM
The 22 magnum is a favorite of mine. I have an older Mossberg Chuckster
that is accurate. I have a Marlin 922 semi-auto that is over built and
heavy; but seems to shoot good. Also a H&R single shot break open
rifle. This is one of the better deals going right now. It came scope
ready with an attached mount, and a nice rubber pad and decent looking
laminated stock for under 150.
I want one of the taurus pump rifles in 22 magnum; and the Winchester
9422 would be nice. The CZ bolt rifles are hard to beat for value and
accuracy. I would avoid the Ruger 10/22 in 22 mag; as many report
these are jam-o-matics.

doubleg
April 28, 2007, 12:43 AM
Only 22mag I ever shot was a marlin 925m. To say the least I was impressed. :cool:

rangerruck
April 28, 2007, 01:07 AM
for new, i would say a cz or a brno 611 would be it. for old , the mossy chuckster is allways debated as the number 1 to 3, for accuracy. Now I must say, that ANY old marlin, wood stocked, is very good. the garand/carbine looking 99's are very nice , heavy made and unique. but the best of the marlins would have to be the 780 series, tube feds or mag feds. They were heavy, full sized rifles, beautifully made, with great wood and checkering, and here i would also put this series of 22 mags as a top 5 all time, in 22 mag accuracy.
of course ruger in 22 mag is interesting, but accuracy, and durability is iffy , from what i understand. Ruger's 22 mags, in bolt fed though, are classic styled and have a good reputation. there is also a few made with a more futuristic or modular look , such as magtech, or Excell arms. Also a very interesting one, if you can track down, Would be a Jaeger Italy, copy of an Ak or maybe also an ar, but the ak for sure, in 22 mag. supposedly wonderfully made, impeccable parts, and wonderfull accuracy , from a semi auto , 22 mag.
That being said, since I like the classics, a new cz or brno would be so kule, and for a used , go to a gunstore or gunshow, and look for the mossy, or the marlin 780 series. quite yummy.

Old 112
April 28, 2007, 01:47 AM
Both Savage and Marlin bolt actions have a good acurracy reputation. I believe Savage has added the Acu-trigger to the 22 lineup, and Marlin has improved their trigger, also. There are many loadings availabe these days in 22 magnum, so finding a very acurrate round should not be to hard a task. My older Savage 65M really likes Fed. 50gr jhp, but will not do better than 3 or 4 inches at 100yards with anything under 40gr, and sometimes much worse with the 30 to 33gr. stuff. 22 magnums are just plain fun. Old 112

ftierson
April 28, 2007, 02:42 AM
I have been quite happy with one of the Remington M597M rifles...

Forrest

Dr.Rob
April 28, 2007, 03:08 AM
Marlin Bolt rifles are great and simple and inexpensive, the trigger leaves much to be desired though, but as a way to get into it cheap... Marlin is a great choice.

The CZ bolt gun has a very good rep. I'm not fond of the sheet-metal trigger guard, but these rifles shoot!

I'm pretty sure Savage makes a bolt rifle with an Accutrigger.

I'd give those three a close look.

joehaha
April 28, 2007, 05:52 AM
Thanks guys,

This is just the type of info I'm looking for. What about lever guns? Ruger 96/22? Again thanks in advance for your help.

351 WINCHESTER
April 28, 2007, 12:52 PM
You can't go wrong with a cz452 or 453. As for the sheet metal trigger guard don't worry it's big enough even when you are wearing gloves.

For your information at least the trigger guard is steel. Can't say that about marlin, savage, etc. Mostly plastic or pot metal.

Get the cz.

rangerruck
April 28, 2007, 01:35 PM
for a lever, also don't forget Taurus. but for old , the king would proly be a marlin levermatic 56, if you can find it. just a fabulous rifle, with a futuristice use of cams, for a super short , super fast lever throw. If you can find the wone made in '55, it is all 100% steel. dont know if they made the ones in '55 in 22 mag, though, i know they made them in 22lr. after that, marlin swithced to the common sloped back, aluminum receiver, but the rest is still all steel.

FMJMIKE
April 28, 2007, 09:22 PM
I just bought a Marlin 925M to go with my Ruger Single Six.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/mbmphoto/Marlin925.jpg

Milkmaster
April 28, 2007, 09:29 PM
I don't know about it being the BEST .22WMR rifle, but I have been salivating over the Henry Golden Boy in .22 mag

CB900F
April 28, 2007, 11:01 PM
Joehaha;

THE best? Probably Volquartsen. Be prepared to spend something in the very high 3 to low 4 digits.

