Information about the small arms of the Am. Rev.

PDA

ndh87
April 28, 2007, 01:04 AM
I've got to write a paper for a history class that Im taking, and i was wondering where i could find some good information about what small arms were used in the American Revolution. IM looking for things like how they were made, where, action design, etc.

thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Information about the small arms of the Am. Rev." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hoppy590
April 28, 2007, 01:09 AM
arms of the american revolution? i believe a large number were "brown Bess" wich were a british musket. keep in mind back during these times any number of home workshops made guns. all basicly the same.
flint lock musket is really nothing more than flint, a striker and a pipe

sd
April 28, 2007, 01:13 AM
I just googled arms of the american revolution and the first hit has the three most typical long arms of the war.
http://www.11thpa.org/weapons.html

SDC
April 28, 2007, 02:17 AM
If you can find a book called "Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms" (there a new version printed every year, so there's plenty of them out there), it'll give you a run-down on the basic types, models and manufacturers.

Dave R
April 28, 2007, 01:07 PM
I disremember where I read it, but some writer said the American "squirrel rifles" were far superior to the brown bess, because their rifling and better sights (and the hunting experience of their shooters) made them accurate at very long distances. Brown Bess was smoothbore, and not very accurate. (Didn't matterto the British, whose doctrine was massed volleys.)

MikeJackmin
April 28, 2007, 06:22 PM
Arms on the continental side were a hodge-podge of imported trade and hunting arms, blacksmith-made domestic weapons, and some quickly purchased military muskets from France and other nations. Bayonets, swords and pikes played a significant role as well. As I recall, there was something called the 'committee of safety' that was responsible for procuring some of these weapons.

Here's some more links:

Committee of Safety Musket (http://americanhistory.si.edu/militaryhistory/collection/object.asp?ID=450)

http://www.jaegerkorps.org/neumanNRA.html

Pilgrim
April 28, 2007, 06:33 PM
Brown Bess was smoothbore, and not very accurate. (Didn't matterto the British, whose doctrine was massed volleys.)
Brit tactical doctrine was one massed volley, then charge with the bayonet.

Pilgrim

Kaylee
April 28, 2007, 07:18 PM
I think the squirrel rifle vs. musket comparison is a difference more of application, than of "best." Seems to be it's basically the same idea as say a nice scoped deer rifle vs. an AK. Both do their respective jobs admirably, but they're designed for different jobs. The longrifle is more accurate yes, but that tight rifled bore also reaches the point of difficulty loading with fouling more quickly, and the stock and lock are considerably lighter (and thus more fragile, considering the stab-and-bash melees that happened at the time) than a musket of the same period.

As I recall then, the use of longrifles had some notable legendary successes (King's Mountain comes to mind. :) ) which made it into story and legend - but were by and large not a primary weapon of either side then.

And I may well be wrong about this, but I believe the small-caliber "squirrel rifle" is generally of a later date than the longrifles used in the American Revolution period, gaining in popularity as the larger game of the area was hunted out... which hadn't happened as of the 1770s.

If you enjoyed reading about "Information about the small arms of the Am. Rev." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!