Best levergun? Probably the Marlin 1894M, everything the model 56 wants to be. Best bolt gun is debatable, although the CZ & chuckster are gonna be contenders. Best semi-auto, see above. Volquartsen produces extremely fine goods.

900F

Radagast
April 29, 2007, 10:33 AM
I don't know about best, but I'm very happy with my CZ452. I've had it for 10 years, other rifles have come and gone, this one has stayed.

H&Hhunter
April 29, 2007, 01:22 PM
Well to go along with the single six I'd be mighty tempted to buy a Winchester 94-22 in a mag or Marlin made neat little lever gun in .22 mag for a while it was based on the 39.

As far as bolt guns go I really like the Kimber hunter in .22 but they ain't cheap!

Dave Markowitz
April 29, 2007, 01:43 PM
The Savage 93G is a nice rifle. I have a lefty 93GL with which I'm pleased. Mine is pre-AccuTrigger so I need to put in a Rifle Basix sear to improve the trigger. The current ones with the AccuTrigger should be good to go right out of the box.

Mine likes CCI Maxi Mags.

atblis
April 29, 2007, 01:49 PM
I think CDNN had some Anschutzs in 22 mag on clearance. That was a while ago so they might be sold out.

Cooper

Value wise, CZ.

apxpred
April 29, 2007, 06:58 PM
Another vote for the CZ, my 452 has sent my 10/22 to the back of the safe.

kennyboy
April 29, 2007, 07:04 PM
I would recommend a CZ 452 or CZ 453 Varmint bolt action rifle. I have a CZ 452 Varmint in .17HMR. that is a tack driver, beautifully crafted, and has been 100% reliable. Check it out. You won't find many, if any unhappy CZ 452owners.

The CZ bolt gun has a very good rep. I'm not fond of the sheet-metal trigger guard, but these rifles shoot!

No offense, but the trigger guards are just fine. There is no concern over trigger guards.

WFR
April 29, 2007, 11:17 PM
To go with a classy single-action you need a classy lever-action.
Find yourself a Winchester 9422 Magnum while there's still a few out there.
You might still be able to find a new one in the box.
Just my 2 cents and speaking from experience.
WFR

2nd choice would be a CZ452

Gordon
April 30, 2007, 12:22 AM
Anschutz are very good!

Dr.Rob
April 30, 2007, 12:40 AM
Compared to their other rifles, to me the trigger guards on CZ rimfires look cheap.

Aesthetics do play a part in what I buy. It's not the ONLY criteria.

doc2rn
November 23, 2009, 10:34 AM
Ruger 77/22 Mk II is my favorite in all weather coating with a Boyds thumbhole stock.

CB900F
November 23, 2009, 11:14 AM
Fella's;

I've had a Ruger Single Six with both cylinders. Never did shoot any .22 magnums in it though, just couldn't see a reason to. Particularly at mag prices vs .22lr prices. And, as these things go, it got traded for something I thought was more useful at the time. And that decision may be about to bite me in the butt, as these things do.

Speaking of biting though, the .22 magnum bug has struck me. Also, in the past, I had a Savage model 93GL in .22lr and thought I might get another one, but this time in the magnum version. They're good guns, particularly at their price point. Well, that plan got thrown from the train, impacted spectaularly, and splattered my disposable funds all over a poor unsuspecting gun shop. I ordered a Browning left hand .22 magnum T-bolt Target/Varmint with the wood stock and blued metal. I think I coulda bought about 3.5 of the Savages for what that little excusion into wannawannawanna cost me.

Not only that, but there's the cost of the accessories. Some take no thought at all, ie. Turner sling & Talley mounts. But, what glass? Now there's a question that's gonna take some thought.

And if this thing isn't here by Christmas, there may be either a meltdown in Montana, or I'll have to convince some SEAL team to go into Browning's headquarters & "convince" them to get flippin' busy!

900F

Col. Plink
November 23, 2009, 11:23 AM
A friend of mine had what I believe was a Winchester lever-action 22mag, and could hit red wasps resting on the water and turkey vultures soaring in the air. Kind of a sad story that MS has him wheelchair bound and I'm contemplating asking if I can keep and use it, partially out of respect.

DNS
November 23, 2009, 12:55 PM
I've got three 22 mag rifles and would recommend any of them.

#1 - The Taurus pump is for out to 100 yards and fits in great at cowboy shoots.
#2 - My Savage 24 is 22mag/20 gauge and a great field gun.
#3 - My scoped Savage 93G (lefty bolt) is for out to 200 yards and the Accu-Trigger is great.

I've heard great things about the Marlins and if they made a lefty bolt I'd buy one today;).

Mike

Redneck with a 40
November 23, 2009, 05:15 PM
The Marlin 925-M is a great rifle for the money, I've got mine zero'd at 150 yards and will print 2" groups with run of the mill ammo.:)

Omaha-BeenGlockin
November 23, 2009, 05:22 PM
"turkey vultures soaring in the air"

I would suspect that's not a legal and know its not a wise venture--shooting up in the air.

HardShell
November 23, 2009, 05:23 PM
Best? Can't say.

The most fun?...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Rifles/R31leftopen.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Rifles/R31rightclosed.jpg

:D

roklok
November 23, 2009, 06:12 PM
The best of anything is highly subjective, but my vote would go to the Winchester 9422M. The Marlin 1894 is nice, but is not as slim and trim as the 9422. I have a 9422M and love it, it has accounted for many groundhogs back in PA.

bearmgc
November 23, 2009, 06:15 PM
I have a Marlin 922 semi, that is a very good shooting rifle. And Savage 93, bolt action, that is super accurate.

TankHand
November 23, 2009, 08:05 PM
I have two rifles in 22mag. Mossberg chuckster, and Winchester 9422.I wouldn't take a weatherby for either one.

salvo
November 23, 2009, 09:36 PM
Single Six and a Winchester 9422M, Like two pees in a pod!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d71/SeaOx/Winchester%209422M/Winchester9422M-2.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d71/SeaOx/Ruger%20Single%20Six/IMG_0193.jpg

FMJMIKE
November 23, 2009, 09:39 PM
I have wanted one of these since they were first advertised. Now it's mine............Ruger 77/22M VBZ .22 WMR............:D
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/mbmphoto/7722M1.jpg

Chuck E
November 24, 2009, 10:07 AM
Hey Col Plink,
I always like the 22 mag but just too expensive to shoot. I purchased a CZ bull barrel in .17 HMR. Never Never Never have had so much fun shooting rim fires before. That thing is a nail driver at 125 yards and will gut a squirrel at 50 yards. BTW I first purchased a Savage .17 HMR. Piece of junk after 200 rounds. Got my money back.

jehu
November 24, 2009, 12:22 PM
I have shot thousands of animals with the 22mag rd.. These animals were Nutria which were either swiming or running requiring quick followup shots if you missed with the first shot because he would dive quickly. So we had to use semi-autos. The very best of these was Volquartsen. Extremely accurate, lite and quick with the McMillan stock and Carbon Fiber bbl.. They are expensive and you have to keep them clean but they are the BEST if your hunting and now the Volquartsen Co. makes high cap mags for them. If you are punching holes in paper or shooting from a rested position a CZ or Anchutz bolt action are the best.:rolleyes:

Shenanigans
November 24, 2009, 04:33 PM
I've got a Marlin 25MN and it's a fantastically accurate rifle. It'll shoot nickels at 50 yards all day long and probably not much more than that at 100 (though I haven't had the chance to test that out yet). It loves the cheap CCI Maxi Mags that I can get at Walmart, too. You should be able to find a decent used one for less than $200.

I shot it this past weekend and it got to the point where I was calling parts of the bullseye before I blew them out. My girlfriend's brother brought out a dartboard target that he had printed out so we could play 501. After the first two rounds, the triple 20 was gone and I was 360 points closer to winning.

tobyking8773
November 25, 2009, 04:02 AM
Hey, might as well keep the Ruger theme going. I LOVE mine(well, OK, I will have the barrel shortened & recrowned this winter but other than that) -the accuracy, the quality/workmanship and feel of a full size rifle in 22mag :cool: Not to mention the ability to swap barrels/calibers w/ a different floorplate(to go from .xx mag to L.R. length -Brownells, ~$50) and barrels. Nothing else even compares IMHO.

U.S.SFC_RET
November 25, 2009, 05:20 AM
I have one of those chucksters. Shoots good as long as you don't heat the barrel. She will print pretty close to MOA and I can't ask anything better than that. I found her in a pawn shop. Thought the wood was yellow. It was old varnish. She came out smelling like a rose with beautiful walnut.

powwowell
November 25, 2009, 06:45 AM
I have a Marlin 25MN. It is the most accurate rifle I've ever shot. I tried to find a Remington model 5 for several weeks and couldn't. Then I stumbled across this used gem.

I'm still looking for a Ruger Single Six combo.

22-rimfire
November 25, 2009, 07:48 AM
Today, I'd probably go with a CZ 452 in 22 WMR. Tomorrow, who knows?

Offfhand
November 25, 2009, 08:50 AM
Here's on you don't see every day: A Marlin Model 57-M Levermatic in .22Mag. Fast shooting and accurate enough for prairie dogs with the 6X Pentax scope. Very few Levermatic Mags were made so Marlin collectors love to find clean ones like this.

atblis
November 25, 2009, 02:15 PM
CZ definitely.

You can get Anschutzs at a discount in 22 mag. Not as popular a caliber. That would be a very nice gun to get.

45crittergitter
December 9, 2009, 08:36 PM
Cooper.

Donald Fenton
January 10, 2010, 08:51 PM
The best is my 33 yr old Savage Anschutz Model 54M, not available any more-go with a Marlin 925M or a CZ.

Don

JT'sDad
January 10, 2010, 09:32 PM
Ruger 96/22mag was a great shooter but I prefer a pump over a lever action, so I now have a Taurus 72C. Little Carbine that is very acurate, feeds any 22mag ammo and is very fun to shoot.

dubbleA
January 10, 2010, 09:52 PM
The best fit and finish/quality along with accuracy in any rimfire IMHO opinion are going to be Cooper and Anschutz. :)

skoro
January 10, 2010, 09:55 PM
I really like my CZ 452 Varmint. I've also owned a Marlin 882ss and it was a very good, accurate rifle. But it doesn't compare well to the CZ.

NelsErik
January 11, 2010, 11:40 AM
In .22 Mag I like the Magnum Research MagnumLite MLR-1722M and the Volquartsen Superlite 22 WMR, both are built on the Ruger 10/22 action and are silly accurate, I have both along with a Magnum Research in .22LR

The Excel Arms Accelerator Rifle is also pretty darn accurate in .22 Mag...

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
January 11, 2010, 12:30 PM
Anschutz!

Having said that the CZ 452 is quite good also.

Hardshell - whatcha got there? :scrutiny: :)

HardShell
January 11, 2010, 01:39 PM
Hardshell - whatcha got there? :scrutiny: :)

That's a relatively rare and long-discontinued Grendel R-31 carbine. It was a companion to the more common P-30 pistol and shares the same 30-round flush-fitting magazine.

Really a fun little lightweight/collapsible carbine, not to mention a good conversation piece (most folks aren't familiar with them). There is some speculation that Kel-Tec may come out with a similar companion piece down the road for their new .22Mag pistol (which, itself, looks clearly to be a descendent of the P-30).

:)

Offfhand
January 11, 2010, 04:31 PM
The Winchester M-9422Mag would be a great companion piece for your Ruger. Especially when you're in a cowboy mood. And would also be a smart investment. But if top accuracy is your goal there are only three choices: Anschutz, Anschutz and Anschutz.

MAURICE
January 21, 2010, 03:45 PM
My Marlin 882 SS is way more accurate than I am. I am constantly amazed by it. I also owned a similar Marlin with a wood stock and blued barrel. Same thing with that one. I want to find it and get it back. Traded it in a moment of foolishness.

tube_ee
January 21, 2010, 05:12 PM
My Wards Western Field (Mossberg Chuckster) is accurate enough for anything you'd want to use a 22 Magnum for, and just a ton of fun to shoot.

The only downside is that they're tough to scope. You need a long-tube scope to get correct eye relief, because of the location of the ejection port and the limitations of ring placement.

I've got a 3/4" Wester Field branded 4x ("T" reticle... I'm pretty sure it's a Weaver) on mine, the scope that came with the gun originally. Even with that, I've had to put both rings ahead of the adjusting turrets to get proper eye relief. But I've got a big head, and so I tend to shoot with my head close to the receiver, rather than the more common "head back" mount. How you mount the gun determines where your scope ends up.

As far as I could find out, nobody anymore makes 3/8" dovetail offset rings anymore. Of course, nobody makes any 3/4" rings at all, so I used 1" rings and skived down scrap leather to make pads to reduce the rings down to the scope tube.

If you can get the scope situation sorted out, the gun is a hoot.

And, for all of those who wonder if the 22WMR is worth the extra bread for ammo...

Shoot one. You'll get it.

The 22 Magnum is just a sweetheart of a cartridge. The more I shoot mine, the more I like it.

--Shannon

If you enjoyed reading about "Best 22 mag rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!